Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Air temp gauge?  (Read 3241 times)

jmhenrie

• Full CVO Member
  • expensive oil change

• CVO1: 2007 screaming eagle electra glide Gone
    • CVO2: 2010 screeming Eagle electra glide cvo limited black
    • CVO3: 2012 cvo electra glide Electic Orange/black
Air temp gauge?
« on: May 24, 2007, 12:57:32 AM »

Hi I know lots of you do not like the air temp gauge, but I do it just does not work. Before I take the fairing apart how much can the probe be moved? Looks like it would work better down by the wind deflectors or maybe at the base of the windsheild if there is enough extra length on the probe.
Thanks
Mike

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Air temp gauge?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 01:19:02 AM »

There is a small white box (about .5" x .75") attached to the fair brace with two wires (blue and black) going to it. This is the sensor and it can be moved wherever you want to by extending the wires. There is some play in the wires that are there.

jmhenrie

• Full CVO Member
  • expensive oil change

• CVO1: 2007 screaming eagle electra glide Gone
    • CVO2: 2010 screeming Eagle electra glide cvo limited black
    • CVO3: 2012 cvo electra glide Electic Orange/black
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 08:42:51 AM »

Thank you HD Dude
cheers
Mike

twincam

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 09:42:13 PM »

;) ;D or you can put it higher where it will measure rain more accurately

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 10:43:49 PM »

Mike.......somewhere here in the past there's a thread about that and all the Harley guages.  Somebody else said it best......."none of the Harley guages are accurate".  According to my GPS, not even my speedometer after about 65 mph.

And we all know about the temp guage and the gas guage....................
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 08:54:00 AM »

Hi I know lots of you do not like the air temp gauge, but I do it just does not work. Before I take the fairing apart how much can the probe be moved? Looks like it would work better down by the wind deflectors or maybe at the base of the windsheild if there is enough extra length on the probe.
Thanks
Mike
Mike,

I was able to make my "ambient air temp" gauge actually usable by moving the sensor to the bottom of the lower triple tree.  I had to splice in a short length of 18 gauge wire, and then mounted the sensor with 3M double sided tape.  Now it remains pretty accurate (approx +/- 2.5°) as long as you are moving.  With the sensor in the stock location, all you get is a constantly rising temp reading as the sun and the headlight build up heat in the fairing.

I still remain totally amazed that some moron at H-D actually thought an ambient temp gauge would be a good idea on a motorcycle.  Usually when riding a bike (or in a convertible), sticking a bare finger up into the air flow will give you all the ambient air temp information you need.  I think I posted my opinion a year or two ago that H-D should have just applied the money they spent on the POS air temp and voltage gauges on improving the quality and accuracy of the important gauges (fuel and oil pressure).  JMHO

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 09:11:24 AM »

Mike,

I was able to make my "ambient air temp" gauge actually usable by moving the sensor to the bottom of the lower triple tree.  I had to splice in a short length of 18 gauge wire, and then mounted the sensor with 3M double sided tape.  Now it remains pretty accurate (approx +/- 2.5°) as long as you are moving.  With the sensor in the stock location, all you get is a constantly rising temp reading as the sun and the headlight build up heat in the fairing.

I still remain totally amazed that some moron at H-D actually thought an ambient temp gauge would be a good idea on a motorcycle.  Usually when riding a bike (or in a convertible), sticking a bare finger up into the air flow will give you all the ambient air temp information you need.  I think I posted my opinion a year or two ago that H-D should have just applied the money they spent on the POS air temp and voltage gauges on improving the quality and accuracy of the important gauges (fuel and oil pressure).  JMHO

Jerry

The Guy is Now the head of HD marketing - he added another gauge (in many different styles) and It added more to the base price increasing HD's Profit while still adding value- more money for nothin'
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 09:19:51 AM by VAZHOG »

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 09:15:31 AM »

I agree with everyone that the ambient air temp gauge (Rain gauge) is not a very practical item on a bike. I also agree that time and money would be better spent on making the other gauges work properly and Harley should install a practical gauge in its place like oil temp or something else to show vital functions.
I am not a meteorologist but from what remember growing up in scouting and having school science project too, I remember that if you were making your own "weather station"and you wanted to get accurate temps you made something about the size of a birdhouse with a solid top, louvered sides, and open bottom so that your thermometer was not affected by wind,rain or sun. Somehow I don't see that on a bike. :huepfenlol2:
So I would think if you wanted to be 1/2 way accurate you would need to put the sensor behind the windshield out of the wind and some sunshade on top to prevent sun and rain from affecting your readings.
Personally I don't need a dash gauge to tell me if I am hot or cold. :huepfenlol2:

screem

• Senior CVO Member
  • Ride Sober
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 11:24:10 AM »

You mean to tell that gauge is for reading temperture's...I thought it was a condensation sorage module
2000 FLTRSEI
1995 Fatboy... Apes, Foot Clutch,Jockey Shift 6Gal Tanks/Flames
 RIDE SOBER

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
  • 07 'CUSE2 B & O ------ 09 BMW R1200GSA
    • TX
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 02:18:19 PM »

You mean to tell that gauge is for reading temperture's...I thought it was a condensation sorage module

You beat me too it  ;D

Mark

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 04:10:01 PM »

That and the fuel guage...

:huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
  • 07 'CUSE2 B & O ------ 09 BMW R1200GSA
    • TX
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 04:34:25 PM »

That and the fuel guage...

:huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

Actually my needle acts as a windshield wiper and keeps the fog of the glass...  :P

Mark

screem

• Senior CVO Member
  • Ride Sober
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 11:55:14 PM »

you know, I fairly new around here, but I like you guys....your as sarcastic as I am :jalapeno:
2000 FLTRSEI
 RIDE SOBER

REGGAB

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2007, 12:36:56 AM »

It is about useless for me.............both on my SEUC and my 02 Ultra.  Would much rather have an oil temp.  Supoose I should go buy a kit.  Dontcha think?

screem

• Senior CVO Member
  • Ride Sober
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2007, 03:49:51 PM »

I just pulled the fairing off and extended the wiring....located it down the triple tree's on the under side off the frame extension for the wiring loom...hope it makes a bit more accurate
2000 FLTRSEI
 RIDE SOBER

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 25 queries.