Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: For the Conn, Mass & Maine guys ???  (Read 5533 times)

JW

• Full CVO Member
Re: For the Conn, Mass & Maine guys ???
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2007, 08:18:46 AM »

I’m not a true Mainer like Spiderman, but I have lived here in Southern Maine for 9 of my 20 years in New England and I'll try to help you out with this one.

I think the Seacoast area of New Hampshire is awesome, love the place generally, but Maine is Maine.  You've got to get your buds up here if they haven’t been.  It’s just not that much farther up the road from Hampton Beach.

I think you would do fine in York beach.  Longs sands area of York beach has hotels/motels and restaurants and that would be just fine.  That’s also a nice surfing beach when there are waves, and if so inclined you could rent a surfboard from Liquid Dreams surfshop (and a wetsuit) from Mark and give it a go.

Better yet in my opinion, not that much further just north on Route 1 is Ogunquit.  It’s touristy but, who cares, its beautiful.  Yes, there is a Provincetown component and its a family place too, everybody coexists peacefully, you know, the way life should be.  Barnacle Billys, I hear, is quite good.  My good friends used to own a B& B in that town and they often referred their guests to that restaurant for lobstah, and everyone was happy.  I cant speak from personal experience, but that’s a pretty good recommendation.

If you want an upscale sort of a hotel/motel, there is Sparhawks, where my friends daughter works.  It would probably cost about $100+ a night.  The Anchorage is another expensive place with great views of the ocean.

If you get on Route 1 in Ogunquit, and just head north for about 2 miles, you hit Wells, Maine.  There is a motel right on that route called USA.  Here is their website  http://www.usainn.com/index.html  My friends parents, who are now in their 80's, have been staying there for at least 20 years every year.  Its clean, cheap, close to everything, may be just the ticket.  Don’t quote me on this, but I believe Jakes is right next door, or very close.  My wife and I always stop there for some chowder or fried haddock when we are in the area.  Very small, simple, quickie place for some excellent fish, cant remember if they have lobster because I’m a haddock guy when Im out and steam my own lobster at home. Mikes Clamshack is another good seafood restaurant (more of a sit down and take your time sort of a place-family casual atmosphere) close by on Route 1 in Wells I believe.

Okay, once you guys get in, have your lobster, sleep.  Next day, a nice ride would be to head north on Route 1.  and then turn right on 35 to Kennebunkport.  That’s a little touristy too, but the Bush mansion is right there around the corner about 5 minutes on the coast, called Walkers point, anyone there could direct you, and its really a nice drive.  Another option and if you want to see the real deal, head north on Route 1 from Wells, keep driving north on Route 1, past Kennebunk, past Biddeford into Saco, Maine.  Go past the Saco river, you’ll pass Rosebud Tattoo parlor on your right still on route 1.  Two lights past that is Beach Road, route 9.  Turn right, east, heading towards the ocean.  You will be traveling about 2-3 miles when you come to a stop after seeing the Saco river to your right a few times, you come to a stop sign.  Small church on your right. Your in Camp Ellis which is in Saco.  Turn right and follow that road around and you will hit Saco river.  There is a loading dock there where the lobstermen unload their catch.  Restaurant right next to it is Huots.  That’s where the locals go here (and tourists too) and it is good.  Right from the ocean to your plate.

The picture below is of the loading dock in Camp Ellis taken by my daughter last week.  That is the mouth of the Saco river as it empties into the ocean at Saco bay.  You can rent a kayak there and kayak out to wood island, which has a light house on it.  It would be a great trip if you have time. 

Have a safe trip.
2005 Cherry SEEG-

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2007, 08:42:02 PM »

Ongunquit

How the heck do you pronounce that?
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2007, 08:43:20 PM »

I’m not a true Mainer ........................

Thanks, lot of good info.

We have picked Barnacle Billy's as the destination

I'll post my idea for a route, see what you guys think.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 09:25:04 PM by porthole »

MV 2013

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2007, 09:22:06 PM »

How the heck do you pronounce that?

its indian o-GUHN-kwit
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

JW

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2007, 09:54:39 PM »

I rode by Walkers point yesterday.  Just to make the directions there a little more clear, if you head up route 1 to Kennebunk, turn right onto 35.  Very nice ride thru a beautiful Southern Maine town.  When you get to the stop light about 5 miles down the road, turn left. (If you go straight and miss the turn, you go to Gooches beach, nice spot, about half a mile down the road-another surf spot). After you turn left you will pass the lobster shack mentioned by Spiderman, over a small bridge into Kennebunkport, turn right after the bridge at the very first street you can turn right onto.  I think its called Kings Highway (fitting huh).  Then you pass the marina on your right, then some small twisties thru some very pricey real estate, then the rocky Maine coast for a mile or so until you see the Bush compound on your right-only spot with a guardhouse.  Thats Walkers point (as in Barbara Walker Bush, George Walker Bush, etc). Then, as you go straight, follow the "to route 1 signs" and it will take you right back to route 1, hang a left and your on your way back to Wells/Ogunquit.  I'm guessing thats about an hours ride, or maybe an 1hour 15 minute ride from Wells-round trip. (when either Bush goes fishing, there are 3 cigarettes boats that go out, one for the pres, and the other two for secret service.  I can see them and hear them come into "my bay", Saco bay that is, with three giant water plumes and a fighter jet above cruising.

Another very nice ride, after you go over the bridge at Kennebunkport, keep going on Route 9 until you get to Cape Porpoise.  Turn right onto the cape, you will never see a more picturesque Maine seaspot.  There is a very nice restaurant, semipricey sitdown with an unbelievable view, or, down at the end of the cape, a sit outside spot (never eaten there, my wife wasn't crazy about that one when she last went last year).  You can keep heading out on route 9 until you hit Biddeford (or chitteford as some call it), older tired industrial town, turn left on Route 1 and head back.

As i write this I cant believe I just sold my house and I am leaving this place. Packing right now.

Ride safe and enjoy.

(picture of the light house on Wood Island i took last year below)
2005 Cherry SEEG-

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2007, 02:14:54 PM »

Well Barnacle Billy's was a let down. I asked about reservations for a group, and they told me no way.

"Quick response,
Duane,
It is just a matter of economics, at that busy time of year, we cannot hold empty tables for a group. We don’t take reservations for any group.
Thanks again.
If your group came at odd hours there would be no problem.
Dawn"
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 03:14:42 PM by porthole »

MV 2013

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2007, 02:24:26 PM »

its indian o-GUHN-kwit

It's an artsy fartsy hang-out for New Yakkers with too much money and folks who probably spend winters in the Castro district of San Francisco. Wells and K-port are more eglatarian.

By the way, skip Old Orchard Beach if you get that far north. They are soooooooooooo anti-motorcycle in that town.

JW

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2007, 07:47:38 AM »

Well Barnacle Billy's was a let down. I asked about reservations for a group, and they told me no way.

"Quick response,
Duane,
It is just a matter of economics, at that busy time of year, we cannot hold empty tables for a group. We don’t take reservations for any group.
Thanks again.
If your group came at odd hours there would be no problem.
Dawn"

ALot of restuarants here do not take reservations, dont ask me why, its a Maine thing. Maybe thats what you ran into. As you travel north on route 1 there are multiple restuarants, esp in Ogunquit and Wells, and most serve lobster.  One way or another, youre gonna have some lobstah.

Also, if you begin any conversation with a New Englander with the words "yankees suck", you are more likely to get what you want.  You think Im kidding...
2005 Cherry SEEG-

JW

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2007, 07:50:06 AM »

By the way, skip Old Orchard Beach if you get that far north. They are soooooooooooo anti-motorcycle in that town.

Very true.  They really really dont like loud pipes there. However, they now have there own motorcycle officer on a HD.  He waves too.
2005 Cherry SEEG-

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2007, 08:09:50 AM »

Very true.  They really really dont like loud pipes there. However, they now have there own motorcycle officer on a HD.  He waves too.

Oh he's been there for years and if your H-D is louder than his, he waves you over and writes you a ticket

JW

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2007, 08:55:29 AM »

Oh he's been there for years and if your H-D is louder than his, he waves you over and writes you a ticket

Never noticed him before and I live in the next town over.  I do avoid OOB in the summertime, maybe thats why, too crowded.  The place is undergoing a change, they are trying to loose their "image".  Pier is undergoing an upgrade and one of the arcades has been torn down and replaced with a 5 story condo unit shops on the bottom floor, whole place has a different feel because of it.  Im sure that the clampdown on loud pipes will just get worse.
2005 Cherry SEEG-

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2007, 12:51:47 PM »

ALot of restuarants here do not take reservations, dont ask me why, its a Maine thing. Maybe thats what you ran into. As you travel north on route 1 there are multiple restuarants, esp in Ogunquit and Wells, and most serve lobster.  One way or another, youre gonna have some lobstah.

I know we will find something, I just don't want to get to Maine and then start looking.

I found a place to stay, I think. Right in Kittery after we cross the border. Litson Villas, ever here of it? Actually, they are the only place that has replied to me so far.

I might have to take a pre-ride just to scope it out. Last thing I want is a bunch of hungry firefighteres staring down at me  :-\
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 11:52:00 AM by porthole »

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2007, 12:52:33 PM »

It's an artsy fartsy hang-out for New Yakkers with too much money and folks who probably spend winters in the Castro district of San Francisco. Wells and K-port are more eglatarian.

Hey B,

Fortunately none of that applies to US!

MV 2013

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2007, 02:35:26 PM »

Never noticed him before and I live in the next town over.  I do avoid OOB in the summertime, maybe thats why, too crowded.  The place is undergoing a change, they are trying to loose their "image".  Pier is undergoing an upgrade and one of the arcades has been torn down and replaced with a 5 story condo unit shops on the bottom floor, whole place has a different feel because of it.  Im sure that the clampdown on loud pipes will just get worse.

About 15 years ago, the town embarked on this course of losing the Honky Tonk image that had been OOB forever. They redid the sidewalks and put in the turn of the century cast iron street lamps etc. Every time a bar or nightclub closes OOB PD makes sure the liquor license doesn't get transferred. They have done everything they can to make the town one big condo project. And the thing that makes me laugh is the people behind it all are the ones who moved to Maine "from away " for the Maine lifestyle. They put up with that for about three years then get themselves elected to the town council and then they work hard to make their little piece of Maine just like where ever they came from which is probably New Yak or some such place. When I was a kid, OOB was where we wanted to be with all the amusements etc. When I was a teen it was where we wanted to be because it was where all the girls were. When I was a young adult it was where we wanted to be because of the night life. Now, if I lived in Maine still, it would be the last place I'd want to be.  :soapbox:

Porthole, did you call Yokums yet ?

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2007, 09:26:40 AM »

Porthole, did you call Yokums yet ?

Yokums who  :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

MV 2013

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 21 queries.