Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Wild Ones Handlebars for a SERK - Will they help???????  (Read 7498 times)

strohkr

Wild Ones Handlebars for a SERK - Will they help???????
« on: May 31, 2007, 12:58:18 PM »

Howdy!
I've got a 2007 SERK and just can't deal with the stock handlebars.
I'm only about 5.8" with short arms - here's what's happening with my stock bars:
** I'm leaning a bit forward and to me that's uncomfortable
**Due to the width of the bars I don't have much of an elbow bend and I think that's causing some arm fatigue.
I'd like to change bars - but I really have no idea which ones to use. Some say go to the HD Heritage bars (but they don't come in 1.25") and I don't want to ruin the look of my SERK. I also don't want to put a bar on that is going to cause less control of the bike in curves and such.
Changing bars is going to cost me a ton of $$ so I'd like to do it right the first time.
I've been thinking of Wild Ones's 508's or the 517's - but I am unsure which one would be the better bar for my particular use.

I'm planning two big trips this summer and would like to have something that is a bit more comfortable than the stock bars.

I'd appreciate any suggestions that anyone has!!!!
Actually - I'm beggin' for your help!!!! :help:

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
Re: Wild Ones Handlebars for a SERK - Will they help???????
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 01:03:27 PM »

I find my Wild1 apes to be very comfortable. They are 12.5" I think you posted the 8 inchers,which probably work out great for you.My .02     Later,Q    See pic below for the bars I run
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

BalDeagle

• FLHRSE3 Candy Cobalt with Pale Gold Leafing Graphics
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do it today, tomorrow may be too late......
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 03:04:36 PM »

I think you need Hoist's help for this one Strohkr. He has replaced his stock bars with 10" apes and he is the same height as you. I think he also managed to get away with all the original equipment for this mod.

Over to you Howie.

Nige
Don't leave it until tomorrow, do it today !

110 SERK FLHRSE3
Power Commander
Doherty PowerPacc + PowerVents + Mystfree
Vance & Hines Slip ons + V & H True Duals
Lots of other shiny bits!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 05:27:31 PM »

I think you need Hoist's help for this one Strohkr. He has replaced his stock bars with 10" apes and he is the same height as you. I think he also managed to get away with all the original equipment for this mod.

Over to you Howie.

Nige

Wild 1 Chubby 10" Baby Apes use all stock cables and lines except the brakeline. Used HD extended brakeline for this and was good to go! Perfect fit for me. I'm 5-9". Good luck. Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 05:29:56 PM »

Wild 1 Chubby 10" Baby Apes use all stock cables and lines except the brakeline. Used HD extended brakeline for this and was good to go! Perfect fit for me. I'm 5-9". Good luck. Hoist! 8)

Howie's bars are good.  I'm in the 5'9" to 5'10" range also.  They felt great to me.  Only comment would be was that if you much shorter, or at least if the arms were, they might be a bit wide.  With shorter arms they could be a stretch for u-turns.

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 05:42:13 PM »

Remember you can pull the bars back a little too. 10's will work well.
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

sooiee

• Senior CVO Member
    • NC
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 10:17:51 AM »

I'd appreciate any suggestions that anyone has!!!!
Actually - I'm beggin' for your help!!!! :help:

Here is a suggestion.  Since you're internally wired...and if you plan on staying that way...be VERY careful when pulling the wires through the new bars.  Some of them are pretty small and it can get quite tight in there. 
Have patience.  If your mentality is to pull (or push) harder when something wont budge...then maybe think about having this done. 

Good luck.
J
Remember.....Just going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a motorcycle.

Bagger

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 12:16:52 PM »

Howdy!
I've got a 2007 SERK and just can't deal with the stock handlebars.
I'm only about 5.8" with short arms - here's what's happening with my stock bars:
** I'm leaning a bit forward and to me that's uncomfortable
**Due to the width of the bars I don't have much of an elbow bend and I think that's causing some arm fatigue.
I'd like to change bars - but I really have no idea which ones to use. Some say go to the HD Heritage bars (but they don't come in 1.25") and I don't want to ruin the look of my SERK. I also don't want to put a bar on that is going to cause less control of the bike in curves and such.  Changing bars is going to cost me a ton of $$ so I'd like to do it right the first time.  I've been thinking of Wild Ones's 508's or the 517's - but I am unsure which one would be the better bar for my particular use.  I'm planning two big trips this summer and would like to have something that is a bit more comfortable than the stock bars.

I'd appreciate any suggestions that anyone has!!!!  Actually - I'm beggin' for your help!!!! :help:

I run the Wild 1 Chubby 508s.  For me on the Road King I like them - I'm 5'8" with average arm reach.  They are extremely comfortable on long road trips.  They are particularly made for riders of average height and under. They are 32.5" Wide with a 16.0" Pullback - no stretching, no neck and shoulder aches from leaning to reach the bars. 

You can check out a picture of them on my bike within this thread.  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=14513.0

Wild 1 Chubby Handlebars
http://www.wild1inc.com
http://www.wild1inc.com/roadkingsonbike.html
2002 Road King Classic (117ci  (CR 10.62:1 / 
S&S 4 3/8” Flywheel / Baisley Superstock Plus Heads (83cc 1.94” I / 1.630” E)
4.125" Axtell cylinders / 4.125” JE -0.10" dished
0.030" Head Gasket / TMan 625G cam /
HPI 55mm TB / HPI 5.3 Injectors / Trask Assault A/C / FM Jackpot RTX 2-1

strohkr

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 01:52:45 PM »

I haven't done anything yet - but I'm kinda leaning toward the Wild One 10" apes - I had HD Wide Glide Apes on my Super Glide and liked them - rather than having them sky high - I brought them down which also brought them back so they fit me well. I'm thinking the Wild One Apes would do the same. I don't know why but I'm not totally sold on the 508's - I've heard both pro and con regarding them.
Thanks!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 01:57:00 PM »

I haven't done anything yet - but I'm kinda leaning toward the Wild One 10" apes - I had HD Wide Glide Apes on my Super Glide and liked them - rather than having them sky high - I brought them down which also brought them back so they fit me well. I'm thinking the Wild One Apes would do the same. I don't know why but I'm not totally sold on the 508's - I've heard both pro and con regarding them.
Thanks!

I've used the FXDWG bars on 4 other RK's. They were always perfect for me. I think these 10" WO's are better for riding. The width makes it a little more of a PIA to make U-turns , but you get used to it. These are wider than the FXDWG bars. I think you'll really like them if you liked those bars. Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 03:34:41 PM »

2007 SERK and just can't deal with the stock handlebars.
I'm only about 5.8" with short arms - here's what's happening with my

I've been thinking of Wild Ones's 508's or the 517's - but I am unsure which one would be the better bar for my particular use.

===========
Ok, I don't own a SERK buttttttt...lol I do own a FXR2.  &&&&&& I do own a 2002 RKC and am currently right now going through the same process as you with my handlebars....  I am 5'8" stocking feet, 5' 10" with socks, orthodics, and boots... Sports Coat 42 reg, 32"/33" shirt sleeve.  Ok so we are similar to Hoist as well.....

Hoist has an excellent post on this entire topic as well as having some great photos to see his end result.  +++ He was very helpful to me as well.  Personally I would listen to Hoist's view point as he has put over 5,000 miles on his bike since the middle of April...to the middle of June...and many back to back to back (at least 3 days in continuance) of 400 + mile days....that's a rider's opinion when it comes to handle bars that can afford both you and I some excellent insight as well as others.

He has stated with your 2007 SERK that you will only need to go + size with your brake line....where as for me it's different...but of course with the "SERK" model you are running a "stock" handlebar that is much larger, you also are running a hydrolic clutch as well different than my model as well....but getting back to the bars themselves....I debated and debated which size to go with....I know someone who has a 2006 Road King Custom he is 6' also 42 reg coat, 35" shirt sleeve and went with the 513's which are the 8.5" "baby" ape handlebars....I rode his bike for over 50 miles not nearly enough to tell for sure.....but after comparing what I am running now on my bike and those....he and I both felt that the WO515's the Wild1 10" "Mini" apes would be a possible choice as well for me as they provide a bit more pull back....I have ordered the 10" apes and will hopefully have them on in the next week.  I ordered them from Jenni at Charley's HD at 20% off the $219.95 price as well as the cables and other parts I needed....The drag specialties part number is:  0601-0506 (if you go to drag specialties and want to input the number drop the hyphen).  You may also want to investigate whether you will need to extend your wiring harness...and if so there is a company called Novello that has a Wiring Harness Extension Kit that comes in 8" 12" 15" extensions at roughly $58.00 or so or you can if you choose simply splice.....once again....I have no idea whether your bike needs this or not...Hoist as well as others will know....I decided not to go with the 508 or 517's for various reasons...like I said read Hoist's post...

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=11587.0

perhaps it will work to click on the above....

I hope you will keep everyone posted on your progress because many like me look to you SERK guys to help us "basic" road king owners out once in awhile.....

I wish you well....

Regards,

FXR2evo99

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 03:49:29 PM »

......by the way I hadn't yet read bagger's comments about his experience and suggestions prior to typing what I stated above....so when I was simply stating that I would listen to Hoist's ideas because of his length of riding time that includes back to back to back days....it wasn't pointed at anything in particular...

:2vrolijk_21:

Regards,

FXR2evo99

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 04:10:44 PM »

......by the way I hadn't yet read bagger's comments about his experience and suggestions prior to typing what I stated above....so when I was simply stating that I would listen to Hoist's ideas because of his length of riding time that includes back to back to back days....it wasn't pointed at anything in particular...

Regards,

FXR2evo99

Thanks for the kind words FXR. I know you'll like these bars. The seating position is perfect for our size. The seat's another thing though. I travel with an older RK Touring Bucket I picked up for my '99 RK. The shape is perfect but the padding is shot. But it beats the stock seat hands down. I'll be restuffing it with memory foam at the HS Rally in Sept I hope. But for long distances, the stock seat's gotta go too! Hoist! 8)

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 04:28:32 PM »

......and once again Hoist brings up a valid point....to make a decision on handlebars without first considering what your seat will be....is akin to picking out the best running shoes to run a 26.2 mile race (marathon) without training....you will get to the finish line eventually BUT it will be in pain....

In my opinion the seat comes first....they definitely work together....like lifting and running....both have a purpose and do different things....

The person I know for example picked out a mustang "Daytripper" and found that seat to be very comfortable on his 2006 Road King Custom...and actually it works for him for a very long one day of riding but putting 2 or more back to back and the comfort leaves.....and for someone else it might not...

I happen to enjoy my corbin classic solo seat as it not only works for me well but it provides my bride the widest seat as a passenger....(she is only 5 spuds over 100lbs so it's not that she needs a big seat).  Others would never touch a corbin.....corbins for many are a love/hate relationship...people either love em or hate em....nothing in between.

It's funny but when I did ride the road king custom bike which had the Mustang "Daytripper" on it along with the WO 513's Wild1 8.5" "baby" apes I found the seat extremely comfortable....but it doesn't have much of a rear "pillion" at all.....so I thought why invest more $$$$ in a seat that I might find very enjoyable and then when I do take a long trip with my bride and she needs the pillion of the corbin....would I find myself desiring the "daytripper"....the never ending delima.....my best dana carvey....not goin dewwww it!....not goin dewwwwww it!  :2vrolijk_21:

So just remember to have a seat you are satisfied with first then the handlebars......handlebars are a bummer to change out.....<g> a seat is easy.....both are expensive....and both have an equal result in leading to your comfort or discomfort.

Regards,

FXR2evo99

Bagger

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 04:45:03 PM »

Regards,

FXR2evo99

Yea sure, just because I'm a newbie to the forum and average 10,000 miles a year you just discounted my humble opinion - lol. 
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 04:47:18 PM by Bagger »
2002 Road King Classic (117ci  (CR 10.62:1 / 
S&S 4 3/8” Flywheel / Baisley Superstock Plus Heads (83cc 1.94” I / 1.630” E)
4.125" Axtell cylinders / 4.125” JE -0.10" dished
0.030" Head Gasket / TMan 625G cam /
HPI 55mm TB / HPI 5.3 Injectors / Trask Assault A/C / FM Jackpot RTX 2-1
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 20 queries.