Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Prostate Cancer  (Read 7281 times)

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
  • Member#2263 DSPP#136,543,099
    • CVO2: 05' VRSCSE - sold
Prostate Cancer
« on: June 02, 2007, 07:34:02 PM »

I know it's been said many times how great this site it is, for me, it's helped me met great people from all over the world and some as close as two towns away. With that I want to give back something to our CVO family and beyond.

Two years ago I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. At 42 I was considered pretty young to have it. I was told that had it not been found I would not have made it to see my 50th birthday.

Long story short, I had surgery and only have to keep up the now annual blood testing. The price I paid to get rid of cancer was a VERY small one. Some of you that have met me in person have asked about the yellow bracelet that I wear. It's to support cancer research, the Lance Armstrong foundation, and reminds me every day that I have been given another chance to try and get things right.

The reason I'm posting this is to let anybody that has concerns about prostate cancer or is going through it, gone through it or wants somebody to talk to about it. To PM or email me at any time. If there is somebody that you know that is a none member, doesn't matter, just help them get in touch with me.

This offer is also extended to the wives and girlfriends too, Donna helped me through my ordeal and learned a lot and will talk about how it has effected her too.

I just want to let people know that they are not alone going through this.

Thanks and Take Care,
Ed and Donna
"Looks like we got a date with Destiny and she's ordering the lobstah..."

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Prostate Cancer
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 07:39:55 PM »

Ed,
First off glad to hear you had an early diagnosis and successful treatment. :2vrolijk_21: Thanks for bringing this important subject to our attention as males we sometimes don't take care of our bodies (getting yearly physicals/exams/etc) as we should. I too wear the "Livestrong" bracelet as I've had family members succumb to cancer. It is very important to have a network of friends and family to help you thru situations like this. I pray that you continue having a clean bill of health. Livestrong!!!

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Binx

• Hoist's BSR
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 07:44:42 PM »

Ed...Congrats on beating cancer!! I, too, pray for your continued good health. Keep up the good work and positive attitude...you're an amazing guy!
wut?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 08:47:28 PM »

Ed...Congrats on beating cancer!! I, too, pray for your continued good health. Keep up the good work and positive attitude...you're an amazing guy!

Can't say it better than Binx! You'd never know you had it, and it's great you beat it! You're a really great guy Ed! Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 09:07:09 PM »

I am so glad you beat that awful disease. I hate cancer. I lost my mom to cancer, she was eaten alive in less than three months.
My dad survived prostrate cancer, only to die 15 years later of hear failure (58 days after mom died).

Everyday is a gift, that is why it is called The Present.
Live well, live long, LIVESTRONG.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 06:14:29 AM »

Ed - how was it diagnosed?  I went for my MT last month to find I have a smooth enlrgedd prostrate but was told there was nothing to worry about.

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 06:43:05 PM »

Ed - how was it diagnosed?  I went for my MT last month to find I have a smooth enlrgedd prostrate but was told there was nothing to worry about.

Smiler,

I had a PSA blood test, which at the time I didn't know I was having. The nurse practitioner wrote it down on the lab sheet to test my blood sample for PSA along with the normal yearly stuff, cholesterol and the like. My prostate was never enlarged, was smooth and I had no other symptoms. She explained to me that she was testing all her patients. She actually got in trouble because my insurance didn't want to pay for the test, only 42 and they start testing at 50. Afterward they wrote her a letter of apology because she ended up being right.

There are a lot of other things that can cause an enlargement but the PSA test is nothing more then a blood test. Sometimes they'll test PSA multiple times to get a base line reading as everybody can run different numbers. Other times they'll run PSA and watch the basline over the course of years.

One other thought, after (3) positive PSA tests and a positive PSA2 test I had a biopsy which also came back positive. After that I went and got a second opinion. Always worth having somebody else take a look at all the paperwork.

Hope that helps,

Ed

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2007, 06:45:30 PM »

Ed,
First off glad to hear you had an early diagnosis and successful treatment. :2vrolijk_21: Thanks for bringing this important subject to our attention as males we sometimes don't take care of our bodies (getting yearly physicals/exams/etc) as we should. I too wear the "Livestrong" bracelet as I've had family members succumb to cancer. It is very important to have a network of friends and family to help you thru situations like this. I pray that you continue having a clean bill of health. Livestrong!!!

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Thanks Gary!

Donna and I were in Newport RI last summer and a women walking in front of us had a shirt on with the words and symbols, "F$%K Cancer!" how true is that!

Ed

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007, 06:46:37 PM »

Thanks Binx and Howie! Life is good and getting better all the time.

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 06:49:31 PM »

I am so glad you beat that awful disease. I hate cancer. I lost my mom to cancer, she was eaten alive in less than three months.
My dad survived prostrate cancer, only to die 15 years later of hear failure (58 days after mom died).

Everyday is a gift, that is why it is called The Present.
Live well, live long, LIVESTRONG.

Mark

Thanks Mark,
So sorry to hear about your Mom and Dad. There has been a lot of it in my family too and everywhere. Hopefully someday they'll find a cure.

Everyday is a gift to be sure!

Thanks,
Ed

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2007, 06:52:18 PM »

Smiler, Ed and I have been chatting about this a bit in PMs.  We were both caught early (chronologically and pathologically).  I was 40. 

That PSA test can be literally a lifesaver.  In my case I'd noticed I wasn't sleeping through the night without having to get up and wizz.  That hadn't been an issue before.  Went to the doc, he pulled on the rubber glove and said "hmmmm."  Tests to confirm and, sure enough, positive at 40.

Gents, Ed is absolutely right.  Medical standard of care is 50-ish.  But sometimes it happens sooner.  If your insurance won't cover a test's cost in the lab or your doc thinks it's too early to worry about it don't hesitate to do something yourself.  You can do it cheaply and completely discretely.  There are home PSA tests now.  Buy them at the pharmacy, get a couple drops of blood out of your finger and mail the whole thing off somewhere.  A couple weeks later you've got a number.

If it's low.  Great.  You weren't worrying anyway.  You were just being careful.  If it's not low then visit your doc and ask him/her to check a little more.

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2007, 06:55:37 PM »

Smiler, Ed and I have been chatting about this a bit in PMs.  We were both caught early (chronologically and pathologically).  I was 40. 

That PSA test can be literally a lifesaver.  In my case I'd noticed I wasn't sleeping through the night without having to get up and wizz.  That hadn't been an issue before.  Went to the doc, he pulled on the rubber glove and said "hmmmm."  Tests to confirm and, sure enough, positive at 40.

Gents, Ed is absolutely right.  Medical standard of care is 50-ish.  But sometimes it happens sooner.  If your insurance won't cover a test's cost in the lab or your doc thinks it's too early to worry about it don't hesitate to do something yourself.  You can do it cheaply and completely discretely.  There are home PSA tests now.  Buy them at the pharmacy, get a couple drops of blood out of your finger and mail the whole thing off somewhere.  A couple weeks later you've got a number.

If it's low.  Great.  You weren't worrying anyway.  You were just being careful.  If it's not low then visit your doc and ask him/her to check a little more.

Hey Don,

Thanks for jumping in!

Ed :2vrolijk_21:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2007, 07:00:38 PM »

Hey Don,

Thanks for jumping in!

Ed :2vrolijk_21:

Seems like my sneakers are always wet from finding a puddle somewhere....

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2007, 07:04:17 PM »

Seems like my sneakers are always wet from finding a puddle somewhere....

As long as it's only water you're stepping in... ;)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2007, 07:05:58 PM »

As long as it's only water you're stepping in... ;)
LOL!!! We were thinking the same thing. ;)

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 21 queries.