Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Author Topic: Prostate Cancer  (Read 7275 times)

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
  • Member#2263 DSPP#136,543,099
    • CVO2: 05' VRSCSE - sold
Re: Prostate Cancer.
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2008, 01:17:47 PM »

As important as the "cringe exam" is a PSA blood test.  I passed the "cringe test" with flying colors, but failed the PSA test, which led to a biopsy and so on.... ;)

Same for me...
"Looks like we got a date with Destiny and she's ordering the lobstah..."

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2008, 03:01:19 PM »

Same for me...
Perhaps you could expand on the PSA test for some. I believe it's important to get one early on to have a baseline to guage future tests on. Am I correct on this?

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2008, 03:10:30 PM »

Perhaps you could expand on the PSA test for some. I believe it's important to get one early on to have a baseline to guage future tests on. Am I correct on this?

Yes, that is correct.  Also, there can be reasons other then prostate cancer that cause abnormal PSA readings.  It is just one of several indicators.  When I initially received an abnormal PSA result, my doctor sent me to a urologist, who told me a biopsy was the next step, but not to worry because at my age, the PSA result was likely caused by other factors - such as calcium buildup.  My family doctor had told me the same thing.  He said truck drivers frequently have high PSA numbers that are not cancer related because of the amount of sitting they do.  For those who have high PSA readings, but don't have cancer, it is important to have a base line - in case later in life they develop prostate cancer.

Your raise a good point!
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2008, 03:59:54 PM »

Yes, that is correct.  Also, there can be reasons other then prostate cancer that cause abnormal PSA readings.  It is just one of several indicators.  When I initially received an abnormal PSA result, my doctor sent me to a urologist, who told me a biopsy was the next step, but not to worry because at my age, the PSA result was likely caused by other factors - such as calcium buildup.  My family doctor had told me the same thing.  He said truck drivers frequently have high PSA numbers that are not cancer related because of the amount of sitting they do.  For those who have high PSA readings, but don't have cancer, it is important to have a base line - in case later in life they develop prostate cancer.

Your raise a good point!

Excellent point and the blood test is by far the easiest part, well worth having a baseline established. Because of my age at the time. The insurance didn't want to pay for the test, guys are not normally tested till 50. I'm glad the nurse partitioner went ahead and checked off the right box on the lab sheet. Saved my life.

Ed

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2008, 04:32:35 PM »

Its important to be on the alert for all cancers. A lot of them have no symtoms until its spread and then your in deep guano. I was having my prostate and psa checked yearly only to find out that i had stage 4 thyroid cancer that had spread to most of the lymph nodes in the chest and neck. I had never had it checked. 13 hours of surgery and treatment with I-131 radioactive iodine and im in pretty good condition for the condition im in. Now we do lots of tests every few months and stay aware of that or any other possible recurense. I think most of these types of ca are inherited so if mom and dad have something be on the lookout- :bananarock:
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 04:39:04 PM by VANAMAL »

Hotrodstitcher

• Senior CVO Member
    • Sid Chavers Company
« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2008, 04:39:34 PM »

I'm going to turn 55 this month and five years ago I went for all the tests they want you to have at 50. I'm sure glad I did, it turn out I had a high PSA number for my age. I was sent to a Urologist and had a biopsy and they found cancer. I had the surgery and have no problems. This September I will have my semi annual six month  PSA test and that will be five years for me. For those of you that don't no at five years they consider you "cured". Of course no one knows for sure but it works for me. Like a lot have mention before, it's just a blood test. Go do it, I even tell my much younger friends to have it checked, it's to easy and it may save your life. There is also another good event in So-Cal called cruising for a cure, it's a Hot Rod event.  http://www.cruisinforacure.com/  I'm here for anyone also...Sid

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2008, 04:54:16 PM »

I'm going to turn 55 this month and five years ago I went for all the tests they want you to have at 50. I'm sure glad I did, it turn out I had a high PSA number for my age. I was sent to a Urologist and had a biopsy and they found cancer. I had the surgery and have no problems. This September I will have my semi annual six month  PSA test and that will be five years for me. For those of you that don't no at five years they consider you "cured". Of course no one knows for sure but it works for me. Like a lot have mention before, it's just a blood test. Go do it, I even tell my much younger friends to have it checked, it's to easy and it may save your life. There is also another good event in So-Cal called cruising for a cure, it's a Hot Rod event.  http://www.cruisinforacure.com/  I'm here for anyone also...Sid

That's awesome!!! 5 Years is the big number! Congrats!

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2008, 05:08:11 PM »

You guys ROCK!  No one likes the Digital Rectal Exam (DRE).  It's more analog than digital (reference to finger or "digit") but it should be used in conjunction with the PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen) test (Invented by Roswell Park Cancer Institute in Buffalo, NY!).  Admit it guys, no one likes growing older but accepting responsibility for your health is the best thing you can ever do for your families.  We've all been to funerals of friends and family members and thought, "what a shame, he was so young, his poor kids...."

I guarantee both Ed and Scott were asymptomatic.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2008, 05:27:04 PM »

Well I for one am happy that you 2 have staved off the big C. I at my last physical a few months back was asked by my doctor if I had a problem with the prostate exam. He said it is not a normal practice at my age(38) but better safe than sorry. So I went ahead with it, it was brief but alls good. I guess knowing is better than not so do what you can to help yourself and ultimately your family from the grief of cancer. Later,Q
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2008, 05:35:27 PM »

You guys ROCK!  No one likes the Digital Rectal Exam (DRE).  It's more analog than digital (reference to finger or "digit") but it should be used in conjunction with the PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen) test (Invented by Roswell Park Cancer Institute in Buffalo, NY!).  Admit it guys, no one likes growing older but accepting responsibility for your health is the best thing you can ever do for your families.  We've all been to funerals of friends and family members and thought, "what a shame, he was so young, his poor kids...."

absolutely correct, in my case...
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2008, 07:57:12 PM »

Same for me too, I'm glad Donna pushed me to go.

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
Prostate Cancer.
« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2009, 07:29:51 PM »

This is a re-post of a thread from 2 years ago. On my way in to work this morning there was an article on the radio about prostate cancer. Being now 3 years out I thought I'd post my offer again as there are a lot of new members.

Ed

I know it's been said many times how great this site is, for me, it's helped me meet great people from all over the world and some as close as two towns away. With that I want to give back something to our CVO family and beyond.

Two years ago I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. At 42 I was considered pretty young to have it. I was told that had it not been found I would not have made it to see my 50th birthday.

Long story short, I had surgery and only have to keep up the now annual blood testing. The price I paid to get rid of cancer was a VERY small one. Some of you that have met me in person have asked about the yellow bracelet that I wear. It's to support cancer research, the Lance Armstrong foundation, and reminds me every day that I have been given another chance to try and get things right.

The reason I'm posting this is to let anybody that has concerns about prostate cancer or is going through it, gone through it or wants somebody to talk to about it. To PM or email me at any time. If there is somebody that you know that is a none member, doesn't matter, just help them get in touch with me.

This offer is also extended to the wives and girlfriends too, Donna helped me through my ordeal and learned a lot and will talk about how it has effected her too.

I just want to let people know that they are not alone going through this.

Thanks and Take Care,
Ed and Donna

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2009, 07:33:31 PM »

Ed, you're a good guy for bringing this up again. Nice to know you're there if we ever need you. Roger

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2009, 07:10:22 PM »

Thanks Ed. You are a true gentleman and friend.  :2vrolijk_21: How about a  drink in Naples next time your down.

Dave

09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2009, 07:38:56 PM »

Being a graduate of Prostate Cancer survivor school myself, at age 48, I thank you - Special Ed - for posting this reminder to all!!   :2vrolijk_21:
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 21 queries.