Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Looking for Local Experts  (Read 2820 times)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Looking for Local Experts
« on: June 12, 2007, 02:18:19 PM »

Hello everyone. Pinkie and I are starting to put together a trip for next year. We've talked for several years about hitting Nova Scotia and the eastern seaboard. We're looking at 15 days and about 4,000 miles.

Here are the hard points:

Atlanta - Gettysburg - Adirondacks - Bay of Fundy - Nova Scotia - Acadia National Park - Cape Cod - Play on Broadway - NC Outer Banks - Atlanta

I'm hoping to pick your collective brains as we plan this trip. We'll be looking for some Must Do's and some neverminds. I know we can't spend enough time in each state / area to do them all justice, but hopefully we'll be able to get a good taste.

Ferries. This trip will include a number of them, Essex, Bar Harbor, New London, Hatteras just to name a few and they are one of the things that can throw a wrench into the planning, if we get stuck and miss the boat. Any tips on particular ferries would be really appreciated.

I'm hoping to get some regional experts to help us plan a great trip.

Challenge #1: Gettysburg, PA to Lake Placid, NY. Time Alottment: 1 1/2 or 2 days

Thanks for your help.

SPIDERMAN

Re: Looking for Local Experts
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 03:40:30 PM »

If you're planning on taking the Ferry from Bah Habah to Nova Scotia, you want to ride the lenth of US 1 from Kittrey to theyah, makin sure you stop at Hampton Beach, Wells, K-port, Camden, Boothbay Habah and Rockland along the way. Ayuh, you get your fill of lubstah's, clams, scallops and haddock while enjoyin some prime downeast scenery. You go that way , ya heah ?

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 04:05:32 PM »

If you're planning on taking the Ferry from Bah Habah to Nova Scotia, you want to ride the lenth of US 1 from Kittrey to theyah, makin sure you stop at Hampton Beach, Wells, K-port, Camden, Boothbay Habah and Rockland along the way. Ayuh, you get your fill of lubstah's, clams, scallops and haddock while enjoyin some prime downeast scenery. You go that way , ya heah ?
Ya, but in the othuh durection, Sud. Sounds like US 1 from Bah Habah to Kittrey is the ticket.

Thanks.

I read Otophile's thread and I'll be keeping my eye on that one for more of your great info.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 02:46:11 PM »

Challenge #1: Gettysburg, PA to Lake Placid, NY. Time Allotment: 1 1/2 or 2 days

Wouldn't mind tagging along for some of your travels ..... keep us informed of your itinerary.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 05:00:19 PM »

Wouldn't mind tagging along for some of your travels ..... keep us informed of your itinerary.

PH,

Sounds good. As we get closer, like in 8 or 9 mothhs, I'll start putting out some itinerary info.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 07:28:40 PM »

Sounds like a plan  :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 07:32:17 PM by porthole »
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

hogasm

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 06:46:00 AM »

Hello everyone. Pinkie and I are starting to put together a trip for next year. We've talked for several years about hitting Nova Scotia and the eastern seaboard. We're looking at 15 days and about 4,000 miles.

Here are the hard points:

Atlanta - Gettysburg - Adirondacks - Bay of Fundy - Nova Scotia - Acadia National Park - Cape Cod - Play on Broadway - NC Outer Banks - Atlanta

I'm hoping to pick your collective brains as we plan this trip. We'll be looking for some Must Do's and some neverminds. I know we can't spend enough time in each state / area to do them all justice, but hopefully we'll be able to get a good taste.

Ferries. This trip will include a number of them, Essex, Bar Harbor, New London, Hatteras just to name a few and they are one of the things that can throw a wrench into the planning, if we get stuck and miss the boat. Any tips on particular ferries would be really appreciated.

I'm hoping to get some regional experts to help us plan a great trip.

Challenge #1: Gettysburg, PA to Lake Placid, NY. Time Alottment: 1 1/2 or 2 days

Thanks for your help.

Chief, my Uncle just did that  trip from Charleston, SC, except for the Outer Banks part. He did that when we had the state HOG rally here a few months ago. Kathy and I are planning one for next year also. From what my Uncle said of his trip it is worth it.
I will get intouch with him and get his travel plans.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 08:43:20 AM »

Chief, my Uncle just did that  trip from Charleston, SC, except for the Outer Banks part. He did that when we had the state HOG rally here a few months ago. Kathy and I are planning one for next year also. From what my Uncle said of his trip it is worth it.
I will get intouch with him and get his travel plans.

Hogasm,

That would be great. Knowing what is a 'must-do' and what are 'neverminds' is really helpful.

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
  • Member#2263 DSPP#136,543,099
    • CVO2: 05' VRSCSE - sold
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 01:21:38 PM »

Chief,
If you're looking for a nice place to stay in Bar Harbor check out the Black friar Inn. Donna and I stayed there last fall and it is really nice. Walking distance to Bar Harbor.

http://www.blackfriarinn.com/

We're in central MA, I'll keep an eye on the thread, it would be great to meet you as you're passing through if you have time.

Ed :pepper:
"Looks like we got a date with Destiny and she's ordering the lobstah..."

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2007, 01:37:50 PM »

Chief,
If you're looking for a nice place to stay in Bar Harbor check out the Black friar Inn. Donna and I stayed there last fall and it is really nice. Walking distance to Bar Harbor.

http://www.blackfriarinn.com/

We're in central MA, I'll keep an eye on the thread, it would be great to meet you as you're passing through if you have time.

Ed :pepper:

That's one to mark on the Favorites list. Since we'd be coming in on the 4:00 ferry out of Nova Scotia, we'd stay two nights so we could check out Acadia and Bah Habah during the day.

Thanks Ed.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2007, 05:41:19 PM »

The Markland Coastal Resort in Dingwall, NS is a beautiful place.  The term "resort" is used loosely, as there is nothing in Dingwall but a small village store and a few other things...tiny place.  It's on the Cabot Trail...you cannot miss doing Cape Breton, and the Markland is on the route...a good day's ride from Halifax, if not a bit more.  It's an all inclusive place, and some of the best food I've ever had.  We stayed in a small cabin overlooking the shore, used their canoe to paddle the inlet...spectacular!!  Here's a pic from the beach there...

Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

flyingwillie

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 05 Cherry SEEG__Sold
    • CVO2: 06 Autumn Haze SEUC__Sold
    • CVO3: 09 Silver/Blue SEUC 4
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2007, 06:18:32 PM »

Chuck, I have a book somewhere titled "motorcycling through Nova Scotia" or something similar.  I got on line and ordered it from the Nove Scotia web site.  If you are interested I will see if I can find it.
I did a week there a couple of years ago.  Beautiful scenery but the roads suck.  Two seasons up there.....winter and road construction.
Take you tools so you can refasten the hardware on your bike.
 :cherry:

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
  • Member#2263 DSPP#136,543,099
    • CVO2: 05' VRSCSE - sold
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2007, 06:50:35 PM »

The Markland Coastal Resort in Dingwall, NS is a beautiful place.  The term "resort" is used loosely, as there is nothing in Dingwall but a small village store and a few other things...tiny place.  It's on the Cabot Trail...you cannot miss doing Cape Breton, and the Markland is on the route...a good day's ride from Halifax, if not a bit more.  It's an all inclusive place, and some of the best food I've ever had.  We stayed in a small cabin overlooking the shore, used their canoe to paddle the inlet...spectacular!!  Here's a pic from the beach there...

Nice shot Terry! :2vrolijk_21:
"Looks like we got a date with Destiny and she's ordering the lobstah..."

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2007, 07:03:03 PM »

Pretty pic. We did CBI many years ago and would love to do it again if time permits. Right now I don't know if its in the cards due to lack of time.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2007, 07:21:16 PM »

Chuck, I have a book somewhere titled "motorcycling through Nova Scotia" or something similar.  I got on line and ordered it from the Nove Scotia web site.  If you are interested I will see if I can find it.
I did a week there a couple of years ago.  Beautiful scenery but the roads suck.  Two seasons up there.....winter and road construction.
Take you tools so you can refasten the hardware on your bike.
 :cherry:

That would be great. I've got some info coming in the post, but it isn't here yet.

I remember the roads and how bad they were. The road we took from Quebec across New Brunswick into Nova Scotia was so bad, it busted the stove/oven out of the trailer. There was one of the guys working in the campground that was really nice and went home and got my dad all the tools he would need to reattach the stove back into the trailer. After coming out of Quebec City, that was a very welcome difference in attitude towards us english speaking folk from the states.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 26 queries.