Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: FXR2 FXR3 FXR4 2007 Modifications Made To Your CVO  (Read 5588 times)

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
Re: FXR2 FXR3 FXR4 2007 Modifications Made To Your CVO
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2007, 02:19:35 AM »

That's what I'm talking about.  Interstates, to me, have a purpose, but a relaxing ride on a motorcycle isn't one of them.  You want to see an Interstate that will make you say "never again"?  Come down here to I-95.

Hey they shoot people on that highway, and you are right from what my son tells me we are talking apples and oranges here....but I have to say it again I 70 can be a "relaxing and enjoyable ride" depending upon day and time...could you say that about any highway....in context of I 95 I would assume your answer and my answer would be agreeable, that it would be no but for other reasons besides just traffic.....here in Colorado we will only train your kids that to have sex as a teenager is a good thing in our Boulder community schools....or our CU professors will teach the most unsual and amazing things that can confuse even the most arguent minds....but I must say we have not picked up the guns here in the wild wild west to shoot one another on our highways.....<g>

Have you ever ridden highway 550 from Montrose to Durango?  I have done this on a bicycle....
Or how about highway 160 from Durango east through Pagosa Springs over to US 285 back to Denver? Superb scenery on both of those routes.  I think 160 also goes west from Durango to Mesa Verde NP--another nice destination.

This is where I am going with my bike very soon for some of the most beautiful riding our state has....and in my opinion the prettiest area of our state as well.

I have ridden of course....many different roads here in Colorado but to stay on the same "page" of your discussion......a very pretty ride is to go from once again....the willcot area where you get on I 70 just west of Vail and go to Glenwood Springs then take a route heading south into Carbindale to Aspen and then over Independence Pass over to leadville....which has the highest airport in the US which then can dump you back on to I 70 around Copper Mountain and then from there you decide where to go......Independence Pass is a beautiful ride as well.....

The road from Durango south to New Mexico which can take you to Farmington NM about 40 minutes south of Durango...where my son met his wife...while attending San Juan Community College yes you are right this is another ride (I need a map again--goes through Ignacio and then by Navajo Lake over to US 550 again is a scenic ride.  I've taken many trips to SW Colorado.  Can't get enough of the place.  I've only begun to explore the northern part of the state (from Steamboat Springs).  You are fortunate to live there.

You are absolutely right.....the riding that is available to us is second to none.....everything a harley was made for exists right here in this state......and you are also very very correct about the section of Colorado that in my opinion is INDEED the most beautiful.....which is that south west quandrant.... 

continuing.....

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2007, 02:20:23 AM »

Another topic:  I've seen the Custom Cycle Engineering fork braces--they appear to be quite well made.  I may look into it.

My buddy who ownes an FXR3 and I were talking about all of this just on Friday afternoon.....discussing the aspects of the FXR ride....people that own these bikes that find themselves going in straight lines for the most part have no idea what these bikes are capable of.....while we here in CO have the opportunity to ride in elevations from 5,000 feet to 12,000 feet only 50 miles from our homes....which include roads "twisties" / "curves" up canyons......when you can find yourself either going up a canyon road at 40 to 70 miles an hour safely in curves or going down the canyons at the same speeds....you find out what these bikes can do.....how well designed they really are for a catagory of a "sport touring" bike....which in my opinion allows you to see your enviornment unlike a "crotch rocket"......which is not what these bikes were designed to do...they were designed for "sport touring" to be able to "transverse" the country side on a lighter bike as compared to the FLH frames that existed at the time and still exist today.  It's here in the enviornment that you find the element of a "fork brace" providing you just one more aspect of a ride that is pretty outstanding.....I have ridden my son-in-laws yamaha R-1, his Honda RC-51, his Honda Interceptor....so I am not "blind" to what a true "sports" bike will do....but when we take off on Wednesday and put 500 miles or so in one day into the southern part of the state.....it will be me that has the most comfortable day not him....I know this already....sure he will if he chose, get to our destination upwards of 20 minutes faster than me....but he would need to...to jump in a hot tub to cure his aching body from the erognomics of his ride.....plus we aren't even considering the enjoyment of the enviornment.....my point is.....the fork brace is very nice addition to a very nice frame....and will "tweek" your front end in a very nice "subtle" way....and while you may not experience it totally in Florida....you will in other places....although I would believe in any cornering situation or sweeping curve you find yourself in for the most part you will feel the benefit of the $200.00 decision if you purchase it from someone who can provide you with a 20% discount...... and combined with a 19" wheel and tire...oh my....a whole different ride....for the first couple of days you will notice it all very much and then by the third day it will simply become what feels right....and it would take you going back to the 21" without a fork brace as well to notice once again what you left behind....it will feel more solid and it will be more comfortable because of more surface sidewall area absorbing the road and deflecting the road from your handlebars which is the best way to describe it....and when you are setting on your bike and moving it will simply feel more "substantial"...I believe you would feel like why haven't I done this before....and if you study a Road King which has 18" wheels vs 16" wheels you will notice a huge "presentation" difference in the way the bike looks...no doubt about it....but going from a 21" to a 19" it's not such a "huge" visual modification.....other than it will balance out presentation of the bike....is it worth $750.00 like I mentioned earlier....answer...it's "priceless".....You simly have a larger foot print when cornering and when going in a straight line...which does several things...one of which absorbs highway "shock" and provides small amounts of greater tire surface to grip the road when turning....I asked the tire manufacturers what I would experience over a 19" as compared with a 21" and what I have experienced is indeed what they said I would.....now is it a "selffulfilling prophecy...good question...answer I don't think so....just like switching for me from the spoke wheels to the mags on my RKC had definite postive impacts for me...the question to propose on this issue of the RKC however would be are the mags that much better because of less flex or are the mags that much better because I did a crappy job of making sure my spokes were all tight and tuned....of which I couldn't honestly state at this time because when they went off I didn't have them checked...but going back to the FXR2 I believe I can feel a difference in handling and performance....there are other things I have done to both of my bikes which are sometimes harder to place a "judgement or awarness" on as to whether they were positive or beneficial....this however is not one of those cases....

Regards,

FXR2evo99

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2007, 08:49:30 AM »

Yo FXR, are you doing your Thesis here? ;D Interesting reading here. Great to see the activity on this board. The CCE stuff are very well machined and quality products. But the CCE fork Brace, at least in the past, requires you take the forks apart for installation. Check to see if that's still the case. The SE Fork Braces are multi-piece units that don't require fork disassembly. But a Fork Brace is a worthwhile add-on, especially with the 39mm front ends. Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2007, 11:33:25 AM »

Yo FXR, are you doing your Thesis here?
lol....I know...for sure I am like a "runaway" train.....blah blah blah....but hopefully between the lines something worth reading comes forth....laughing..... :orange:

The CCE stuff are very well machined and quality products. But the CCE fork Brace, at least in the past, requires you take the forks apart for installation. Check to see if that's still the case. The SE Fork Braces are multi-piece units that don't require fork disassembly. But a Fork Brace is a worthwhile add-on, especially with the 39mm front ends.

Hoist......I agree with your thought process that such "discussions" about the forks being disassembled being a part of assembly conversations, however with the CCE product that I have used has not required such to be done....the key to installation is making sure you follow of course their recommended procedures but when we took off the CCE fork brace from my 2003 FXDL to give to my buddy it was as simple as backing out the screws that attachs one part of  the brace to other part around the forks.....and as for installation the person who put that very brace back on to his FXR3 called and spoke to the tech department and was given instructions of how to do it....but they did not require the removal of the forks to put it together....not even the removal of the tire actually....however it's always best if one is deciding to do this themselves to have a conversation with the tech department and follow their instructions....I also know that when my local independent dealer/mechanic put my CCE brace on my FXR2 that he did not remove my forks either.....but he did install them while my front tire was being replaced so obviously there was a bit more flex available to him since the tire was not bolted on to the forks....the instructions that are provided are also very helpful in putting it together...and quite frankly the tech department does speak about making sure of some aspects of the installation and I remember them making it sound fairly complicated but I am thinking it's not that complicated anymore....and if a independent dealer were to install them I don't think the cost would be over $25.00 which says it only takes 1/2 hour or less....so no forks are coming apart for that.....at least that's been my experience.....

Regards,

FXR2evo99

neanderpaul

• Full CVO Member
  • Green Bikes = Bad Luck? Give 'Em All To Me!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FXR3
    • Neanderpaul Dot Com
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2007, 12:30:02 AM »

Well Well Well...

Great to see this section of the board alive.

To answer the original:

Mods: (If you can call them that)
SE Ignition Module
SE Coil
Replaced stock breather with S&S horseshoe. Manufactured bracket to allow for stock cover to be used. Running wide open in the back with K&N sucking air.
Replaced both rocker box gaskets with one-piece sheet metal gaskets. The stock paper stuff is garbage.
V&H Straight Shots Slash Cut.
Bullet directionals w/amber bulbs under clear lenses.
Larger deeper Headlight.
Changed "stock" billet oval mirrors to HD round billets.
Covered oil pressure sensor.
Replaced stock zinc steering neck bolts with chrome set.
Replaced fuel petcock with chrome.
Matched hand and footpeg patterns.
Replaced rear sissy bar back plate with bar & shield chrome billet plate.
Replaced starter.

Engine still bone stock inside. No reason to crack the cases. The EVO runs fine as it is. I've no need to prove how "fast" my ride is. I'm old enough to enjoy the ride.

With regard to wheel changes...If I wanted to completely overhaul the FXR3, I'd have just bought a Low Rider and built it up. I'm happy with my ride. No need to change the rims, wheel size etc.

I love my FXR3. It is what it is. The rarest of all CVOs. Made when "Limited Edition" really meant something. Its uniqueness is its charm. I don't want it to look like anything other than what it is.

When I want to ride different...the PORK is right next to it.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 11:56:39 AM by neanderpaul »
'99 FXR3
'05 15th Ann. LE Fat Boy
'19 RAM Rebel

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2007, 02:53:33 PM »

neanderpaul

hey...long have you owned your FXR3????
How many miles are on it now?????

Regards,

FXR2evo99

neanderpaul

• Full CVO Member
  • Green Bikes = Bad Luck? Give 'Em All To Me!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FXR3
    • Neanderpaul Dot Com
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2007, 01:02:53 AM »

neanderpaul

hey...long have you owned your FXR3????
How many miles are on it now?????

Regards,

FXR2evo99

Since 3/17/05...And as I have two rides, I still have the miles low at around 15k. I tour with another bike as putting 400 miles a day on an FXR is pretty punishing to the lower back.
'99 FXR3
'05 15th Ann. LE Fat Boy
'19 RAM Rebel

redtwin

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: FXR-4
    • CVO2: FXSTSSE
    • CVO3: 2010 ROADDGLIDE
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2007, 05:33:25 AM »

had a FXR-4 best bike i ever had,wish i never sold the bike
list of options-heads ported
hi 4 ign,crane 600 in. cam
45 mil carb
10.5 je pistons
hooker header 2-1 slash cut
150 back tire
100 hp
97 ft lb tq
also gearing changes
wish i had it back

Minglewood

• Junior CVO Member
  • '00 FXR4 (gone); '11 FLTRUSE
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2007, 12:26:00 PM »

Jumping in a little late - asking me to list the mods on my tangerine FXR4 starts me down memory lane - it's been a great bike for me - I've owned it for around seven years, and although it's no longer my primary ride, and hasn't seen a lot of miles in the last couple of years, it's seen a lot of action recently as it's now my son's primary bike (Dad's on the roadglide).  Of course, son's too busy to take it to the shop (doing some overdue maintenance), so that job has fallen on Dad.  Hey - anytime I ride it's a joy.

Comfort and Utility.  Off came the drag bars.  Replaced with mini apes (wouldn't even call them apes). To go with the higher bars went a taller sissy bar.  Together these two changes give the bike an older looking FXR style (there goes resale).  I've also got a rack behind the sissy bar, on which I set my bag that goes over the sissy.  That bag holds tons of stuff, and is great for touring with the bike.  I've done plenty of long days through Washington, Idaho and Montana.  Also had a custom seat made for it.  Added forward controls and custom floorboards.  Added a windvest.

Performance.  Here's where I'm likely to forget stuff, as my mechanic takes more responsibility for this than I do.  Miikuni carb, high air flow, cam, ignition and Bub stubbie pipes, with baffles.  Been running Avon Venom tires.  These tires complement nicely the amazing handling of the bike.

Other eye candy.  Chrome front brake caliber; braided lines, can't remember what else at the moment.

Other items of note.  Got about 15k miles.  It doesn't mind getting dirty, and it sure cleans up nice.

I've been a member of this board for years, but haven't posted in a while.  And I know, shoot and post pix.  Will do.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2008, 09:09:46 PM »

HeHe! Bump!!! :o

I like this thread. I'll be busy here soon, so I figured I'd move it up some so I don't forget it. Been a year since we've been here. With all the recent FXR activity these days, there's gotta be more mods ya'll have done. :2vrolijk_21:

I'm in the middle of my first batch of mods on mine, and I haven't even seen the bike the way I bought it! :nixweiss: ;)

Jim's gonna take plenty of before pics for us, before he begins to transform Joy into a BLUE 3, setup my way! ;)

And they're posted here: http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=25972.msg420822#msg420822

Stay tuned, more to follow! Let's hear from some more of youze guys here too!!! :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

Hoist! 8)

« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 09:18:52 PM by Hoist! »

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Minglewood

• Junior CVO Member
  • '00 FXR4 (gone); '11 FLTRUSE
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2008, 02:54:55 PM »

A pic of mine, as promised (a year ago).

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2008, 10:01:26 AM »

Wow.  This is great.  I don't think I've sever seen so much action on the FXR page of this board.

Where to start, let's see.  First, if you manage to ride to Orlando then the Keys, by all means give me some warning and we'll definitely meet up.  Maybe Killjoy over in Tampa can make it over as well.  The first ever CVO FXR get-together.  But I don't really care what you're on when you pass through.  Two wheels, four, whatever.

And Hoist--this may surprise you, but I'd love to see your two "older" rides.  See, I've seen CVO Road Kings before, but I bet I've never seen anything like your WG or pro-street.  Thanks for you support for us FXR guys.

Back to FXR2evo99: you mention wheels.  I'm wrestling with the idea of upgrading my front wheel at tire replacement time.  I love the looks of spokes but also like the idea of a solid wheel for durability/tire repair reasons.  I'm not crazy about the Thunderstar found on FXR3's but I've seen some alloy wheels I liked.  The other side is that I could get a chrome or stainless-spoked wheel and do a swap out, but my anal part wants to keep the CVO billet hub and chrome rim and have them re-laced with polished stainless spokes.  Do you know if anybody makes a spoked wheel that is internally sealed--that is takes a tubeless tire?  That would be the best of both worlds.

About Denver--I've been there many times and don't think I'd want to ride a bike there--certainly not on I-70 from the airport to the Eisenhower tunnel.  The rest of the state, though, is a riders dream.  Been there on pleasure trips many times.  We take the family to Steamboat Springs pretty much every winter.

Oh, and about fork braces.  Seems you think they're a good idea?  Might have to try one.  Do you use a HD or aftermarket?

Hey Mike, what's wrong with Joy's wheels? :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 20 queries.