Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Security for saddle  (Read 4882 times)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Security for saddle
« on: June 20, 2007, 10:15:04 AM »

Thinking about taking the plunge on a Corbin heated saddle for my jester and just wondering about security for it.  Anyone with a #2 phillips can take it off in a couple minutes.  I do a lot of rides to events where there are hundreds if not thousands of bikers and can't help but think that these high-end saddles would be a temptation to some.

Might explore a different type screw with some sort of security device like locking wheel lug nuts have.  Don't know if anything like that is available.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 11:27:56 AM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

REGGAB

Re: Security for saddle
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 10:39:03 AM »

Thinking about taking the plunge on a Corbin heated saddle for my jester and just wondering about security for it.  Anyone with a #2 phillips can take it off in a couple minutes.  I do a lot of rides to events where that are hundreds if not thousands of bikers and can't help but think that these high-end saddles would be a temptation to some.

Might explore a different type screw with some sort of security device like locking wheel lug nuts have.  Don't know if anything like that is available.

Just a thought here, Jerry.  You are correct.  Anyone can remove the seat with a #2 crosstip, but I'm thinking if you set your security system to the most sensitive setting, if that thing starts chirping, it is going to draw plenty of attention to the scum trying to steal your saddle.  In most circles, that normally results in an immediate a$$ whooping for the would be thief.  Again, this is simply my take on the subject.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 10:41:00 AM »

Thinking about taking the plunge on a Corbin heated saddle for my jester and just wondering about security for it.  Anyone with a #2 phillips can take it off in a couple minutes.  I do a lot of rides to events where that are hundreds if not thousands of bikers and can't help but think that these high-end saddles would be a temptation to some.

Jerry, how about those tamperproof screws they use on public restroom partitions? That requires the special screwdriver. Most people won't have one at a Rally. Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 10:52:53 AM »

For the newer version of my seat the Classic Solo, under the Specs tab;  Corbin offers a KEY LOCK INSTALLATION: This saddle model uses a new mounting system designed by Corbin to allow installation and removable with a simple key lock. Once the included brackets are installed, the saddle can be removed easily by just inserting and turning the key.

Wonder why they don't offer this small amount of security to each of their seats?

http://www.corbin.com/harley/baggers/cvos.shtml

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 11:10:54 AM »

good point....
anyone know the dimensions for the seat screw off the top of your head?

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 12:12:21 PM »

For the newer version of my seat the Classic Solo, under the Specs tab;  Corbin offers a KEY LOCK INSTALLATION: This saddle model uses a new mounting system designed by Corbin to allow installation and removable with a simple key lock. Once the included brackets are installed, the saddle can be removed easily by just inserting and turning the key.

Wonder why they don't offer this small amount of security to each of their seats?

Mrs. We,
that is a good point, i just emailed them that very question, if have not heard in a day or two i will call and ask, john
Rinehart TD
103 with zipper 575 GD cams
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Traxxion dynamics front end
Stage 1 SE AC

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 12:15:40 PM »

I just phoned them - not available for dual touring seats since still have to bolt on at rear.  But it seems to be that some sort of lock could be developed to lock the saddle to the mount for the back rest. Looks like only option right now is a bolt with a torx head, allen head or better yet like hoist said some even more uncommon type of head.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 12:28:08 PM »

not the best solution ...

but are there attachment points on the saddle and bike to slip in a gun cable lock that stays under the seat and hidden until the seat is lifted a few inches?

I just phoned them - not available for dual touring seats since still have to bolt on at rear.  But it seems to be that some sort of lock could be developed to lock the saddle to the mount for the back rest. Looks like only option right now is a bolt with a torx head, allen head or better yet like hoist said some even more uncommon type of head.
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 12:39:52 PM »

I'm 90% sure the bolt is 1/4" standard threads, and about 3/4" long.

Even a button head allen would be better than the Phillips...at least someone couldn't get the thing off with a leatherman tool then.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 12:58:53 PM »

...Anyone can remove the seat with a #2 crosstip, but I'm thinking if you set your security system to the most sensitive setting, if that thing starts chirping, it is going to draw plenty of attention to the scum trying to steal your saddle. ...

Ok, time for me to chime in here.

1st, on a SEUC² there is no way to set the sensitivity for the alarm.

2nd, do you really think someone is going to go unnoticed if they are seen taking a saddle off a bike and walking away with it?

If you buy the Corbin backrest, it comes with a Allen screw that has to be removed before the seat can be.

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 01:04:15 PM »

Ultrafxr, I say go for it. Fiestabill sold me his and went out and bought another one for his bike. I guess he missed it.

AJ

Here's another shot:

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 01:05:55 PM »

2nd, do you really think someone is going to go unnoticed if they are seen taking a saddle off a bike and walking away with it?

If you buy the Corbin backrest, it comes with a Allen screw that has to be removed before the seat can be.

that might be true on yours.but not on mine...

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 01:22:24 PM »

AJ...better check again on having to remove the allen screw on the backrest before the seat can be removed, buddy.  Sure don't have to on mine...the backrest post bolts to a receiver internal to the Cobin seat pan, not to the bike...the whole thing will lift off easily, with just removing the rear fender screw.

TTS Mastertune

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 01:28:12 PM »

This is the identical problem for anything on the bike that comes off
tour paks, seats, backrests, helmets gloves, glasses....etc etc etc

y'all are making me paranoid!

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 01:46:46 PM »

This is the identical problem for anything on the bike that comes off
tour paks, seats, backrests, helmets gloves, glasses....etc etc etc

y'all are making me paranoid!

I'm a trusting soul, Scot...I just don't think about people ripping me off.  Guess I'm naive.  Not much I can do if somebody wants my helmet more than me, as there's no way to store two full face that I've found.  I do set the alarm and lock the forks if I feel uncomfortable with the parking spot, and worry a bit at night when in a Motel, but really, if the SOB wants your chit, he/she is going to get it.

TTS Mastertune
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 21 queries.