Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Advanced Degrees  (Read 2089 times)

REGGAB

Advanced Degrees
« on: June 20, 2007, 11:51:30 PM »

Got a question for those who have preceeded me in this effort, but first, a little background:  I've muddled through 2 500 level courses to prep me for the required coursework in my Master of Science in Management degree, which was not required for my undergraduate degree.  The program entails 36 semester hours (12 classes), 3 of which are accounted for as a graduate capstone project.  I'm in the middle of my third required class.  Next term I have to take another quantitative analysis course, and the term after that I'll take the last classroom course for my specialization areas (Integrated Logistics Support/Supply Chain Management).  Of the three required classes I've taken, I've had to do one group project and two research papers.  My assumption is 7 of the remaining 9 courses will require group projects and/or research papers as well.  One of the remaining courses will be a graduate capstone project prep course, and the last remaining course will be the actual graduate capstone project, which must be defended.  The first term of the new year will offer the graduate capstone project prep course AND a financial accounting course.  I'm probably going to take both of those courses during that term................so my question to those of you who have trodden the path I'm on, when you did your GCP, did you do so using work you did from prior projects and papers to sort of "sum it all up," or did you do something totally unrelated to anything you did during prior coursework?  My intent is to complete my GCP (oriented toward my specialization areas) prior to finishing the remainder of the required coursework.

Thanks for your input. 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Advanced Degrees
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 12:32:23 AM »

Got a question for those who have preceeded me in this effort, but first, a little background:  I've muddled through 2 500 level courses to prep me for the required coursework in my Master of Science in Management degree, which was not required for my undergraduate degree.  The program entails 36 semester hours (12 classes), 3 of which are accounted for as a graduate capstone project.  I'm in the middle of my third required class.  Next term I have to take another quantitative analysis course, and the term after that I'll take the last classroom course for my specialization areas (Integrated Logistics Support/Supply Chain Management).  Of the three required classes I've taken, I've had to do one group project and two research papers.  My assumption is 7 of the remaining 9 courses will require group projects and/or research papers as well.  One of the remaining courses will be a graduate capstone project prep course, and the last remaining course will be the actual graduate capstone project, which must be defended.  The first term of the new year will offer the graduate capstone project prep course AND a financial accounting course.  I'm probably going to take both of those courses during that term................so my question to those of you who have trodden the path I'm on, when you did your GCP, did you do so using work you did from prior projects and papers to sort of "sum it all up," or did you do something totally unrelated to anything you did during prior coursework?  My intent is to complete my GCP (oriented toward my specialization areas) prior to finishing the remainder of the required coursework.

Thanks for your input. 

My thesis (your GCP) was a separate project.  Only one academic credit granting course for it's preparation but about 10 month's of research and (this is what happens when you put chit off) almost three solid weeks of typing at the end to bring the research to paper.  It was defended and had to sit for orals too.  Had a choice of orals or comps and took the orals.  Finished product was 200 pages or so plus the bib.

Dissertation was a combination of both prior work and new work.  Several semester research pieces were chapters.  Accounted for maybe half the piece.  Rest was new work.  Two years time and change.  Half a semester typing it all up, tearing it apart, doing it again, and finally getting it in a shape I was willing to turn it in.  But it was a masochistally monster of a project.  At one point as much as 1400 pages.  Final "tight" product was nearly a thousand of which 90 pages were bib.  This time defense, orals and comps.

REGGAB

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 11:51:29 AM »

My thesis (your GCP) was a separate project.  Only one academic credit granting course for it's preparation but about 10 month's of research and (this is what happens when you put chit off) almost three solid weeks of typing at the end to bring the research to paper.  It was defended and had to sit for orals too.  Had a choice of orals or comps and took the orals.  Finished product was 200 pages or so plus the bib.

Dissertation was a combination of both prior work and new work.  Several semester research pieces were chapters.  Accounted for maybe half the piece.  Rest was new work.  Two years time and change.  Half a semester typing it all up, tearing it apart, doing it again, and finally getting it in a shape I was willing to turn it in.  But it was a masochistally monster of a project.  At one point as much as 1400 pages.  Final "tight" product was nearly a thousand of which 90 pages were bib.  This time defense, orals and comps.

Thanks Don.  Last night, my GCP chair, who also happens to be my professor this term, pulled me aside after class and was doing the "coach/teach/mentor" routine with regard to quickening my pace through this program.  If I double up during the winter term and finish my GCP next summer, I'll finish the program in December 2008, which is 6 months ahead of schedule.  He suggested I take the "combining" approach with my GCP instead of heading down a new path.  Doing it that way will be both effective and efficient toward the goal of actually finishing the program.  My concern is one of being properly prepared for the follow-on DBA or PhD-BA coursework and dissertation, since this degree is not terminal.  All 36 hours count toward the next level, so I will have a 45 hour classroom requirement plus dissertation.  Trying to plan ahead.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 12:20:23 PM »

Thanks Don.  Last night, my GCP chair, who also happens to be my professor this term, pulled me aside after class and was doing the "coach/teach/mentor" routine with regard to quickening my pace through this program.  If I double up during the winter term and finish my GCP next summer, I'll finish the program in December 2008, which is 6 months ahead of schedule.  He suggested I take the "combining" approach with my GCP instead of heading down a new path.  Doing it that way will be both effective and efficient toward the goal of actually finishing the program.  My concern is one of being properly prepared for the follow-on DBA or PhD-BA coursework and dissertation, since this degree is not terminal.  All 36 hours count toward the next level, so I will have a 45 hour classroom requirement plus dissertation.  Trying to plan ahead.

That seems to leave the only question at this point being the works to date.  Have they been product generally in theme enough with each other that they can become one piece?  You're a bit far in to the process now to turn a scout helo in to an attack craft if it wasn't designed with some of that function in mind to begin with.

Since the advisor is making the suggestion it's likely the prior work product is flexible enough to be so managed.  So long as the Committee doesn't care that the work is getting used both way it's not a bad plan Henry.  Work smart and not more whenever they'll let you buddy.

REGGAB

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 01:20:02 PM »

That seems to leave the only question at this point being the works to date.  Have they been product generally in theme enough with each other that they can become one piece?  You're a bit far in to the process now to turn a scout helo in to an attack craft if it wasn't designed with some of that function in mind to begin with.

Since the advisor is making the suggestion it's likely the prior work product is flexible enough to be so managed.  So long as the Committee doesn't care that the work is getting used both way it's not a bad plan Henry.  Work smart and not more whenever they'll let you buddy.

I think I'm tracking, as does he.  The principles of customer service and warranty provisions coupled with a little quantitative analysis leading to scientifically sound decisions regarding aggregation through through the supply chain has been the general focus thus far.  I'd like to pull everything together in one performance based logistics package.  PBL is catching on quick in my line of work, so.....................yeah..............I can do this.  Of course, I say that now.  We'll see if I'm thinking the same thing next spring.   :-\

Last time we spoke, you used the word "loathe."  Don, to be perfectly honest, I don't know if I'm cut from the right bolt of cloth to pursue a DBA or PhD-BA.  If I wasn't working full time......then yeah, OK.  I'm at a point now where I'm thinking I want off this roller coaster upon MSM award.  Ask me tomorrow, and I'll probably vacillate.  Perhaps that is because I'm looking TOO far down the road from my current vantage point.  I dunno.   :-\

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 01:30:28 PM »

I think I'm tracking, as does he.  The principles of customer service and warranty provisions coupled with a little quantitative analysis leading to scientifically sound decisions regarding aggregation through through the supply chain has been the general focus thus far.  I'd like to pull everything together in one performance based logistics package.  PBL is catching on quick in my line of work, so.....................yeah..............I can do this.  Of course, I say that now.  We'll see if I'm thinking the same thing next spring.   :-\

Last time we spoke, you used the word "loathe."  Don, to be perfectly honest, I don't know if I'm cut from the right bolt of cloth to pursue a DBA or PhD-BA.  If I wasn't working full time......then yeah, OK.  I'm at a point now where I'm thinking I want off this roller coaster upon MSM award.  Ask me tomorrow, and I'll probably vacillate.  Perhaps that is because I'm looking TOO far down the road from my current vantage point.  I dunno.   :-\

Henry, it wouldn't be unfair to say I wasn't always the happiest of students.  Grad school was better.  But that's like saying getting the clap once is better than getting it twice.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 02:21:25 PM »

It's all about what the goal is, in my opinion, Henry.  If the goal is to get a certain job, make X number of dollars, then I'd do whatever is required for you to reach that goal.  If the goal is to educate yourself beyond what may be necessary to function effectively in the job market, then keep going.

At the age of about 45 years, I took a couple of graduate courses in Public Administration.  I decided I did not want to do school again, not because it was difficult subject matter, but just I was not motivated to do so.  I had other things I preferred to do rather than spend my nights in class and my weekends writing papers.

That's why I don't make any money, and I'm in a friggin' HR job for a state University.  But then I never wanted to be a Chief...just always wanted to be a good Indian.  Lack of ambition?  Perhaps it may be defined as that by some, but not me.  Just had other priorities in life.

I do know that it's important to maintain a balance...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

REGGAB

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 06:24:56 AM »

It's all about what the goal is, in my opinion, Henry.  If the goal is to get a certain job, make X number of dollars, then I'd do whatever is required for you to reach that goal.  If the goal is to educate yourself beyond what may be necessary to function effectively in the job market, then keep going.

At the age of about 45 years, I took a couple of graduate courses in Public Administration.  I decided I did not want to do school again, not because it was difficult subject matter, but just I was not motivated to do so.  I had other things I preferred to do rather than spend my nights in class and my weekends writing papers.

That's why I don't make any money, and I'm in a friggin' HR job for a state University.  But then I never wanted to be a Chief...just always wanted to be a good Indian.  Lack of ambition?  Perhaps it may be defined as that by some, but not me.  Just had other priorities in life.

I do know that it's important to maintain a balance...

Can't explain it Terry.  It is a goal more than anything, however lately, it is becoming cumbersome when added to the list of other stuff I'm doing.  Oh, I'll keep going and finish.............but right now I'm just not too sure I want to go any further beyond a Master's.  As for the GCP......I think I'm going to do some combining next spring and summer.  The goal with that thing is to first:  meet the requirement, and second:  gain enough experience and confidence to be properly prepared should I choose to go any further.  It's that "balance" thing Terry...........right now I'm skewed too far toward work/school and way too far away from family/home.  I'm fortunate to be very well supported during this undertaking, but that doesn't mean I don't miss my family time.  At least I gained an additional 2 hours and 45 minutes of weekend since Renea bought that Cub Cadet ZTR for me.  :bananarock: :bananarock:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 12:46:39 PM »

At least I gained an additional 2 hours and 45 minutes of weekend since Renea bought that Cub Cadet ZTR for me.  :bananarock: :bananarock:

It's got a cup holder, right? :huepfenlol2:

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 01:16:09 PM »

Thanks for your input. 

Well to be honest...

I haven't a clue... :)

REGGAB

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 10:10:30 PM »

It's got a cup holder, right? :huepfenlol2:

Oh Yeah............and a 12 oz Yuengling in a coozie cover fits perfectly!   :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

REGGAB

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 10:11:27 PM »

Well to be honest...

I haven't a clue... :)

;D ;D  I appreciate your candor!   :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 20 queries.