Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Hey Harley, Check This Out.  (Read 6711 times)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Hey Harley, Check This Out.
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2007, 10:57:51 AM »

It does indeed stop that % of the air.  It doesn't eddy around the strands, it piles up in front of the mesh and flows right around the cooler.  Think of it this way, if it was a 50% mesh, you've blocked 50% of the cooler's fin area.  Nothing you can do, at any given speed, is going to get 100% air through 50% opening ... or even 60%, 70% ... etc. for that matter.  Screens are deceptive, but just think of the wind pressure that slams a screen door shut.  If the air somehow just got through by flowing around the strands, there wouldn't be any pressure to cause the slam.

bc

It absolutely does restrict air flow.  It will, as stated above, redirect the air around the cooler.  Do the test I suggested earlier - put a screen in front of a household fan - and you will be amazed at the reduction in air flow reaching you...

Scott
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2007, 11:21:03 AM »

It absolutely does restrict air flow.  It will, as stated above, redirect the air around the cooler.  Do the test I suggested earlier - put a screen in front of a household fan - and you will be amazed at the reduction in air flow reaching you...

Scott
I know that screens for a fact will restrict airflow dramatically. In firefighting when we are trying to remove smoke from buildings it has been documented that not removing screens from windows/openings will reduce the airflow by as much as 50%. Your choice, but I'd rather risk rupturing the oil cooler then restricting air to the oil cooler on an air cooled engine. I haven't heard of to many instances where these have been damaged because of rocks/debris getting thrown back into them.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

leoniru

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2007, 12:30:16 PM »

Again, can anyone speak to the issue of the duty cycle (so to speak) of these oil coolers? Aren't they an option on some models?
Are they always allowing oil flow when the motor is running -- with perhaps a variation in volume as oil temp rises -- or just on an as-needed basis?
Really guys, I'm NOT trying to burn my bike up, just trying to understand the principles a bit better.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2007, 12:58:10 PM »

Again, can anyone speak to the issue of the duty cycle (so to speak) of these oil coolers? Aren't they an option on some models?
Are they always allowing oil flow when the motor is running -- with perhaps a variation in volume as oil temp rises -- or just on an as-needed basis?
Really guys, I'm NOT trying to burn my bike up, just trying to understand the principles a bit better.

From the Harley Website:

This cooler was designed specifically for Harley-Davidson® to out-perform all other coolers in the industry. This cooler features a unique "Turbulator" system that evenly distributes oil across the cooling chambers. The air fins are designed to efficiently dissipate heat. This popular Touring oil cooler has been re-designed to simplify installation and enhance performance. The larger heat exchanger provides additional cooling efficiency. Kit features an adapter plate with integrated thermostat that allows oil lines to connect to the oil filter bracket. The thermostat activates at 185°F (85°C). Kit comes complete with mounting hardware and precut oil lines. Kit includes Chrome Oil Cooler Cover.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2007, 01:01:35 PM »

Chuck,
What do you think the ambient temperature would have to be that would keep our oil under 185 degrees? From what I'm thinking the oil cooler is going to be operating most of the time. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2007, 01:30:54 PM »

Does nayone monitor oil pressure?  From what I recall, Hd has a silly low pressure at idle, so low that I don't want a pressure guage, I think...Hell I don't use the speed thingy gauge and the one that moves up n down a lot, I think it has to do with noise.  ;-)

Miker

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2007, 01:33:24 PM »

Chuck,
What do you think the ambient temperature would have to be that would keep our oil under 185 degrees? From what I'm thinking the oil cooler is going to be operating most of the time. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

I am thinking your are likely wearing a warm jacket and gloves if your oil temp is below 185 degrees F.... 'specially if you are riding an 07...Scott
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2007, 01:56:22 PM »

Chuck,

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

On these engines, you'll never see 185 or less. So just assume the T'stat has the valve open all the time. As I stated from the beginning, the screen will impede airflow. The only way you'll know the impact is to meaure the oil temp in and out of the cooler. That's impractical. Frankly, I wouldn't alter the design of this component as we can't afford any loss of cooler efficiency on these motors. Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2007, 02:05:35 PM »

Chuck,

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

That's really hard to say. I do know that riding in the rain helps tons because the spray on the oil tank really sucks the heat out of the oil.

The oil cooler gets the oil right after it leaves the oil tank and goes through the oil pump. the cooler cools down the oil and then it circulates in the motor, picking up heat and returning to the tank where it does most of its cooling. The oil enters the tank at the rear and makes it way up to the front of the tank, losing heat along the way. We measure the temp at the front of the tank, AFTER if has cooled down, and just before it is picked up and sent back to the motor.

There are several ways to drop the oil temp in the oil tank: Larger fins on the bottom of the tank, adding some fins on the sides of the tank, adding room for an extra quart. All of these would lower oil temps by either increasing the heat transfer from the tank or giving the oil more time to lose the heat it is carrying.

One note I'll add here, is that low oil temps are not good either. You want your oil temps to get up above 180 degres so the contaminants will be boiled off. If you never get the temps up high enough to boil off the contaminants, the oil will become corrosive and do more harm than good. Oil temps steady at 200 degrees in the tank would be nirvana. Then the temp could be dropped going through the cooler before being sent to the engine to lubricate and cool the internals.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 02:48:33 PM by Chief »

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2007, 02:47:31 PM »

I am thinking your are likely wearing a warm jacket and gloves if your oil temp is below 185 degrees F.... 'specially if you are riding an 07...Scott
I was thinking more like layers of clothing. :coolblue: The only time I can think of that my oil temperature didn't get that high was once and I wished I hadn't been out riding that time.

On these engines, you'll never see 185 or less. So just assume the T'stat has the valve open all the time. As I stated from the beginning, the screen will impede airflow. The only way you'll know the impact is to meaure the oil temp in and out of the cooler. That's impractical. Frankly, I wouldn't alter the design of this component as we can't afford any loss of cooler efficiency on these motors. Hoist! 8)
That's exactly what I was thinking.

That's rally hard to say. I do know that riding in the rain helps tons because the spray on the oil tank really sucks the heat out of the oil.

The oil cooler gets the oil right after it leaves the oil tank and goes through the oil pump. the cooler cools down the oil and then it circulates in the motor, picking up heat and returning to the tank where it does most of its cooling. The oil enters the tank at the rear and makes it way up to the front of the tank, losing heat along the way. We measure the temp at the front of the tank, AFTER if has cooled down, and just before it is picked up and sent back to the motor.

There are several ways to drop the oil temp in the oil tank: Larger fins on the bottom of the tank, adding some fins on the sides of the tank, adding room for an extra quart. All of these would lower oil temps by either increasing the heat transfer from the tank or giving the oil more time to lose the heat it is carrying.
So the cooler is picking up the oil when it's at its coolest possible point before entering the motor to cool the motor. As you mention it would be hard to determine actually temperature of the oil at this particular time, but I would hope some engineer from MoCo (:-\) had figured this out and decided this was the best place/time in the system for additional cooling.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2007, 02:56:27 PM »

So the cooler is picking up the oil when it's at its coolest possible point before entering the motor to cool the motor. As you mention it would be hard to determine actual temperature of the oil at this particular time, but I would hope some engineer from MoCo (:-\) had figured this out and decided this was the best place/time in the system for additional cooling.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

I assume you mean the temp of the oil after the cooler and before the engine?

I would be curious to know, not to monitor while riding, but just know, oil tank temp, post-cooler temp, engine exit temp. That would give us storage, coolest and hottest. I would be interested in knowing just how much temperature rise the oil sees in one trip through the motor which we could get be measuring the entering and exiting temps.

If you really want to do more, you can modify your crash bar to hold an extra quart or so to drop the temp of the oil entering the motor some more, or an addidional cooler on the down tube can be added to the system parallel to the front oil cooler. I don't think it would be advisable to add a cooler in series with the original cooler as the extra resistance may reduce the oil flow too much, but a parallel arrangement is all good.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2007, 03:03:31 PM »

If you really want to do more, you can modify your crash bar to hold an extra quart or so to drop the temp of the oil entering the motor some more,
Hey Chief, do you know anyone that has installed this new engine guard/crash bar oil cooler kit?  That's intreguing to me, at least.  A extra qt. of oil could be truly beneficial to these hot-temp. motors.  har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2007, 03:10:19 PM »

I assume you mean the temp of the oil after the cooler and before the engine?

I would be curious to know, not to monitor while riding, but just know, oil tank temp, post-cooler temp, engine exit temp. That would give us storage, coolest and hottest. I would be interested in knowing just how much temperature rise the oil sees in one trip through the motor which we could get be measuring the entering and exiting temps.

If you really want to do more, you can modify your crash bar to hold an extra quart or so to drop the temp of the oil entering the motor some more, or an addidional cooler on the down tube can be added to the system parallel to the front oil cooler. I don't think it would be advisable to add a cooler in series with the original cooler as the extra resistance may reduce the oil flow too much, but a parallel arrangement is all good.
All of these temperatures would be good data to know, but as was mentioned before and I'm thinking it's not to many times that the thermostat would be closed so that leads me to believe that the temp is going to be above 185 degrees more times then not. Considering that would cause me to have reservations about restricting the airflow around the cooler. :nervous:

My concerns are in no way trying to diss what leoniru has designed to protect the oil cooler, but more so of what is the worst of the two evils. For me I think I'll chance a rock damaging the cooler then having hotter oil flowing thru my motor.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2007, 03:15:54 PM »

All of these temperatures would be good data to know, but as was mentioned before and I'm thinking it's not to many times that the thermostat would be closed so that leads me to believe that the temp is going to be above 185 degrees more times then not. Considering that would cause me to have reservations about restricting the airflow around the cooler. :nervous:

My concerns are in no way trying to diss what leoniru has designed to protect the oil cooler, but more so of what is the worst of the two evils. For me I think I'll chance a rock damaging the cooler then having hotter oil flowing thru my motor.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

I see where you're coming from now. Yes, once the bike warms up, it's flowing oil.

I think adding a small mud flap to the rear of the front fender would protect the cooler from FOD without negatively impacting its performance.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2007, 03:57:43 PM »

Hey Chief, do you know anyone that has installed this new engine guard/crash bar oil cooler kit?  That's intreguing to me, at least.  A extra qt. of oil could be truly beneficial to these hot-temp. motors.  har!  spyder

spydglide,

No, I sure don't. The one I think of isn't really a kit, but a set of instructions on how to convert the stock bar to a cooler. It basically involves drilling and tapping holes and running some hoses. There is a pictoral on a website silvercrow, or something like that. Back before the '03 intro of the coolers on the SE's, it was talked about a lot on the TC88 Yahoo group. I think some of the reported observations were suspect in how effective it was, but I think it might be a good way to get some supplemental cooling to help what we've got.

The extra quart would also buy you an extra 25% in oil change interval since the oil wouldn't get dirty as fast.

I was always intrigued by it, but never bit the bullet. I just may do it just to see what effect it has.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 20 queries.