Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Hey Harley, Check This Out.  (Read 6706 times)

leoniru

• Full CVO Member
Hey Harley, Check This Out.
« on: June 21, 2007, 08:39:01 AM »

Well after only 1200 miles or so, I noticed several dings in the conduit and bent fins in my SERK oil cooler. I mentioned this apparent vulnerability in one of my earlier rants on the on/off design genius of the H-D engineering staff.
Rather than continue on just complaining about or ignoring the matter I decided to come up with a 'fix' which would not only work, but also not look bad on the bike.
I began by searching the web to see what types of stainless steel mesh were out there, and to make a long story shorter, I ordered a 12 inch x 24 inch piece of '7x7' woven mesh from McMaster-Carr Industrial Supply for thirty odd dollars with shipping.
After removing my oil cooler trim cover (and cleaning up the oily mess that my dealer was supposed to clean after the 1,000 mile service), I measured the window opening in the trim cover and carefully cut a piece of the mesh approximately 2 & 7/8 inches by 7 & 3/4 inches with an abrasive wheel on my flex-shaft moto-tool thus preventing or encouraging any tendency for the mesh to unravel. By the way, this mesh is constructed of 0.046" diameter wire, which is fairly rigid. There are many wire diameters available and I'm sure thinner sizes would work, but I wanted something that would sustain a pelting by a pretty sizeable projectile at speed, yet not dramatically impede or reduce air flow. This size mesh is rated as having a 50% open area. As I'm not an engineer, I cannot say for certain that this will not impede or reduce the oil cooler's effectiveness to the point of uselessness. My guess is it won't.
There was no need to secure the mesh to the inside perimeter of the window as once the trim cover is reassembled onto the oil cooler it is sufficiently squeezed and held firmly enough to prevent rattling or movement.
Here's a photo of the finished mod. Now all I'll have to do is periodically replace my 'sacrificial' oil cooler trim cover as needed rather than the cooler itself.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Hey Harley, Check This Out.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 08:46:23 AM »

Very creative Leon. It came out nice. I hope the mesh doesn't impede it's cooling ability though. You'd be surprised at how much of the face area of that coil you just blocked off. Before doing this, determine the "free" area of the mesh you want to use. There's a spec on that. If the free area is lees than 90% of the total area, I'd stay away. It will impede cooling performance. These engines need all the help they can get. Keep any eye on your temps. If they rise as a result, I'd remove it. The oil cooler replacement is cheaper than an engine replacement. Good luck with it. Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

leoniru

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 08:56:08 AM »

I also hit on a quick, though not 100% effective way to protect some other vulnerable areas which are at the mercy of any objects kicked-up by the front tire.
These are some of the painted areas of the frame under the motor and tranny.
As I was working on the oil cooler update, it dawned on me that I had a roll of vinyl/rubber edge trim in my storage area. I had bought it years ago from J.C. Whitney, and used short (about 1" long) pieces to hold my Beemer's protective tank cover in place. It looked like it would be about the right width and size for the thickness of the painted edges in question.
Much to my delight, it fit tightly and covered nearly all of the exposed surfaces. We'll see if it stays on and does it's job without causing any unanticipated negative effects.
Here's a pic of the trim in place.

leoniru

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 08:58:45 AM »

Here's another pic of the trim on the frame area beneath the tranny.

leoniru

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 09:03:58 AM »

And here's one of the mesh and end view of the trim material.

leoniru

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 07:49:08 AM »

Just a little update. I've put several hundred miles on the bike in 70 to near 90 degree weather with no detectable increase in the bike's heat levels.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 09:19:45 AM »

Very cool idea. I suspect that the vinyl trim on the underside will disappear w/ some regularity but thats better than banging away w/ metal on speed bumps.

bpalmersheim

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 CVO Screamin' Eagle Road King (FLHRSE3) 110" - Razor Red/Gold Leaf Flames
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 12:37:04 PM »

How about cutting up your extra mesh and vinyl and selling them to us as a "kit"?
2007 CVO Screamin' Eagle Road King (FLHRSE3) 110" - Razor Red/Gold Leaf Flames

United States Army Retired (4x Combat Veteran)
CVMA, H.O.G. Member, Patriot Guard Rider

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 01:30:51 PM »

Well after only 1200 miles or so, I noticed several dings in the conduit and bent fins in my SERK oil cooler. I mentioned this apparent vulnerability in one of my earlier rants on the on/off design genius of the H-D engineering staff.
Rather than continue on just complaining about or ignoring the matter I decided to come up with a 'fix' which would not only work, but also not look bad on the bike.
I began by searching the web to see what types of stainless steel mesh were out there, and to make a long story shorter, I ordered a 12 inch x 24 inch piece of '7x7' woven mesh from McMaster-Carr Industrial Supply for thirty odd dollars with shipping.
After removing my oil cooler trim cover (and cleaning up the oily mess that my dealer was supposed to clean after the 1,000 mile service), I measured the window opening in the trim cover and carefully cut a piece of the mesh approximately 2 & 7/8 inches by 7 & 3/4 inches with an abrasive wheel on my flex-shaft moto-tool thus preventing or encouraging any tendency for the mesh to unravel. By the way, this mesh is constructed of 0.046" diameter wire, which is fairly rigid. There are many wire diameters available and I'm sure thinner sizes would work, but I wanted something that would sustain a pelting by a pretty sizeable projectile at speed, yet not dramatically impede or reduce air flow. This size mesh is rated as having a 50% open area. As I'm not an engineer, I cannot say for certain that this will not impede or reduce the oil cooler's effectiveness to the point of uselessness. My guess is it won't.
There was no need to secure the mesh to the inside perimeter of the window as once the trim cover is reassembled onto the oil cooler it is sufficiently squeezed and held firmly enough to prevent rattling or movement.
Here's a photo of the finished mod. Now all I'll have to do is periodically replace my 'sacrificial' oil cooler trim cover as needed rather than the cooler itself.

If you have any of the mesh material left over - try this.  Turn a fan on and blow it in your face - then take the left over piece of mesh and hold it in front of your face.  You will be amazed at the reduction in air flow...

Scott
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

bc

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 02:01:37 PM »

How about cutting up your extra mesh and vinyl and selling them to us as a "kit"?

Make it a Screamin Eagle kit and sell it for $167.50.   
bc
'07 FXSTSSE

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 02:04:40 PM »

Make it a Screamin Eagle kit and sell it for $167.50.   
bc

I'm with Scott on this one. Blocking off 50% of the flow area can't be good for cooling.

I've never heard of one of these coolers split open by a rock. I guess it could happen, I just haven't heard of it before.

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 02:48:50 PM »

I was with a friend who has an 04 SEEG and his was punctured on the freeway.  Had to be towed.  That said, his is the only one that I know of.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

leoniru

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2007, 03:10:13 PM »

I know that the 50% reduction in open area is of concern. Doesn't SEEM to be running any hotter, but then again I have no measured data to back this up.
Does anyone know just how often one of these oil coolers is actually circulating hot oil? Aren't they thermostatically controlled? If so, isn't it possible that they are only actually functioning for some of the time? Like when stuck in stop-and-go traffic, or in blistering heat?
Also, the mesh can't possibly completely stop that fraction of the air from slipping around the rounded strands and continuing on it's way through the cooler's core. The strands are not afixed solidly to the oil cooler's front surface. They sit ---be it mere millimeters or even a fraction of a millimeter --- slightly in front of it.  Kind of like a rock in a stream. The water hitting the rock straight on doesn't bounce off and continue back upstream indefinitely. It eventually slides around the rock. Yes, it causes an eddy below the rock, but it doesn't stop the water from continuing it's journey.
And also, though stainless is not an exceptionally good conductor, isn't it possible that this mesh may even assist the transfer of heat to the airstream by the principle of conduction?
Again, I'm not an engineer ---just have enough knowledge to be dangerous I suppose. Rest assured, I am keeping a close eye/ear/nose on the bike wrt signs of overheating. I guess I'll have to breakdown and buy one of those dipstick-style thermometers and try to do some empiracle observation both with and without the mesh.

bc

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2007, 06:01:06 PM »

Also, the mesh can't possibly completely stop that fraction of the air from slipping around the rounded strands and continuing on it's way through the cooler's core. The strands are not afixed solidly to the oil cooler's front surface. They sit ---be it mere millimeters or even a fraction of a millimeter --- slightly in front of it.  Kind of like a rock in a stream. The water hitting the rock straight on doesn't bounce off and continue back upstream indefinitely. It eventually slides around the rock. Yes, it causes an eddy below the rock, but it doesn't stop the water from continuing it's journey.

It does indeed stop that % of the air.  It doesn't eddy around the strands, it piles up in front of the mesh and flows right around the cooler.  Think of it this way, if it was a 50% mesh, you've blocked 50% of the cooler's fin area.  Nothing you can do, at any given speed, is going to get 100% air through 50% opening ... or even 60%, 70% ... etc. for that matter.  Screens are deceptive, but just think of the wind pressure that slams a screen door shut.  If the air somehow just got through by flowing around the strands, there wouldn't be any pressure to cause the slam.

bc
'07 FXSTSSE

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2007, 07:28:37 PM »

Hey Leoniru, I think you did a great job and I especially love anything outa polished stainless......BUT, as hot as my SEEG runs, I need a car radiator up front, can't take a chance on going in the other direction on cooling.  But, you keep up w/ the inovation and I thank you for posting/sharing it.  :2vrolijk_21: Har!  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 24 queries.