Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 18" wheels...  (Read 2039 times)

phattey

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's the journey...

• CVO1: FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2 Sold
18" wheels...
« on: January 12, 2005, 03:53:03 PM »

If a person was going to run 18's front and rear....what would those wheel widths be..

18x3.5..?? What are the current 16" widths...??

What size tires would be the best choice...?? Not brand, but size..

Phattey...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 03:53:44 PM by phattey »

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: 18" wheels...
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 04:36:26 PM »

Phatty;
The stock rims are 3.5" wide. I would use an 18 x 3.5 or 4". As far as the tire size a 140 is about a fat as you can go without messing with the belt  and spacers. If your looking for spoked rims check out Billet Boys. They only use Akront rims and Buchannon spokes on thier assemblies.

phattey

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's the journey...

• CVO1: FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2 Sold
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 04:45:15 PM »

Thanks...HD-Dude...

If I was going to do it...I guess 18X3.5 is where I'd go.

But where I'm confused is the tires. I'm used to plus conversions on cars where you go from a 60 series to 50 series to a 40 series yet never lose your outside tire diameter - you know...195/60/15=205/55/16=215/45/17=225/35/18...all these are very close in overall tire diameter in the plus conversion game.

Thus, what would the hieght be on going to an 18" tire. I'm increasing my wheel diameter, yet need to lower my tire diameter to accomidate the height change and remain close to the original outside tire diameter...

Hmm...

Would it be 130/50/18 front..? And a 140/50/18 rear?? Is that how it might pan out..??

I've spent very little time on motorcycle tire conversions...just rode what they came with in most cases...

Phattey...

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 04:52:27 PM »

I'm not sure of the conversions, but from experience on my last bike there was a slight height change (increase of about 1/4 inch) when i went to the 18" rims. I know this because I stood both wheels together when they were of and the 18's were about 1/2 taller. I used a 140/70HB/18 on both front and rear. I have seen bikes with a 130 on the front since and actually like that look better. Another option that looks kind of cool is a 21 x 3.5 for the front.

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 08:26:27 AM »

Be very carefull about changing tire on these bikes load range is critical.  Had quite a talk with the metzler guys in reno last year about putting a 150 on the rear of my bike and they all said NO they are not rated for it.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005, 09:35:54 AM »

Magoo, glad to read your comment about Metzler @ Reno. At Daytona last spring when I originally was considering the new bike, Metzler guys said 150 was the way to go and a 140 something 18 on front. I do intend to use 18x3.5 on front and 18x4.25 Performance Machine wheels on rear with 13 brakes and 6 piston frt calipers. Definitely will have to talk to Metzler again and check load cap myself by reading the sidewall.

Laker

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2005, 10:16:30 AM »

Magoo, glad to read your comment about Metzler @ Reno. At Daytona last spring when I originally was considering the new bike, Metzler guys said 150 was the way to go and a 140 something 18 on front. I do intend to use 18x3.5 on front and 18x4.25 Performance Machine wheels on rear with 13 brakes and 6 piston frt calipers. Definitely will have to talk to Metzler again and check load cap myself by reading the sidewall.

DW I have been thinking about doing the same thing and would love to see pics and hear any thoughts you have after the install. Thanks.

PCC

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2005, 12:57:06 PM »

I'm not in favor of an 18 on the back of these bikes. The sidewall profile of of the tire needed goes from a 90 to a 70 which is just too short. I think the load range would also be exceeded with gear and/or a pasenger but I am not sure of that. Either way, you can't see the profile of the rear tire well anyway so why mess with load ranges. IMO The 18 or 21x3.5 on the front would be great. The other thing is, not many manufacturers make 18 inch tires. hard to get if you need one on the road.  

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2005, 06:05:37 PM »

PCC, have you looked at the 20" tires on new car and trucks? Sidewall is OUT brother, Chrome is in. I want the wheel to show on the rear under the saddlebags, not black rubber.  Seriously though I do intend to only install a tire with enough load range. Metzler has made the + 1 or some other strange name deal for years for baggers, the tire is the same overall height but is a 18". These are a 140 I just want to go with a 150 which could be a load problem, not sure yet. I did think about your needing a tire comment and them not being available. Three dealers in my area all stock Metzler so I assume that would mean others do as well, and everywhere in the world offers overnite shipping now, so that shouldn't stand between being cool and not.

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2005, 06:14:05 PM »

Laker, I do not intend to change until after Bikeweek in March. That way I can actually put my fingers on the wheels and tires at the Performance Machine & Metzler booth. Also I have some questions regarding master cylinder volume, bore size in relation to our stock brakes and the Performance Machine 6 piston units.  Brakes I do find are a good thing. I want better braking in addition to better appearance, plus this is such an insane expensive changeover that I want everypart number from manufacturer rep and a guaurantee I am not the first to do this prior to spending over 3g' for wheels, brakes and tires.

Laker

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2005, 06:48:16 PM »

I hear ya DW. I probably won't get to it until sometime this summer so you will surely beat me to it. That is, of course, if I get all the right answers and feel comfortable enough doing the change. Good luck and please post what you find out in Daytona. I am planning on going and hope it stays that way.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]  

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2005, 02:45:45 PM »

Be very careful about putting a 150 on these bike the metzler guy told me they are not approved for the load range of a bagger and failure at speed would be a very bad thing.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

PCC

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2005, 06:41:43 PM »

DW

Now whose behing the times??/ 20" wheels yeaterday's news...passe....24" wheels ...bling!!!1
[smiley=beerchug.gif]

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 24 queries.