Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Road King or Electra Glide ?  (Read 5661 times)

billt1

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • NH

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Road Glide
Road King or Electra Glide ?
« on: July 11, 2007, 08:15:47 AM »

I am going to ask the same question I asked at the Road King form and see if the full fairing riders can share any thoughts “Today I ordered a 08 SERK. I now have a 05 SE Eletraglide and had placed a deposit a month ago on my anticipated release of a SE Street glide. I have made up my mind to get a new bike and I do not want an Ultra so I changed my order to the SE Road king. I plan to sell/trade my 05 SE Eltraglide so I hope I am not making a mistake getting away from the batwing fairing but I NEVER listen to the radio and never cared for the additional weight carried so high because of the radio and fairing > Any thoughts?   

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Re: Road King or Electra Glide ?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 08:42:24 AM »

I am going to ask the same question I asked at the Road King form and see if the full fairing riders can share any thoughts “Today I ordered a 08 SERK. I now have a 05 SE Eletraglide and had placed a deposit a month ago on my anticipated release of a SE Street glide. I have made up my mind to get a new bike and I do not want an Ultra so I changed my order to the SE Road king. I plan to sell/trade my 05 SE Eltraglide so I hope I am not making a mistake getting away from the batwing fairing but I NEVER listen to the radio and never cared for the additional weight carried so high because of the radio and fairing > Any thoughts?   

As long as you're happy with your decision, what I think is irrelevant. I like both of them and think you'll be very happy with your RK. I like the goodies on the EG's, so I will stay with that platform.

Hoist will agree with you, as will almost every other RK owner that the RK beats the EG's hands down. I think they're nuts, but that's just an EG owner talking smack.  ;D

Get it. Ride it. Love it.  :2vrolijk_21:

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 08:47:21 AM »

Bill

I think it's a mistake to change from the Electra Glide to the R/K.
For real touring and comfort there is nothing better than that batwing fairing.
If you can REALLY feel the weight of the radio and the fairing then you are much more sensitive to that weight than I have ever been. I have had 8 electra glides and have never thought, GEEZ this radio and fairing make this bike feel heavy. I have never heard of anyone else complain of that either.

With these thoughts in your head you have probably already decided that you want the R/K and the weight is just a means to your end. So enjoy the R/K, it's a fine bike! It's just not an Electra Glide!

:2vrolijk_21:

And I guess I shouldn't even bring up the owner of this site's personal bike.
A R/K with the batwing fairing. A very smart man he is!
 :)

Also
Your in Concord?
Concord where?
I'm only 5 miles from the Concord next to Lowes motor Speedway!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 08:51:24 AM by Silver-Black »

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

sooiee

• Senior CVO Member
    • NC
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 09:00:05 AM »

I DO like the road king.  I'm 6'5" and very comfortable on it.  Seems to me to have more leg room and you feel more attached to the bike and road to make riding it a pleasant experience.  You will litterally feel like part of the bike.  The only BAD thing that I can say about the Road King is the wind deflector.  It forces all that wind directly into my face.  Either pop it off and go naked (the wind deflector that is) or put a taller one on. 

Their both different in riding.  Besides...if you didn't swap out the rear shock for a more plush ride on the FLHTCSE2 that you have now, you'll like the ride on the Road King a lot better. 
I have told folks that I compare the ride to the bike you've got to a lumber wagon on a cobblestone road.  I think the ride on the SERK is fantastic for a big bike.  It feels agile yet has a comfy ride. 
For what it's worth...Enjoy it! 

Sooiee
Remember.....Just going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a motorcycle.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 09:04:36 AM »

Almost every other RK owner that the RK beats the EG's hands down. I think they're nuts, but that's just an EG owner talking smack.  ;D

Glide owner talking smack-Never    8)..  

Like Chief stated, get what you want.  There is good sides to both bikes.  Each owner has different tastes.    No one simple answer for everyone.  I personally like the bat wing fairing and upgrades that it provides.   I like my 05 extremely well but it took a lot of aftermarket parts (with help from this site) to get it where it is.  It was just ordinary from the MOCO, now it is a great bike which would be hard to sell.  They haven't made anything better yet to replace it with, but that's just me.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 09:38:02 AM »

I'm torn, but if you never listen to the radio, use the intercom and live were it doesn't rain, get cold or don't ride when it does, the RK makes sense to me.

I am torn because I do use all of the "stuff" on my SEUC and I need to buy a second bike for a second home.  I am looking at a RG or a RK I think........... but can't decide if I need a faring and some stuff again.

No question the RK will ride lighter and more free IMO.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 09:42:09 AM »

Counterpoint!

The Road King is the best touring bike if you still want to feel like you're riding a bike, not a 2-wheeled convertible. The SERK3 is the best RK they've made to date. The SERK4 should be similar, as long as you can make the needed mods. I fully agree with the extra high weight added to the FD's. The performance and handling of the RK will always be better than a equally equipped FD. After owning 5 Rk's since '95, and 1 EC, there's no way you'll see me on another FD! You're making the right choice. Don't worry, just enjoy your new SERK! ;) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

70_GTX

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 09:42:46 AM »

I've had both models and the Electraglide is the cold weather champ. I also feel that the Electraglide is easier to clean. Bugs seem to stop on the fairing and lowers, not all the way down the side of the bike.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 09:50:24 AM »

Please only one thread per subject. Makes it easier to follow and all posts can be made in one thread. Thanks. 

I've merged your two threads together so all information can be in one place.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 09:55:36 AM »

Please only one thread per subject. Makes it easier to follow and all posts can be made in one thread. Thanks. 

I've merged your two threads together so all information can be in one place.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

I'd hate to what might happen if Howie started to post two threads everytime he opened a new topic.  :huepfenlol2:

I'm sure the RK guys and the EG guys will find the thread.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 10:11:01 AM »

I'm torn, but if you never listen to the radio, use the intercom and live were it doesn't rain, get cold or don't ride when it does, the RK makes sense to me.

I am torn because I do use all of the "stuff" on my SEUC and I need to buy a second bike for a second home.  I am looking at a RG or a RK I think........... but can't decide if I need a faring and some stuff again.

No question the RK will ride lighter and more free IMO.
Roger,
I think you'd be better off getting something w/a fairing. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 10:13:21 AM »

Counterpoint!

The Road King is the best touring bike if you still want to feel like you're riding a bike, not a 2-wheeled convertible. The SERK3 is the best RK they've made to date. The SERK4 should be similar, as long as you can make the needed mods. I fully agree with the extra high weight added to the FD's. The performance and handling of the RK will always be better than a equally equipped FD. After owning 5 Rk's since '95, and 1 EC, there's no way you'll see me on another FD! You're making the right choice. Don't worry, just enjoy your new SERK! ;) Hoist! 8)
Hmmmm. Hey Chip what do you think about this?? :evilgrin: Sounds like somebody needs to ride w/the HBRR's. :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2007, 10:30:36 AM »

Hmmmm. Hey Chip what do you think about this?? :evilgrin: Sounds like somebody needs to ride w/the HBRR's. :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Equally equip a RK to any HBRR bike and put the same rider on that bike, the RK will beat the FD every time! ;) Sorry guys, I know you love your FD's. But the RK weighs 100 lbs less and has a lower center of gravity. And don't go looking to Chip! His Frontier isn't a FD, it's a custom Softail! ;) Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2007, 10:36:24 AM »

Equally equip a RK to any HBRR bike and put the same rider on that bike, the RK will beat the FD every time! ;) Sorry guys, I know you love your FD's. But the RK weighs 100 lbs less and has a lower center of gravity. And don't go looking to Chip! His Frontier isn't a FD, it's a custom Softail! ;) Hoist! 8)
Chip isn't the only HBRR. :oops: I would like to see you ride with Otis on his RG and that's only a 95ci and heavier then your RK. ;D

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2007, 10:39:22 AM »

Chip isn't the only HBRR. :oops: I would like to see you ride with Otis on his RG and that's only a 95ci and heavier then your RK. ;D

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

d00d, like I said, equally equip a RK exactly like his bike, and have him ride it, the RK will beat his own RG! I never said I was beating Otis or anyone else. Not that it's not fun trying! ::) Hoist! 8)

Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 24 queries.