Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Trying to avoid 110 Engine Issues  (Read 8017 times)

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: Trying to avoid 110 Engine Issues
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2007, 05:24:15 PM »

Blowncobra,

Dougie at Carl's doesnt tune the Race Tuner only Power Commander and the last I was there they had no interest in doing the SERT. 

While he can do a good job on the PC, I will stay with the SERT.   I have had 2 PC's go bad and no interest in giving them another dime.   
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

BalDeagle

• FLHRSE3 Candy Cobalt with Pale Gold Leafing Graphics
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do it today, tomorrow may be too late......
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2007, 05:26:52 PM »

Blowncobra,

Dougie at Carl's doesnt tune the Race Tuner only Power Commander and the last I was there they had no interest in doing the SERT. 

While he can do a good job on the PC, I will stay with the SERT.   I have had 2 PC's go bad and no interest in giving them another dime.   

What happened to them ??

Nige
Don't leave it until tomorrow, do it today !

110 SERK FLHRSE3
Power Commander
Doherty PowerPacc + PowerVents + Mystfree
Vance & Hines Slip ons + V & H True Duals
Lots of other shiny bits!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2007, 06:04:58 PM »

GRC,

Today you can get around the 14.7 somewhat you can limit it with the SERT in closed loop bias tables.

If you set them to a max value you can get them down in the areas you wish to work with to approx 14-14.2 to 1.

That's great Harry.  I didn't realize the SERT would let you get down to 14:1, which isn't a bad number for cruise.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2007, 06:49:19 PM »

I have a new  anniversary USE3 on order that's supposed to be here around the first of August.  I already traded off my '06 melon.  I plan to keep the bike stock and was wondering if I could just get a "download" to get it to run cooler/richer.  (I had a race tuner with the old bike, with pipes and a/c kit.)  Does anyone know if they still do the "downloads"?  (-they used to cost about $150).  I guess I could do another Doherty Power Pacc to open the intake, but the pipes are gonna stay stock.  I would hope that I don't need to purchase another race tuner just to get the right AFR to keep a stock bike from burning up.  -Steve
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2007, 07:25:16 PM »

I have a new  anniversary USE3 on order that's supposed to be here around the first of August.  I already traded off my '06 melon.  I plan to keep the bike stock and was wondering if I could just get a "download" to get it to run cooler/richer.  (I had a race tuner with the old bike, with pipes and a/c kit.)  Does anyone know if they still do the "downloads"?  (-they used to cost about $150).  I guess I could do another Doherty Power Pacc to open the intake, but the pipes are gonna stay stock.  I would hope that I don't need to purchase another race tuner just to get the right AFR to keep a stock bike from burning up.  -Steve

Steve, I picked up my 07 serk 8.06 with slip-on's SE ac and the "download"...  It really didn't run too well(not bad just not well), had a recall for a "torque smoothing" downloadwith no seat of pants difference to me.  So in went the sert with a new rinehart 2-1 (to aid in exhaust scavenging) and a dyno tune to get the afr downto the low 14's... The bike runs a lot better and metal temps measured at the rear cylinder near the spark plug via IR detector have not exceed 380 F, I have no idea of oil temp, I haven't put the lcd dipstick in (does anyone have an oil to metal temp correlation yet?)...I have around 2500 hard ridden miles (highway to city, stop and go) and no problems yet...I think fattening them up prior to break-in regardless of what you choose in pipes, ac and tuning is key to keeping the cylinder walls cleaner during break-in.  Like anyone else it is JMHO....Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Miker

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2007, 07:28:33 PM »

Steve,
Check out vtwin.com there was a very informative article on the SERT replete with all of the newest downloads.  I don't have my computer as it is packed up now, am using my laptop and don't have the same things saved.  I am sure someone can help you with out you shelling out the buck and a half.  If you still have the SERT from your other bike it won't work with a new bike once it has been programed with the ECM.  If you want a custom MAP it may cost you but for the canned ones they shouldn't cost a red cent...Hey Howie where does that saying come from...RED CENT?!!

Seegarz

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2007, 07:41:40 PM »

Harley is not releasing downloads for the CVO's so they say just like they said in 07, There is supposed to be a race tuner for the 08 models, but until they are released who knows what you will or wont be able to do with them.   The 07 download was just a reflash to help bikes that had heat / lean issues / smoothing.    If your going to want to change your download you will have to buy X product SERT / PowerCommander / Thundermax / Daytona Twin Tec etc.   From there you will have to either tweak it yourself or pay for a tune.   i expect you will see the same lean conditions we saw in 07 on the 08's, but until we know for sure its a crap shoot and speculation.  Attached you will see the lastest version of the SERT oem calibration file and what maps are included with version 4.62

BlownCobra,

Not sure what happened to them specifically.   The first one that died was under warranty and replaced and I have the replacement still at the house and the other one was out of warranty.   One died on a trip, luckily the bike had a stage1 download in it and I could get back home.   The 2nd one the bike would not start and after removing it the bike fired right up.   I ended up buying a SERT and have been using one ever since.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 07:43:13 PM by Unbalanced »
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2007, 08:14:04 PM »

Blowncobra,

Many dyno shops prefer the PC because they can tune one in about 40 minutes and make good money. A SERT takes more training and typically takes 4 to 6 hours to do an extensive tune.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2007, 11:41:40 PM »

I like the idea of the sert better than other choices bacause there are no additional parts on the bike.  I can't believe there isn't an easy sert program for those who just want their bikes to run properly.  It's funny how the EPA forces the mfg. to meet guidelines, but for an extra few hundred bucks, you can get around it- and accomplish this with the same EPA approved manufacturer.  -Just goes to prove "life is like a sh** sandwich.  The more money you have, the less sh** you have to eat".  Maybe one answer would be to get  exhaust sensors that are giving readings that would allow the engine to run cooler.  -I don't want to polute the atmosphere, I just want my bike to run properly and for the engine to last.  -Steve

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2007, 11:47:32 PM »

I like the idea of the sert better than other choices bacause there are no additional parts on the bike.  I can't believe there isn't an easy sert program for those who just want their bikes to run properly.  It's funny how the EPA forces the mfg. to meet guidelines, but for an extra few hundred bucks, you can get around it- and accomplish this with the same EPA approved manufacturer.   -Just goes to prove "life is like a sh** sandwich.  The more money you have, the less sh** you have to eat".  Maybe one answer would be to get  exhaust sensors that are giving readings that would allow the engine to run cooler.  -I don't want to polute the atmosphere, I just want my bike to run properly and for the engine to last.  -Steve
I believe the reason they can get around the EPA is because they distribute it as "For race application only". Even though everyone knows that it is used in other applications with them adding that disclaimer keeps "Big Brother" off their back.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2007, 12:01:51 AM »

My 110 springer is still at 230 to 255 degrees with sert V&H pro pipe K&N open air filter  it don't matter outside air temps 2weeks ago in 95 degree temps or this past sat in 83 temps it still runs hot I think  will drop syn3 and go with amsoil  asap...

bc

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2007, 09:02:51 AM »

I believe the reason they can get around the EPA is because they distribute it as "For race application only". Even though everyone knows that it is used in other applications with them adding that disclaimer keeps "Big Brother" off their back.

The thing that gets me is that the EPA makes a big deal of emissions on a motor that already gets 40mpg, plus or minus.  Plus, my mileage got BETTER after tuning.

bc

'07 FXSTSSE

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2007, 10:45:27 AM »

I am worried about excessive heat on my soon to be delivered USE3.  I have been checking other web sites, and found an article that I thought was very interesting.  Check this out: http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hd2007HD_heat_00.htm
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 12:48:51 PM by Steve G »

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2007, 01:49:30 PM »

i can't open this
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

blowncobra

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE Blue
    • CVO2: 2018 CVO Street Glide Orange Lava
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2007, 02:02:32 PM »

Me neither, glad i am not the only computer challenged one around here? :o
THE WHOLE WORLD NEEDS A DRINK
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 20 queries.