Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Trying to avoid 110 Engine Issues  (Read 7996 times)

rkelon

Trying to avoid 110 Engine Issues
« on: July 17, 2007, 07:07:14 PM »

I just bought a 2007 Springer and I am trying to avoid the heat issues.  I ordered a Power Commander for the heat and Rush slip-on mufflers...for sound.  Any other heat remedies?  Advice appreciated.

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
Re: Trying to avoid 110 Engine Issues
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 09:25:25 PM »

My advice, RUN AWAY!!! Kidding, but I don't think that the issue has been completely figured out yet. Some folks here have made some adjustments that work quite favorably. I personally have had no issues with heat since I had the complete rebuild and the new map, and I am all stock without any mods at all. I am sure the experts will give beter responses once they read your thread. Good luck.

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 03:14:41 AM »

I just bought a 2007 Springer and I am trying to avoid the heat issues.  I ordered a Power Commander for the heat and Rush slip-on mufflers...for sound.  Any other heat remedies?  Advice appreciated.

:welcome_005: on the CVO website.

It would be fine for the other members if you present you in the thread "New Member Introduction"
with a pic of your bike   :2vrolijk_21:

Ride safe !

Best regards

:vrolijk_26: Jacques
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

d o g o l s

• 1K CVO Member
  • *** ride save and have fun***

• CVO1: blue Thunder FLHTCUSE-4
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE-2 black-orange-Jester
    • CVO3: 2008 FXDB black
    • Harley Fan
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 03:52:53 AM »

rkelon  welcome aboard  :2vrolijk_21:

:worthless:

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 06:56:49 AM »

Aren't we all...you may want to add a little more clean air to the mix...I know too much air is the problem in the first place but if you have a good tune with the PC should all work out. 

Konichiwa from Okinawa,

Seegarz :2vrolijk_21:

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

bc

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 10:45:51 AM »

That will bring it into reasonability range.  Doing more is strictly optional. 

bc
'07 FXSTSSE

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 10:51:48 AM »

Run it a little on the rich side, I am around 13.5 afr, no soot on the plug but a little black smoke when cold as the loop ain't in control when it s cold.

Miker

rkelon

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 02:45:20 PM »

13.5 is what they are tuning it for the guy at FuelMoto was helpful.  He said to wait until I get about 100 miles on the bike before I do the install.  I am on mile 32...rain.

Seegarz...konichiwa.  Mina genki desu ka?  Okinawa wa do desu ka?  Ato de.

Panther

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 02:52:42 PM »

I put a dealer installed SERT on my bike along with Rinehart slip ons and SE air cleaner.  I felt like the heat was definitely more than my anniversary RKC, but not really as bad as I expected after reading many of the posts on this site.  And I have had it out in the Texas heat in traffic.  I just installed the Kurakyn heat shields that sit just above the motor on each side, and I along with my wife can definitely tell a difference with the shields installed.  Some may not like the looks, but I think it's the best $50 I've spent on the bike.  Hope this helps.

Panther.

rkelon

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 04:07:28 PM »

I see your point, but from what I have learned the open engine bikes don't have the same issues as the dressers, which trap heat due to the lower fairing pieces.  Additionally, the SE tune only dropped AFR to 14.1, which is why I went with the piggyback chip, which deleted the sensors and remaps the fuel curve.  However, I do appreciate the advise...every little bit of knowledge helps.

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 04:12:25 PM »

I put a dealer installed SERT on my bike along with Rinehart slip ons and SE air cleaner.  I felt like the heat was definitely more than my anniversary RKC, but not really as bad as I expected after reading many of the posts on this site.  And I have had it out in the Texas heat in traffic.  I just installed the Kurakyn heat shields that sit just above the motor on each side, and I along with my wife can definitely tell a difference with the shields installed.  Some may not like the looks, but I think it's the best $50 I've spent on the bike.  Hope this helps.

Panther.
Before the motor replacement I had the heat shields as well, but I got rid of them cause it felt like they just absorbed the heat and applied directly to my leg. Course since the new motor, no heat problems  :2vrolijk_21:

blowncobra

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE Blue
    • CVO2: 2018 CVO Street Glide Orange Lava
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 05:07:53 PM »

230 degrees never hurts a harley :nixweiss:  My springer has stock air filter V&H staggered big shots with O2 sensors connected, an oil cooler and amsoil synthetic,  here in Florida on a 98 degree day in stop and go traffic it runs 220 +/- . At road speeds 190-210. Runs great, crisp response, cold start up good, pipes are tanish brown, no pre-ignition. I ride with alot of guys that get nervous at 200 and really uptight when they see 210 degrees, heck at 210 things are getting pretty clean and efficient. The feedback fuel system works fine stock, overfueling to get cooler temps is asking for trouble with upper cylinder wear and fuel saturation of the crankcase.
But then again we all have our opinions and ideas? :2vrolijk_21:
THE WHOLE WORLD NEEDS A DRINK

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 05:19:58 PM »

230 degrees never hurts a harley :nixweiss:  My springer has stock air filter V&H staggered big shots with O2 sensors connected, an oil cooler and amsoil synthetic,  here in Florida on a 98 degree day in stop and go traffic it runs 220 +/- . At road speeds 190-210. Runs great, crisp response, cold start up good, pipes are tanish brown, no pre-ignition. I ride with alot of guys that get nervous at 200 and really uptight when they see 210 degrees, heck at 210 things are getting pretty clean and efficient. The feedback fuel system works fine stock, overfueling to get cooler temps is asking for trouble with upper cylinder wear and fuel saturation of the crankcase.

Well before I had the top end apart, I was seeing 260-270 on 90 degree days! That's too high for me. Maybe it was the leaky head gaskets, or maybe bad barrel, or both. I'm hoping the new top end and a proper tune will bring the heat back down! ;) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

BalDeagle

• FLHRSE3 Candy Cobalt with Pale Gold Leafing Graphics
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do it today, tomorrow may be too late......
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 05:59:25 PM »

Only other thing I would suggest would be to change the A/C. Let the baby breath and get rid of the intake sensor.

Nige
Don't leave it until tomorrow, do it today !

110 SERK FLHRSE3
Power Commander
Doherty PowerPacc + PowerVents + Mystfree
Vance & Hines Slip ons + V & H True Duals
Lots of other shiny bits!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 07:58:56 PM »

cobra,

You might want to 'splain to those folks that the oil needs to get hot enough to drive off all the moisture that collects in it, otherwise you have lots of acid floating around doing bad things to expensive parts.  In case they don't know, water boils at 212°F at sea level.

I remember back in the dark ages when cars came with relatively accurate and responsive gauges for things like coolant temp and oil pressure.  So few people understood proper operating parameters and normal tolerances that these gauges often lead to complaints (my temp gauge runs 190 and my buddies only runs 180, etc.).  Since customer education proved to be futile, we solved the problem by removing the numbers from the gauges and just showing a large "normal" band.  When this still didn't satisfy many folks, we took the next step and basically converted the gauges to pseudo idiot lights.  Still have gauges, they just don't move much.  The point of my rambling is that perhaps there is too much information being made available to a public that has no clue what it means, and we need to go back to the basic "idiot light" systems.  

A good "normal" operating temperature for a Twin Cam engine is going to be in the 220 - 240 range with the bike moving.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 20 queries.