Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: Bike goes back in  (Read 8293 times)

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: Bike goes back in
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2007, 03:38:29 PM »

an update on the rear cylinder woes,

Ok here is what they found.   The base gasket is not the issue, the head gasket is the issue even though the leak shows itself at the base of the rear cylinder.   The head gasket is not stopping the oil from going down the cylinder stud holes which is where the oil is going and then leaking out on the back side of the motor.  When they removed my rear head the oil went EVERYWHERE.   As well when they moved the cylinder the remaining oil came out there as well.   I have a nice pool of oil infront of the chrome trans cover.

Rear head will need to cleaned up, the combustion area had a lot of oil baked / burned in there leaving a wonderful crust.   I am going to try and get pictures tomorrow if at all possible.

Harley is replacing only the rear cylinder, and the dealer says I need new rings again.   The rings 22285-07 are on national back order  until Aug 31 and they will not pull them off the assembly line.   Luckily I found a set and had them red labeled to the dealer.   The ACR for the front cylinder, and the rear replacement cylinder are also being red labeled to the dealer.   

My front compression release is bad.   They have the parts necessary to rebuild the starter / pinion.

Hopefully everything gets here tomorrow and they can get it back together by the end of the day /fingers crossed.

Cranking compression was 230 with the rear ACR working it was 170

Ring gear was not damaged / marred at all.

If your getting a new rear cylinder I recommend that you quickly find rings.   

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2007, 03:44:52 PM »

an update on the rear cylinder woes,

Ok here is what they found.   The base gasket is not the issue, the head gasket is the issue even though the leak shows itself at the base of the rear cylinder.   The head gasket is not stopping the oil from going down the cylinder stud holes which is where the oil is going and then leaking out on the back side of the motor.  When they removed my rear head the oil went EVERYWHERE.   As well when they moved the cylinder the remaining oil came out there as well.   I have a nice pool of oil infront of the chrome trans cover.

Rear head will need to cleaned up, the combustion area had a lot of oil baked / burned in there leaving a wonderful crust.   I am going to try and get pictures tomorrow if at all possible.

Harley is replacing only the rear cylinder, and the dealer says I need new rings again.   The rings 22285-07 are on national back order  until Aug 31 and they will not pull them off the assembly line.   Luckily I found a set and had them red labeled to the dealer.   The ACR for the front cylinder, and the rear replacement cylinder are also being red labeled to the dealer.   

My front compression release is bad.   They have the parts necessary to rebuild the starter / pinion.

Hopefully everything gets here tomorrow and they can get it back together by the end of the day /fingers crossed.

Cranking compression was 230 with the rear ACR working it was 170

Ring gear was not damaged / marred at all.

If your getting a new rear cylinder I recommend that you quickly find rings.   

I quickly recommend that you take those cams you been hording and buy those 95" jugs and put together a bike that doesn't spend 1/2 it's time in the shop.
Get Rhino to tune it and sell the 110.
Unless your going the Hoist route any other botched fix is just another joke in the 110 comedy!

IMHO

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2007, 04:05:20 PM »

Hopefully the 4th time is a charm.   It is sad that it has become worse than a comedy.   More like going for a root canal.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

bobaroni

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 1999 Dyna LowRider
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2007, 05:04:33 PM »

Very disheartening to read about the ACR and oil leak issues. At 1100 miles I feel it's just a matter of time for my 110.
At least you guys help eliminate the element of surprise for the impending issues.
The service info should be very valuable.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2007, 07:40:04 PM »

some pictures for those that may not have seen the heads torn down.  Lots of burned oil on this head
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 07:41:57 PM by Unbalanced »

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2007, 07:42:41 PM »

Where my finger is, is where the oil was draining down through the stud hole.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2007, 07:43:34 PM »

Where the compression release is notice all the carbon / burned oil

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2007, 07:44:19 PM »

What the inside of the rockerboxes look like with the rockers in place laying there

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2007, 07:45:11 PM »

Where the compression release comes out of the front head on the backside.  Notice the little bit of burned sheathing on the compression release wires.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2007, 07:46:58 PM »

This is the oil that was behind the rear cylinder when I brought it in for the issue

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2007, 07:47:49 PM »

I think this is a better picture of the build up inside the chamber.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2007, 07:50:32 PM »

Where the compression release comes out of the front head on the backside.  Notice the little bit of burned sheathing on the compression release wires.

Does the burning oil have anything to do with the ACR wires and the failure of the ACR on your 110?

Thanks for the PICS, very helpful.

BTW, my dealer ordered the kit for mine and is holding it.  The part number is 17458-07 which includes piston, jug and rings.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2007, 07:50:54 PM »

Parts didn't make in today.  The rings did, but the rear replacement jugg and front ACR did not due to someone slacking at the dealership.  They are expected in tomorrow morning, so hopefully the whole weekend is not blown before I head Cupertino on Monday.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2007, 07:57:29 PM »

Does the burning oil have anything to do with the ACR wires and the failure of the ACR on your 110?

Thanks for the PICS, very helpful.

BTW, my dealer ordered the kit for mine and is holding it.  The part number is 17458-07 which includes piston, jug and rings.

Can't answer that as the rear is still working, the front is not and they have not taken that rockerbox off yet.   My dealer will not replace both cylinders even at my request as there are no issues other than the ACR not working.   I am really afraid the front looks like the rear, but they say Harley won't warranty it.   Thus when they take the front rockerbox off they will only remove the ACR and replace it and then I hope it will work.   The rear is firing, but the front is not.

The burn has nothing to do with what is inside it did not make it all the way through, but I have asked them to rewrap them with a 2nd layer to ensure the wires don't get melted.   Hopefully this will fix it and I can ride worry free for a while.   Seems to happen around 5000 to 6000 miles after each fix.   approx mileage for fixes were 5k, 10k, 16,8.   

First fix was original head gasket/base gasket.  2nd fix was new headgasket / base gasket / new rings / ball hone cylinders.   3rd fix is new rear jugg, new rings, new headgasket, and front ACR, and starter pinion assembly.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2007, 08:16:08 PM »

Can't answer that as the rear is still working, the front is not and they have not taken that rockerbox off yet.   My dealer will not replace both cylinders even at my request as there are no issues other than the ACR not working.   I am really afraid the front looks like the rear, but they say Harley won't warranty it.   Thus when they take the front rockerbox off they will only remove the ACR and replace it and then I hope it will work.   The rear is firing, but the front is not.

The burn has nothing to do with what is inside it did not make it all the way through, but I have asked them to rewrap them with a 2nd layer to ensure the wires don't get melted.   Hopefully this will fix it and I can ride worry free for a while.   Seems to happen around 5000 to 6000 miles after each fix.   approx mileage for fixes were 5k, 10k, 16,8.    First fix was original head gasket/base gasket.  2nd fix was new headgasket / base gasket / new rings / ball hone cylinders.   3rd fix is new rear jugg, new rings, new headgasket, and front ACR, and starter pinion assembly.

I am amazed by the consistency in mileage that causes the failure.  My leak was at 3800.  I think it was there earlier but I did not notice it.  Actually I brought it in for the tranny leak and they found the HG leak and said it caused both!
Any day on the bike is a good day.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 25 queries.