Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: HARLEY-DAVIDSON INTRODUCES THREE MOTORCYCLES  (Read 3782 times)

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
HARLEY-DAVIDSON INTRODUCES THREE MOTORCYCLES
« on: January 24, 2005, 11:45:15 AM »

HARLEY-DAVIDSON INTRODUCES THREE MOTORCYCLES

MILWAUKEE (January 24, 2005) - Harley-Davidson expands its model offerings with an all-new 2006 VRSCR Street Rod, a big bore 15th Anniversary Edition 2005 Fat Boy and dirt track-inspired 2005 Sportster 883R.
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

mfgreen

Re: HARLEY-DAVIDSON INTRODUCES THREE MOTORCYCLES
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 12:07:42 PM »

The 15th Anniversary Fat Boy

mfgreen

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2005, 12:10:36 PM »

The Sportster 883R

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2005, 01:25:15 PM »

Oh my goodness.  Had just finished reading the new product announcements when I logged on to see all the astonishing excitement as well.  It's just so exciting that, well, I nearly gasped in anticpatory glee.  Oh boy, a new V-Rod variant that looks like it's main claim to distinction is a less comfortable seat, an 883 variant that really doesn't vary much at all, and a Fatboy variant produced straight off of the marketing desk.  An entire panoply of distinctions without difference.

Then to really top things off you can look at the new product listings in the P&A section.  That cacaphony of joy reverberting from the amazing selection of new wheel weights, fireman badges, odd paint and other doo dads is almost more than one rider can stand.  I'm sure I'd almost wet myself before having completed scanning the items.....

Ok, so maybe I'm editorializing a little bit.  It was actually a set of product announcements that were about as boring as they could possibly be.  These guys really need to learn that it's time (and has been for awhile now) to stop patting themselves on the back and bring those hands back around in front for new and interesting work that might actually inspire someone.

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2005, 01:59:08 PM »

Agreed 2lane.......what a Ho-Hum release of new "custom" machines.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 02:01:01 PM by BLM777 »

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2005, 10:17:17 PM »

I'm with Twolane and BLM on this one.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 10:20:34 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2005, 11:23:30 PM »

I'm with Twolane and BLM on this one.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2005, 01:07:16 AM »

There's actually a part of me that wants to believe that the MoCo is up to something really big to throttle everybody else back down.

ICMCGeezer

• Grateful to Be Ridin' Clean
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2005, 04:43:09 PM »

I agree with the rest of the commentators, these "new" models are nothing special. But let's look at a few things:
1) The Motor Company rests on its laurels because it can; how many other manufacturers out there can attach a definitive history to their models, especially the Sportster re-introduced here...
2) Historically, the Motor Company has, either fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your point of view, maintained a conservative stance, for many years in the face of Indian's winning records on the track, as well as marketing itself as a product well-made, a vehicle of  longevity.
3) Even though our CVO's are, as has been said, gussied up bikes with a few protected parts, and may be viewed as just your basic bike with bells and whistles thrown on straight from the parts book, out there in the world, I can roll up at an event knowing that my bike will be, in all likelihood, the only one there. Or if I'm at a run where everyone knows one another, people can tell if I'm there by my bike, sort of a standout signature piece amidst the sea of other bikes. In addition, the limited production makes them desirable as the years go on. In sum, I'm real grateful I have my CVO bike, and wouldn't have it any other way...
Geezer

mfgreen

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2005, 05:01:42 PM »

I agree with the rest of the commentators, these "new" models are nothing special. But let's look at a few things:
1) The Motor Company rests on its laurels because it can; how many other manufacturers out there can attach a definitive history to their models, especially the Sportster re-introduced here...
2) Historically, the Motor Company has, either fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your point of view, maintained a conservative stance, for many years in the face of Indian's winning records on the track, as well as marketing itself as a product well-made, a vehicle of  longevity.
3) Even though our CVO's are, as has been said, gussied up bikes with a few protected parts, and may be viewed as just your basic bike with bells and whistles thrown on straight from the parts book, out there in the world, I can roll up at an event knowing that my bike will be, in all likelihood, the only one there. Or if I'm at a run where everyone knows one another, people can tell if I'm there by my bike, sort of a standout signature piece amidst the sea of other bikes. In addition, the limited production makes them desirable as the years go on. In sum, I'm real grateful I have my CVO bike, and wouldn't have it any other way...
Geezer

Welcome to the site ICMCGeezer,
Yeah, you are right ...let's look at a few things.  
1)The MoCo was almost out of business when screwed up by AMF then needed a bailout by the government for financial reasons and the inability to compete against any foreign bike including three British marks when that was popular for the government bailout...in addition they needed an unfair tax structure to keep them viable.
2) Conservative does not mean continuous production of the same product with improvements that are only made to benefit the bottom line and not the consumer.  Had Indian received the same bailout treatment there is a darn good chance that this recent foray to try to bring it back would never have happened much less the current owners whom have yet to produce a bike.
3) LA seems as if it would have its share of CVOs.  These bikes are everywhere.  Oversold and overpriced.  Just a shame that the MoCo is offering them as the best effort that they can do.  We all like the bikes for the most part.  We want more from the MoCo.  Just a better effort at manufacturing a higher quality more advanced bike.
Mike

ICMCGeezer

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2005, 07:22:19 PM »

Thanks for your input Mike!
I'm glad you said that yourself and most of the forum members like the bikes for the most part, just would rather see the Company produce something more advanced. Up until that point, during my reading of your reply, I asked myself, "then why does he have one?"

I've heard complaints also about the fact that the Company could be more on the ball with producing more technically advanced bikes (i.e., bigger inch motors, better suspension/brakes, etc.), and they probably should. But compared to what the bikes were and are, they've done a great job.

Overpriced? Yes. Oversold? I don't see CVO bikes all that often, and I live in four-season riding territory; there's runs/events almost every weekend in my area.

I guess that although product offerings could be better, and their corporat stance could be improved upon, this company is, in any case, far better than some other large American organizations that have royally screwed the American public; you pick your favorite company to hate; are they customer driven?
Geezer

mfgreen

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2005, 10:06:01 AM »

Thanks for your input Mike!
I'm glad you said that yourself and most of the forum members like the bikes for the most part, just would rather see the Company produce something more advanced. Up until that point, during my reading of your reply, I asked myself, "then why does he have one?"

I've heard complaints also about the fact that the Company could be more on the ball with producing more technically advanced bikes (i.e., bigger inch motors, better suspension/brakes, etc.), and they probably should. But compared to what the bikes were and are, they've done a great job.

Overpriced? Yes. Oversold? I don't see CVO bikes all that often, and I live in four-season riding territory; there's runs/events almost every weekend in my area.

I guess that although product offerings could be better, and their corporat stance could be improved upon, this company is, in any case, far better than some other large American organizations that have royally screwed the American public; you pick your favorite company to hate; are they customer driven?
Geezer

Geezer,
Here are the points that I am making about H-D.
Your first contention is compared to what bikes were and now are today.

Recall this that the Honda and all the other japanese manufacturers did not get into this business until the sixties in America.

The major British manufacturers which were oldschool as H-D is have for the most part gone by the wayside.

The German manufacturer, BMW, had a tremendous amount of prejudice against it for having been headquartered within an opponent's country for two world wars are currently manufacturing superior motorcycles in many areas of rideability.  For example, they have superior braking, better handling, more power per cubic inch, more aerodynamic fairings, and a lower price even when the import taxes are added to their bikes.

This is the comaprison that the MoCo is up against.  I really like Harleys.  None of those aforementioned companies have the established image for the bikes or the riders.  What I am saying is that in the course of business in the economic climate that we are on course with we have a national debt that is going to be paid through the devaluation of the dollar against other currencies and this will in turn increase the prices of the products that the MoCo is manufacturing.  This will temporarily cause a severe decline in American sales of H-D to brands of lesser cost.  I just think it is a poor course for the company to take  to show another record quarter, rather than investing that  profit into capitalized equipment that would help the legend continue.

As a part of the automotive business in the USA, I think that H-D should garner the best that the rest of the industry has to offer and incorporate that more current thinking into their thinking and approach to the market.

Mike

ICMCGeezer

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2005, 02:01:46 PM »

Dear Mike:
Thanks for your reply; I appreciate your rhetorical stance, your argument is sound. I agree with you, especially the BMW citation. There are some outstanding motorcycles in the market, and it would make sense for the Company to make capital improvements in order to  offer state of the art products.

I do hope that the company adopts a stance of enjoying the status it has within the international motorcycling marketplace, but balancing it out with serious inroads into continuous quality improvement (CQI) practices.
Thanks again,
Geezer

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 04:37:26 PM »

Interesting thread. Nice to see nothing changes! ::)

And who's mfgreen and when did he get tossed? ??? :D

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 05:39:08 PM »

Interesting thread. Nice to see nothing changes! ::)

And who's mfgreen and when did he get tossed? ??? :D

Hoist! 8)
Man you digging deep in the archives again. :o ::) Not everyone that shows up as guest gets tossed some leave on their own free will.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 20 queries.