Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aquafina is tap water  (Read 2622 times)

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
Aquafina is tap water
« on: July 27, 2007, 12:36:12 PM »

Well now it looks like Pepsi is going to go ahead and label Aquafina as tap water.

Amazing, we bitch about gas and pay something like $10 gallon for tap water in a bottle that literally has no regulation on bottling it.

Truth about bottled water
Thursday, May 03, 2007By Jeff Alexanderjalexander@muskegonchronicle.com

By Jeff Alexander

jalexander@muskegonchronicle.com

A glowing orange sun rises above snow-capped peaks on the label of Aquafina, America's best-selling bottled water and one that claims to be "pure water" with a "perfect taste."

The label doesn't mention that the Aquafina sold in Michigan comes from the city of Detroit's water system.

"Yuck," said Muskegon Community College student Sara Tibbe, who said she didn't know Aquafina was Detroit water. "I don't like the taste of Aquafina as well as the Nestle water."

That might be because Nestle's Pure Life and Ice Mountain products in Michigan are groundwater pumped from wells and natural springs in the Muskegon River watershed.

Before it bottles Detroit water, Aquafina goes through a seven-step treatment process, beyond the treatment the Detroit water department conducts, a company official said.

Detroit gets its water from the Detroit River and Lake Huron. The American Water Works Association last year rated Detroit's water the best-tasting municipal water in Michigan.

Aquafina is one of several products that is bottled city water: The Dasani sold in Michigan is also Detroit city water; and the Propel sold in Michigan is flavored water from municipal water systems in Indianapolis and New Jersey, company officials said.

Corporate watchdogs and environmentalists are pressuring water bottling companies to disclose the source of their water.

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
Re: Aquafina is tap water
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 04:55:19 PM »

Just think of all the $$$ they have made, damn it...and I've been using it to water my grass.  :nixweiss:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 09:22:43 PM »

Either 60 Minutes or Dateline ran a story on this years ago, and the source of more than one bottled water turned out to be the Detroit municipal water supply.  It was bad enough that most bottled water was just filtered municipal water, but they also exposed a few that claimed to be spring water.  Fortunately, Detroit's water these days isn't half bad.  When I was a kid the river actually caught fire one summer due to all the junk industry was dumping.  

It's pretty sad when you think about it, people paying $10 a gallon for city water (who was it who said "There's a sucker born every minute"?).  Tap a filter system into your home water supply and you can make all the "bottled water" you want for pennies. Of course, the homemade stuff won't have the same snob appeal as the fancy names.  Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that many in our society seem to take pride in overpaying for things?  They seem to think it somehow makes them "cool" when they basically piss away money for nothing.  I suggest that all such people just send their excess cash to me, and I'll send them a fancy certificate declaring them to be "cool".

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 01:07:36 PM »

Coke makes more $$$ off  bottled water than all the Coke products combined....  we will fall for anything  drink up

2006_CVO_HD

• 2008 FLHTCUSE-3
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE-3/White Frost & Silver Mist
    • www.harleydavidsonbikers.com
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 03:10:20 PM »

Now we know the rest of the story......  ???
LIFE BEGINS WHEN YOU GET ONE!!!!!!

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 01:39:36 PM »

:beerchug:

BayouBiker

• Patriot Guard - HOG - ABATE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Cherry Jester 110"
    • CVO2: '99 FXDWG 96"
    • CVO3: 'BSR'
    • photos by Tiki Tom
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 08:04:57 PM »

well as long as my Jack Daniels is still made with pure spring water!!  :huepfenjump3:

"The Jack Daniel Distillery – the oldest registered distillery in the U.S. – is where it all happens. It’s where Mr. Jack first crafted the recipe for Old No. 7. It’s where the pure, iron-free cave spring water flows."
Live - Love - Ride
         :-*

Guardian Angels are everywhere! When they don't have wings, I call them friends.

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 08:28:12 PM »

Now we know the rest of the story......  ???

I'm not sure we'll ever know the rest of the story. We didn't find out about Indiana approving the increase of amonia being dumped into lake Michigan by BP till it was too late to stop! That should make a good tasting bottled water.

Roy....

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 20 queries.