Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: So I go to replace my rear tire today.  (Read 4692 times)

speedy

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 CVO Fatboy
Re: So I go to replace my rear tire today.
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2007, 01:00:21 AM »

Check this belt out! My first time at the drags on the new bike.
It was replaced under warranty, no questions asked.
Did a lot of racing on the old bike with the wider belt and no problems, but not the new supposedly stronger narrow belt.
Has anyone else had this problem?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 01:02:42 AM by speedy »

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2007, 05:00:38 AM »

$600 is much less than being ----- Oh lets just say 3500 miles from home - have to stay in a hotel for 3-4 days, rent a truck and trailer bike home - oh lets just say 3500 miles ------ truck uses waaaaay more gas than a bike does, what does that cost?  Oh ------ something like about $2000. 

$600 sounds a lot better now, doesn't it.

If it were me, and my bike, I'd replace it.  Have had quite a few friends break their belts, and like someone before me said, none of them happened in the driveway. 

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2007, 01:15:05 PM »

Replace it now and you won't have to worry later.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2007, 04:44:49 PM »

Replace it, the price your being quoted is fair. Its about 3-4 hours labor + parts

barkleydog

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2007, 05:49:20 AM »

Mine did the same thing... I did not wait, as they said better safe than sorry, I also found the stone had chipped the inner primary cover as well. Prolly not a big problem as it was just the fin around the drive pulley, but that seemed a good time for the Chrome innie anyway. Be sure they check that too...

David

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2007, 07:13:54 AM »

Well I took the bike to TWO dealers and they both looked at it and told me it was okay to ride, as long as I keep an eye on it. One guy told me he would love to take my money, but I really didn't need to change it out just yet. I asked one guy about going with the thinner belt so I could run a fatter tire, and he said not to. He said that the thinner belt means less area. He said if I had the thinner belt now, he would recommend changing the belt. But the older and fatter belts were tough and the width meant they had a lot of area in them. Both of them related similar stories about running belts with holes in them for years and never having problems. So I'll continue to keep an eye on it. If it starts fraying or shredding, I change it out. It's not a big deal to check on it since I check my tire pressure quite frequently.

I know this sounds cynical, but I do believe that if my bike breaks down on the road, it will be due to another stator failure, or my Zippers ECM taking a dump.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2007, 07:36:24 AM »

Well I took the bike to TWO dealers and they both looked at it and told me it was okay to ride, as long as I keep an eye on it. One guy told me he would love to take my money, but I really didn't need to change it out just yet. I asked one guy about going with the thinner belt so I could run a fatter tire, and he said not to. He said that the thinner belt means less area. He said if I had the thinner belt now, he would recommend changing the belt. But the older and fatter belts were tough and the width meant they had a lot of area in them. Both of them related similar stories about running belts with holes in them for years and never having problems. So I'll continue to keep an eye on it. If it starts fraying or shredding, I change it out. It's not a big deal to check on it since I check my tire pressure quite frequently.

I know this sounds cynical, but I do believe that if my bike breaks down on the road, it will be due to another stator failure, or my Zippers ECM taking a dump.

Mark

I Wish you lots of Luck  :confused5:

jeffj

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2007, 09:38:56 AM »

I had a similar expierience last year. I went to change out my tire for some new rubber before my trip to MV and they found a rock imbedded in the belt.So I decided to change it out with the chrome inner to be safe seeing I was travelling some miles in the coming weeks. My .02  Later,Q
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 20 queries.