Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steering Neck  (Read 2573 times)

REGGAB

Steering Neck
« on: July 28, 2007, 11:57:07 PM »

I've been noticing what I thought was fork oil running down the outside of my left cowbell, onto the left fork, and eventually a drop on the floor.  Turns out it isn't fork oil.  It's liquefied grease from the steering neck.  I use the Harley grease......the brown stuff.........called for in the SM.  That stuff seems to liquefy way too easy.  When I pulled my grease gun out of my tool chest, there was a puddle of liquefied grease under the gun.  I'm contemplating switching to a more durable grease that doesn't break down as easy as the Harley grease.  AMSOIL makes some great synthetic grease products such as Heavy Duty, Multi-Purpose, Water Resistant, and Series 2000 Racing greases.  The SM calls for "Special Purpose Grease" Part No. 99857-97.  I have two questions:  1)  Which of the AMSOIL greases should I use for my steering neck?  2)  Is it necessary to disassemble the steering head and clean out all the old grease, or can I simply purge the old grease using the new grease without having a grease compatibility problem?  Thanks.

Henry

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: Steering Neck
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 01:47:29 AM »

I've been noticing what I thought was fork oil running down the outside of my left cowbell, onto the left fork, and eventually a drop on the floor.  Turns out it isn't fork oil.  It's liquefied grease from the steering neck.  I use the Harley grease......the brown stuff.........called for in the SM.  That stuff seems to liquefy way too easy.  When I pulled my grease gun out of my tool chest, there was a puddle of liquefied grease under the gun.  I'm contemplating switching to a more durable grease that doesn't break down as easy as the Harley grease.  AMSOIL makes some great synthetic grease products such as Heavy Duty, Multi-Purpose, Water Resistant, and Series 2000 Racing greases.  The SM calls for "Special Purpose Grease" Part No. 99857-97.  I have two questions:  1)  Which of the AMSOIL greases should I use for my steering neck?  2)  Is it necessary to disassemble the steering head and clean out all the old grease, or can I simply purge the old grease using the new grease without having a grease compatibility problem?  Thanks.

Henry

Henry...the grease I picked up at the dealer for the neck bearings is blue in color and so far has not got the "runs".  Regarding incompatibility, if you pump the grease in there until the new color shows, that will be fine.  Did it all the time when greasing big electric motors, air handling equipment, and cooling tower fan bearings.  Any good waterproof grease should do the trick.  Grease used for boat trailer bearings is a good choice...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 04:46:03 AM »

I haven't noticed this problem before...because of issues are we now looking for problems where there aren't any.  I'm with Reggab, pump it in until it comes out and it should fine.

REGGAB

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 08:18:40 AM »

Henry...the grease I picked up at the dealer for the neck bearings is blue in color and so far has not got the "runs".  Regarding incompatibility, if you pump the grease in there until the new color shows, that will be fine.  Did it all the time when greasing big electric motors, air handling equipment, and cooling tower fan bearings.  Any good waterproof grease should do the trick.  Grease used for boat trailer bearings is a good choice...

Thanks Terry.  Had that blue stuff in my old Ultra, and like it MUCH better.  Was told that HD changed the color of the special purpose grease by the fine folks  ;) at H-D of Dothan, when I went there to replenish about a year and a half ago.  Picked up the same stuff at Rocket City about a month ago....and after it sits in the heat, it is just as runny as sewing machine oil.  The blue stuff never did that.  OK then.  Looks like I'm gonna choose the best AMSOIL grease there is, and prep for a huge mess. 

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 02:25:54 PM »

it is just as runny as sewing machine oil 
Henry, Henry... :oops:   :oops:   :oops:   :oops:

REGGAB

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 04:08:55 PM »

Henry, Henry... :oops:   :oops:   :oops:   :oops:

Yessir, Yessir???  :nixweiss:   :nixweiss:   :nixweiss:   :nixweiss:

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 08:17:19 PM »

Way to funny.   :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

charlie

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 07:21:50 PM »

I have the same thing happening on mine, the dealer Say's it's just from over shooting the grease in the neck, not a problem.

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 20 queries.