Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Brakes - Yikes! Is it ME?  (Read 7643 times)

RPOZ51

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE - Abyss Blue
Brakes - Yikes! Is it ME?
« on: August 08, 2007, 08:54:20 AM »

I got my 07 FXSTSSE this past spring.  Up to now, I've only been puttering around town.  I took it out on the highway for the first time this weekend.  There were a couple of situations where I had to brake for red lights from speeds of around 50 mph (Jersey).   It felt like the bike ate up a lot of braking distance.

Is it me, or does this bike need more stopping power?

In one situation, I felt like I was not going to come to a stop until I was in the intersection, so I rolled back onto the throttle.

By the way --> my only point of comparison is my bone stock 03 Softail Standard.  It may only be my imagination, but I had the feeling that my Standard would have stopped in those situations.

_________

Edit:  Changed: "06 FXSTSSE . . . " to read: "07 FXSTSSE . . ."  Duh!!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 10:21:35 PM by RPOZ51 »

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE Canyon Copper - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom
Re: Brakes - Yikes! Is it ME?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 11:02:15 AM »

I have no answer for your question.....

but, 2 things....

first, nice choice of bike! :bananarock:
second, nice choice of car!  :2vrolijk_21:

I'm also known as RPOZ4Z on corvetteforum!

you don't live far from me, I'm just outside Atlantic City, we need to ride sometime!

you going to Carlisle at the end of the month?
2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 11:32:31 AM »

I got my 06 FXSTSSE this past spring.  Up to now, I've only been puttering around town.  I took it out on the highway for the first time this weekend.  There were a couple of situations where I had to brake for red lights from speeds of around 50 mph (Jersey).   It felt like the bike ate up a lot of braking distance.

Is it me, or does this bike need more stopping power?

In one situation, I felt like I was not going to come to a stop until I was in the intersection, so I rolled back onto the throttle.

By the way --> my only point of comparison is my bone stock 03 Softail Standard.  It may only be my imagination, but I had the feeling that my Standard would have stopped in those situations.

Stock HD brakes SUCK!!  I would recommend that you at least change front and rear pads out to Lyndall Z pads...that will be a big improvement in and of itself.  If you want to go the extra step, I would recommend different calipers AND the pads.  Performance Machine, Hawg Halters, Brembo.  They are all CHROME too!!  PM's will bolt right up to the existing brackets.  Better calipers and a change in pads will make a dramatic difference.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 11:34:26 AM »

I wouldn't surprised if the SE Springer doesn't have the stopping power of your 03 Softail Standard. Correct me if I am wrong, but the SE Springer has a single-piston caliper type front brake which seems to be kind of ancient compared to today's technology for brakes, but remains in place for appearance reasons? I don't know what the answer is. Here is an optional front brake I ran across recently while looking for a better front brake solution for the SE Springer: http://www.jeris-springer.com/caliper.html

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 11:41:35 AM »

I looked at PM's brake options and they don't list any products for 2007 or 2008 Springers, here's what they list on their website:

4 Piston Billet Caliper & Bracket - 1988-1999 HD Springers

FXSTS Springer Softail FXSTSB Bad Boy Springer Softail 125X4S CALIPER AND BRACKET FOR 11.5" DISCS
Right Side Calipers  Retail Order 11.5" disc
or use stock 11.5" disc.
Polished 1217-0017-P $429.95
Chrome 1217-0017-CH $489.95

4 Piston Billet Caliper & Bracket - 2000-2006 HD Springers

125X4S CALIPER AND BRACKET FOR 11.5" DISCS
Right Side Calipers  Retail   
Polished 1230-0017-P $429.95
Chrome 1230-0017-CH $489.95

« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 01:18:32 PM by Guilty »

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 11:54:30 AM »

Call Phil at HogPro...he'll know what is available for those models, if anything.

If all else fails, at least do the Lyndall Z pads if they offer them.  That will be a tremendous help.

TTS Mastertune

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 01:20:25 PM »

TCnBham...Thanks for the contact at HogPro! I'll be giving him a call since I figured that I would have to change out the brakes when I get my SE Springer.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 02:25:26 PM »

TCnBham...Thanks for the contact at HogPro! I'll be giving him a call since I figured that I would have to change out the brakes when I get my SE Springer.

Very, very good people to do business with.  100% satisfied with my experience at HogPro, and particularly with Phil's great customer service.  Top notch company!!!  They ride, and aren't just salesmen.

TTS Mastertune

RPOZ51

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 06:53:43 PM »

I have no answer for your question.....

but, 2 things....

first, nice choice of bike! :bananarock:
second, nice choice of car!  :2vrolijk_21:

I'm also known as RPOZ4Z on corvetteforum!

you don't live far from me, I'm just outside Atlantic City, we need to ride sometime!

you going to Carlisle at the end of the month?

We share more than that.  Isn't your name also Tom?  You have the '98 Pace Car, right?   :D

I've met you at a few events.  I think the last time was at Carlisle.  I'm with the CFNE Wolfpack.  I think I met you with EG.  I'll be at Carlisle this year.  Probably near the ECS tent, or gabbing with the Kerbeck guys.

Small world.  Isn't it?   :2vrolijk_21:

RPOZ51

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 06:57:38 PM »

Stock HD brakes SUCK!!  I would recommend that you at least change front and rear pads out to Lyndall Z pads...that will be a big improvement in and of itself.  If you want to go the extra step, I would recommend different calipers AND the pads.  Performance Machine, Hawg Halters, Brembo.  They are all CHROME too!!  PM's will bolt right up to the existing brackets.  Better calipers and a change in pads will make a dramatic difference.

Okay.  So it's not just me.  I feel better now, but I had better get on with taking care of this.

Thanks for the info!!  I'll check it out.   :2vrolijk_21:

I wouldn't surprised if the SE Springer doesn't have the stopping power of your 03 Softail Standard. Correct me if I am wrong, but the SE Springer has a single-piston caliper type front brake which seems to be kind of ancient compared to today's technology for brakes, but remains in place for appearance reasons? I don't know what the answer is. Here is an optional front brake I ran across recently while looking for a better front brake solution for the SE Springer: http://www.jeris-springer.com/caliper.html

Yes.  You are absolutely right.  One piston.  I think my FXST has two pistons in the front.  Thanks for your help.

This is a great forum.

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 08:25:46 PM »

We share more than that.  Isn't your name also Tom?  You have the '98 Pace Car, right?   :D

I've met you at a few events.  I think the last time was at Carlisle.  I'm with the CFNE Wolfpack.  I think I met you with EG.  I'll be at Carlisle this year.  Probably near the ECS tent, or gabbing with the Kerbeck guys.

Small world.  Isn't it?   :2vrolijk_21:

yup and yup!

we have met a few times, I'll be at Carlisle on Friday, staying until Sunday, we will definetly talk! :2vrolijk_21:

RPOZ51

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 10:33:55 PM »

yup and yup!

we have met a few times, I'll be at Carlisle on Friday, staying until Sunday, we will definetly talk! :2vrolijk_21:

I'll be there.  I am staying with Ed Mowton's group near Harrisburg through Sunday. 

We are heading for PA early Friday morning.  On the way there, I am taking a few former riders on a detour to York, to visit the HD assembly plant - including the CVO!!  We may also stop by the York dealership. 

You are welcome to join us.

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 11:47:50 PM »

what time are you planning to get to york?

I'm picking up my friend in Ephrata friday morning, I plan on being at his house by 10:00am, we could meet you guys somewhere?

screaminfx

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2007, 12:38:45 PM »

You're correct, the brakes are pretty weak. I upgraded to a set of PM four pistons in the front (total bolt on operation) and a set of PM's on the rear as well. The result was pronounced if not dramatic, the bottomline is, I wouldn't ride the thing without making some sort of modification to the system.

RPOZ51

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2007, 03:16:33 PM »

what time are you planning to get to york?

I'm picking up my friend in Ephrata friday morning, I plan on being at his house by 10:00am, we could meet you guys somewhere?

We don't have an exact plan for York just yet. I'll probably put up a thread in the CFNE next week.

There are 3 or 4 of us who talked about leaving from the GWB/North Jersey area around 5:30 or so. It should take us around 3 1/2 hours to get to York - figure 9 AM.

We'll be taking 80 to 287 to 78 into Harrisburg, and I-83 south from there.

Let me know what works for you.

I PM'ed you with my numbers.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 24 queries.