Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: B model?  (Read 2446 times)

Too many experts!

B model?
« on: August 09, 2007, 10:47:06 PM »

Did I just read correctly that the SERK has a 'B' model engine? That is one with balancers? I thought the 'B' was only used in the Softail.......???? The Dynas and Touring bikes use the 'A' model don't they? ('A' meaning rubber mounted and without balancers). I sure hope that review was incorrect about this....

ThatsmyRK

StreetDog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE RED STREET GLIDE
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHXSE SPICED RUM
    • CVO3: 2007 FLHRSE3 RAZOR RED
Re: B model?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 11:40:46 PM »

Welcome to the site...I too read that in a review on the new 08's.....Whoever wrote that review must have stuffed too many fumes while on the test ride ! The touring bikes have the "A" motor. Or least my 07 SERK has one. Maybe the Motor Co. made a mistake and put the wrong motor in mine????? :confused5:

Too many experts!

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 05:43:33 AM »

Well, I sure hope that was a mistake in the writing.

I'm having second thoughts now with this purchase... :-\  I read plenty of gripes about the 110 and I certainly don't relish any idea of going through a hassle with a new machine. I'm trying to rationalize what these gripes really mean and trying to put them in prospective. How often do we see or hear of a 110 problem child? It would break my friggin heart to cancel the deal. :nervous:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 08:39:00 AM »

I'm having second thoughts now with this purchase... :-\  I read plenty of gripes about the 110 and I certainly don't relish any idea of going through a hassle with a new machine. I'm trying to rationalize what these gripes really mean and trying to put them in prospective. How often do we see or hear of a 110 problem child? It would break my friggin heart to cancel the deal. :nervous:

Don't let that skeer you off. First off, this place has some of the most passionate people around regarding their bikes. We know more about the idiosyncrasies of the CVO's than most anywhere else.We tend to tear into things and uncover issues that HD doesn't even know they have. We tend to be much more critical than you'll find anywhere else too. By uncovering these things makes it easier to deal with issues with your dealer and HD. I don't think you'll find more problems with the 110 than other engines. You just hear about everything here! We learn what they are and are spearheading dealing with them.

I gotta tell you, my '07 SERK is the best RK I've ever owned. And it's my 5th RK since '95! You won't find a better riding bike. Yeah, I put a buncha $$$ into it. But I wanted it the way I wanted it. And fixed some of HD's messes in the process. But what you learn here, will only help stay ahead of any issues that might arise, and help deal with them. The 110 is a great motor, if setup properly! Good Luck!

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Too many experts!

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 12:45:33 PM »

Thanks all! And thanks Hoist for the focus, makes sense...

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 01:31:46 PM »

You definitely have the A motor.  Whatever you read was wrong, wrong, wrong.

Having said that, and concerning the 110's in general, based on the information gathered here on the site, the very least I personally would do is to have exhaust, a K&N 0800 air cleaner, and some kind of basic tune done to make the motor run cooler.  This at least would reduce the chances of you having problems because of the excessive heat the motor is generating in stock form.  Whether a tuning device is available for an 08 when you take delivery is another question at this point in time, but a SERT will soon be available, and a PCIIIUSB.

What you have to decide on a personal level is whether this bike is worth having, knowing up front that others have had problems, the predominant one being leaking (oil) head gaskets, and oil leaking out from the base of the cylinders in some cases.  Not pouring out, but just "weeping" a bit.  Hopefully, HD has corrected these problems on the 08's and you will be trouble free.  The chances of the bike taking a crap on you are extremely small, but there may be a problem with the leaks mentioned above.  It depends on whether you are willing to either spend the money out of pocket to fix the issue, as Hoist has done (though the warrantied items were provided by HD), or allow your dealer to repair the problem IF it occurs, and how much confidence you have in your dealer to take care of you in a timely manner.  Hopefully, you will be absolutely trouble free, but there are some problems with the 110 motor...at this point more of an inconvenience than necessarily a deal breaker.  Not enough 08's on the road yet to know if HD has corrected the problems some of the 07's are having.  It's a great bike, but you can't just uncrate it and ride without spending some more money to make a few mods to the bike to get it to run as it should.  I mean, you CAN just uncrate it and ride, but it will do so much better if you do otherwise.  We all do it, no matter the model year.

My 2 cents worth.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Too many experts!

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 07:16:48 AM »

That "uncrate it and ride it" would be so very pleasing... but probably not practical.

How about this HP loss with true duals? That IS recoverable with a SERT map isn't it? Looking at having a set of header pipes installed at the dealer before pick-up. So I guess he'll need to remap...? I understand that the '08 is equipt with a 'high flow' filter but crossover headers. So all or most of the exhaust goes out of the right side.

Thanks for the info....

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007, 11:48:16 AM »

That "uncrate it and ride it" would be so very pleasing... but probably not practical.

How about this HP loss with true duals? That IS recoverable with a SERT map isn't it? Looking at having a set of header pipes installed at the dealer before pick-up. So I guess he'll need to remap...? I understand that the '08 is equipt with a 'high flow' filter but crossover headers. So all or most of the exhaust goes out of the right side.

Thanks for the info....

If you like the looks of the true dual exhaust, go with it (I personally don't think a bagger looks right with a 2/1 pipe).  When they tune with the SERT, the bike will run cooler and perform better than stock, so you'll never know the difference.  The true duals lose a bit of TQ, but not HP.  Your butt dyno will not be able to tell the difference, and both numbers will be better than the stock set up.  Your bike comes with the high flow air cleaner and backplate assembly, but the paper filter is a POS and will disintergrate over time.  The K&N 0800 filter is washable and will last you a lifetime, plus it flows more air.  It only costs 50 bucks or so, and then no more worries.  Get the cleaner/oiler kit to go with the filter and you'll be set.

What brand of exhaust are you going to install?  Whatever it is, you'll need to have them tune the bike...the SERT has a "canned" map that will do fine for breaking the bike in, then have it tuned on the dyno after it's got 1K miles on it.

One other suggestion...IF your dealer will do so, have them change the oils to either Amsoil or Mobil 1 Vtwin.  Both are true synthetic oils and superior to the Syn3 from HD.  Some dealers will not do this, but if you service your own bike, just do it yourself.  The bike will run cooler and you will have less top end noise with either of these two oils.

TTS Mastertune

Too many experts!

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2007, 06:29:24 PM »

Just returned from the dealer... At this point in time, there is no SERT, PC, or any other fuel modifying device for the '08's because the ECM is a different animal altogether - a different system. They will not install any pipes, mufflers, breathers until they can modify the AFR to compensate. That's right out the mouth of the business managers' mouth of a multi dealership that is in the process of outfitting a new Digital Technicians for the new bikes... The CVO's especially will need to remain stock for now.

I bought the Reinhardt dual system for this SERK and the K&N breather assy' but these folks recommend NOT installing either at this time - so I bought myself a $3500.00 'gift card' to cover these items until such time that we are cut loose to make the changes. I'll just have to ride the stock configuration for a few months - aw shucks- punishment!

I was planning on going to AMSOIL at the first change - which I do myself.

This may have been a BIG mistake....but the bike is mine - just finalized the paperwork. Minor set back - I hope.

Thanks

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2007, 06:33:54 PM »

Just returned from the dealer... At this point in time, there is no SERT, PC, or any other fuel modifying device for the '08's because the ECM is a different animal altogether - a different system. They will not install any pipes, mufflers, breathers until they can modify the AFR to compensate. That's right out the mouth of the business managers' mouth of a multi dealership that is in the process of outfitting a new Digital Technicians for the new bikes... The CVO's especially will need to remain stock for now.

I bought the Reinhardt dual system for this SERK and the K&N breather assy' but these folks recommend NOT installing either at this time - so I bought myself a $3500.00 'gift card' to cover these items until such time that we are cut loose to make the changes. I'll just have to ride the stock configuration for a few months - aw shucks- punishment!

I was planning on going to AMSOIL at the first change - which I do myself.

This may have been a BIG mistake....but the bike is mine - just finalized the paperwork. Minor set back - I hope.

Thanks

Sorry man! Right now it is a B Model. B for Bummer! How well does it run stock? Any cooler than the '07's described here? I wonder how long it will be before you can work with those bikes? :nixweiss: Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Too many experts!

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2007, 06:41:21 PM »

Correct you are - B for bummer. The bike is still so new, I cannot tell what it will do. It still has the new clackity-clack that Harleys have off the showroom floor. Not even 50 miles yet...

Too many experts!

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2007, 06:45:04 PM »

TCnBham,

Do you happen to know what the weight spec for SYN3 is? That may be a good reason to follow your advice on the oil - we are inclined to wholeheartedly agree...

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2007, 07:44:31 PM »

TCnBham,

Do you happen to know what the weight spec for SYN3 is? That may be a good reason to follow your advice on the oil - we are inclined to wholeheartedly agree...

The SYN3 is 20w50, but it's not a true syn...it's a blend.  A low bid blend at that.  Amsoil 20w50 or Mobil 1 Vtwin (it's 20w50 as well), would be the only oil I would run in the crankcase.  I run the Mobil 1 in both my SEUC and my SEVROD.  I also run the Mobil 1 5w30 in my Subaru Outback.

I used to run the same oil in all three holes, but at 10K (17K on bike now) I switched to Redline Heavy Duty Shockproof in the transmission, and Redline MTL in the primary.  I run the crankcase for 5K between changes.  The better products have no problem going 5K between changes.  K&N chrome oil filter, as the nut on the end makes changing them much easier, IMO.

It will not be long before either the SERT or PCIII is available, the aftermarket is scrambling right now to adapt to the ECU changes.  The 110's do run hot, but you are not the first here to run stock for a while prior to making mods to cool the motor off a bit.  Just try to avoid prolonged traffic situations, if possible.

TTS Mastertune

Too many experts!

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2007, 08:48:08 PM »

Thanks for the info...very appreciated!

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2007, 09:56:11 AM »

I do not understand why they will not let the motor breathe with your rineharts that does not not make a lot of sense since the narrow bands should be able to accomodate that change.   I would not go and change the breather out though as this will cause an over lean condition on an already lean motor.

If your not inclined to put on the true duals until the SERT / other is available you may consider taking off your heat shields around the rear cylinder and try putting on 1 wrap of muffler tape to help off set the heat then put the shields back on.

-harry
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 24 queries.