Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Tail Of the DRAGON  (Read 1986 times)

Gav

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 07- Jester
    • CVO2: 03-flhrci
Tail Of the DRAGON
« on: August 10, 2007, 10:58:38 AM »

For all those who are going to Knoxville

TENNESSEE SHUT-DOWN OF US 129

Well, the Late Great State of Tennessee has answered our open letter. Not in words but in actions. On Friday, Saturday and Sunday August 3-6, there were some 14 Tennessee Highway Patrol vehicles and a couple of Blount County Sheriffs cars blatantly harassing both motorcycles and cars on the 11 miles of the Dragon. They promise to be here for the next month. Talk about showing your ignorance. CLICK HERE to count the Troopers in this video filmed August 4, 2007

These actions prove Tennessee does not welcome visitors to this area. One Trooper pulled me over for no reason. I was on my motorcycle following three cars at the posted 30 mph speed limit and the Trooper signaled me to pull over onto the gravel. He gave my bike a once over and then signaled me to pull back out. Why did he let the cars pass and then stop me?

We heard worse stories. An older female vacationer from Minnesota in an SUV was pulled over in one of the straights and ticketed for 45 in a 30. She insisted she was not going that fast. A local Blount County family was showing their friend from out of state the Dragon. He was ticketed for 40 in a 30. A Georgia rider was pulled over and threatened with arrest when the Trooper insisted that he had crossed the double yellow at 30 mph. He was then harassed for having his face shield up even though he was wearing glasses. The Trooper said the rider HAD TO PROVE they were shatter proof. We heard of a number of non-DOT helmet tickets and saw many rider helmets being inspected buy THP. Traffic crept over the Dragon at 20 mph all day. Get a life Tennessee. Many visitors who were staying in Tennessee told us they would not return or spend any money in that state.

Some Emails

Rider ticketed for standing-up on pegs at 25 mph to stretch.
Car driver pulled over for "appearing to be traveling at high rate of speed". Car was behind a pick-up towing a boat at 25 mph. Trooper then said he had illegal tinted windshield and exhaust even though car was stock from factory and had passed emmission test in TN. Trooper then harassed driver for DRIVING WITH ONE HAND ON STEERING WHEEL. Driver asked how he was supposed to shift gears. Trooper then rudely said, "GET LOST".
Rider harassed and threatened with arrest for not having proof of shatterproof glasses.
Bikers ticketed for passing on the double yellow even when the car ahead pulled over and stopped. Troopers said the car had to be COMPLETELY OFF THE ROAD before moving around it.
Cars pulled over for 35 ... threatened with arrest .
Car ticketed when wheels accidentally went a few inches off the roadway.
Pick-up stopped and harassed for having tailgate down.
Cycle group tailgated for miles by THP which then passed on double-yellow with no emergency devices operating.
Pick-up truck tailgated by THP. Truck pulled over several times to let Trooper pass. Each time the Trooper pulled over just ahead and returned to tailgating truck when it passed.
Car came around blind corner only to see Trooper with car completely blocking lane. Trooper was out of car issuing tickets to bikers. Car stopped, saw it was clear ahead, and eased around. Car was then ticketed for crossing double yellow.
Ticket for failing to have proof of insurance.
Ticket for no mirrors.
Ticket for bike with license plate verticlal. Custom bike was purchased from a Knoxville Police Officer.
Cruiser pulled over doing 30 mph and asked for all documentation, blinkers/headlight and plate checked. Harrassed for no reason at all.
Trooper tailgating female motorcyclist who pulled off road she was so nervous. Her son was then tailgated until he had to pull over.
Trooper with stopped bike saw another bike almost crash when seeing the Trooper ..... Trooper laughed.
Out of state car ticketed for having temporary tag and no registration in spite of producing bill of sale. Registration had not yet been sent.
Trooper with car over double yellow on several occasions.
Troopers making U-turns in dangersous curves.

While these 14 Troopers were here:

Friday 11 am, Meigs TN, 45 miles from the Dragon - Two pick-ups collide, one driver dead
Saturday Morning, Bledsoe TN, 65 miles west of the Dragon – A motorcyclist was killed in a one vehicle accident.
Bottom line ….. Tennessee doesn’t want your tourism dollar. Answer ….. bring it to North Carolina. We have many roads that rival the Dragon. US 129 all the way through Robbinsville to US 19/74 has some great sections. The Hellbender NC28 is a real challenge. Continue to the east of US 19/74 on NC28 and get a real thrill. And all of these roads have a 55 mph speed limit, not a ridiculous 30 mph like the Dragon.

Ride the Cherohala Skyway. The speed limit is 45 in North Carolina, but that’s fast enough to get a thrill. In Tennessee the limit drops to 40 mph even though the road is easier. Ride the NC side.

You’ll have to obey the law in North Carolina, but there won’t be a storm trooper at every turn.

Now tell the Governor of Tennessee, other state officials, and Blount County Commissioners what you think. LET'S BE HEARD.

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/dragon_SHUTDOWN.html
this ain't your fathers geezer glide

d o g o l s

• 1K CVO Member
  • *** ride save and have fun***

• CVO1: blue Thunder FLHTCUSE-4
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE-2 black-orange-Jester
    • CVO3: 2008 FXDB black
    • Harley Fan
Re: Tail Of the DRAGON
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 01:17:56 PM »

:soapbox: that sucks    :soapbox:

lilbear

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '06 VRSCSE2 - Yellow & Silver
    • CVO2: '08 FLHRSE4 - Black & Silver
    • CVO3: '11 FLHXSE2 - Black & Orange
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 03:27:47 PM »

It was just a matter of time.  There's still plenty of great roads to ride and avoid the crowds anyway!  Hopefully, once things settle down a bit, it will get more back to normal with less of a crowd!?!

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 03:34:25 PM »

More info and photos in this thread :

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=15743.0

sfarson

• On a Ride
  • Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSE3

• CVO1: 2007 FLHRSE3
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 08:13:56 AM »

Glad I rode DG earlier this summer arriving around 8:00a to avoid the crowds, the mayhem, the unskilled riders.  Essentially an empty Dragon.

Seeing this kind of post at other forums.  Many are now avoiding the area.

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 04:27:53 PM »

BTDT= close it down and move on.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 05:03:32 PM »

BTDT= close it down and move on.
Hmmmm, glad that you have had the opportunity to ride it (so have I), but don't think it should be closed down. :confused5: Those that respectfully want to enjoy it should be allowed to w/o being harassed. The ones that are riding illegal, excessive speeding, reckless should be dealt with. JMHO.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007, 08:41:57 PM »

"Been there done that,

Close it down and move on."

Now that's a selfish position.

"I have my dragon sticker so the hell with everybody else, close it down."

Where's the love? Where's the sharing?

GEEEEZZZZ :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 09:29:44 PM »

In an effort to keep a good road secret, if you are seeking a simuler road in the area PM me and I will turn you on to one.  A 7 mile version of the Tail and unknown to most of the riders.  Spent some time there last weekend.

The good news for DP riders is at the end it keeps on going unpaved.  Dam Good Time.

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '05 SEEG/'06 CUSE/'07 SERK/'09 SERG (ALL SOLD)
    • CVO2: '09 CVO Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz (SOLD)
    • CVO3: '11.5 CVO Ultra Classic Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 05:36:06 AM »

What's the latest on The Dragon?  Has it settled down or can we expect the forces in force during the Club HOG event next week?

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2007, 09:04:12 AM »

What's the latest on The Dragon?  Has it settled down or can we expect the forces in force during the Club HOG event next week?

Phaze...this stepped up enforcement is supposed to continue well into September, and them knowing there is an event like this, you can bet your bike they will be there, and elsewhere as well.  But there's only so many to go around, and the concentrated effort will be in that area.  I'd be on my toes on the Foothills Parkway, then where it connects with 129 and on up to the Dragon.  With all the relatively new riders at the HOG event, be careful if you go there.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2007, 09:12:36 AM »

Phaze...this stepped up enforcement is supposed to continue well into September, and them knowing there is an event like this, you can bet your bike they will be there, and elsewhere as well.  But there's only so many to go around, and the concentrated effort will be in that area.  I'd be on my toes on the Foothills Parkway, then where it connects with 129 and on up to the Dragon.  With all the relatively new riders at the HOG event, be careful if you go there.

I'm more afeared of a traffic jam up there w/ all the H. D.s around. Line for fuel and trinkets will probably be a mile long in the middle. Probably be even more SNAFUed then normal.

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2007, 10:37:25 PM »

The Dragon is a great photo op.

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2007, 10:41:21 PM »

I'm sure that the killboy.com boys will be out clicking away.

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2007, 10:43:21 PM »

It may be hard getting into the Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort too, but it's another great photo op.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 24 queries.