Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where are the Maps for 2008 Bikes??  (Read 2056 times)

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
Where are the Maps for 2008 Bikes??
« on: August 19, 2007, 05:55:27 PM »

Here's one that I have not yet heard anything about yet.

I picked up my 2008 SEUC two weeks ago.  At purchase I had the V&H Big Shot duals and the SE A/C backplate installed before I ever rode the bike home.  In the service dept. they hooked the bike up to a computer to down load a map for the modifications.  After an hour or so of trying, they told me that the maps for the 08 bikes are not available yet.

The service tech told me that the bike seems to be just a little lean, but that the bike runs well enough to ride it until the map is available.  I rode the bike myself and agreed that it was not running bad enough to cause any problems.

I stopped by the dealer yesterday to pick up a few pieces of chrome that I ordered a week or so ago and ask the service manager if they have the maps for the 08 bikes yet.  The service manager told me that the MoCo is telling dealers (for now) that there will not be any maps to download for the 08 bikes.  The service manager said that the MoCo told him that if 08 owners do any modifications, they will have to purchase a SERT. IMO, this stinks!  The SERT will not be available until maybe September and it will most likely go on immediate back-order status when it is available.  This smells like a plan for the MoCo to make a lot more $money$.

Ok, my intent all along was to get the new map loaded to the ECM and then get a PC.  I figured that if I have a map that makes the bike run decent and then add a PC, I would always have the map to fall back on if something happens to the PC.

Like I said, the bike is not running terrible now, but I know that it could run better.  My biggest complaint is that the gas mileage really stinks as it is:  about 32 mpg.

If all this is true, I guess I am stuck waiting until DynoJet has a PC for the 08 bikes ------cause I ain't buying a SERT.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Where are the Maps for 2008 Bikes??
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 06:08:29 PM »

I picked up my 2008 SEUC two weeks ago.  At purchase I had the V&H Big Shot duals and the SE A/C backplate installed before I ever rode the bike home.  In the service dept. they hooked the bike up to a computer to down load a map for the modifications.  After an hour or so of trying, they told me that the maps for the 08 bikes are not available yet.

The service tech told me that the bike seems to be just a little lean, but that the bike runs well enough to ride it until the map is available.  I rode the bike myself and agreed that it was not running bad enough to cause any problems.

I stopped by the dealer yesterday to pick up a few pieces of chrome that I ordered a week or so ago and ask the service manager if they have the maps for the 08 bikes yet.  The service manager told me that the MoCo is telling dealers (for now) that there will not be any maps to download for the 08 bikes.  The service manager said that the MoCo told him that if 08 owners do any modifications, they will have to purchase a SERT. IMO, this stinks!  The SERT will not be available until maybe September and it will most likely go on immediate back-order status when it is available.  This smells like a plan for the MoCo to make a lot more $money$.

Ok, my intent all along was to get the new map loaded to the ECM and then get a PC.  I figured that if I have a map that makes the bike run decent and then add a PC, I would always have the map to fall back on if something happens to the PC.

Like I said, the bike is not running terrible now, but I know that it could run better.  My biggest complaint is that the gas mileage really stinks as it is:  about 32 mpg.

If all this is true, I guess I am stuck waiting until DynoJet has a PC for the 08 bikes ------cause I ain't buying a SERT.

Why are you surprised? This is nothing new. There are no downloads for '07 either. At least many ECM Mods are available for the '07's. We'll have to wait and see what these guys all come up with for '08's. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 08:01:39 PM »

I was told the a power commander for the 08 was about 6-9months out.  I'm going with the SERT and using it to tune the bike.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 08:14:40 PM »

Did this dealer just open for business?  The reason I ask is that the same situation existed for the '07 models.  The EPA won't allow the MoCo to bypass the emissions regulations like they used to do in the past with the "race" downloads.  Now you have to buy the SERT first, and then bypass the emissions regs.  What's the difference, you say?  Oh, about $300.  You need to remember who you're dealing with here, the MoCo and the U.S. Government.  Do I need to continue?

I received a reply from the PC folks a few days ago to my question about '08 availability.  This is the response I received:

We are working on the 08 model.  We will probably not have anything available for at least 2 months.  Thanks.

Dustin Schaller

Powersports Technical Support Manager

Dynojet Research

800-992-4993

www.dynojet.com

www.powercommander.com

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 08:22:05 PM »

Did this dealer just open for business?  The reason I ask is that the same situation existed for the '07 models.  The EPA won't allow the MoCo to bypass the emissions regulations like they used to do in the past with the "race" downloads.  Now you have to buy the SERT first, and then bypass the emissions regs.  What's the difference, you say?  Oh, about $300.  You need to remember who you're dealing with here, the MoCo and the U.S. Government.  Do I need to continue?

I received a reply from the PC folks a few days ago to my question about '08 availability.  This is the response I received:

We are working on the 08 model.  We will probably not have anything available for at least 2 months.  Thanks.

Dustin Schaller

Powersports Technical Support Manager

Dynojet Research

800-992-4993

www.dynojet.com

www.powercommander.com

GRC,

Thanks for the info on the Power Commander.  Looks like I will be waiting for awhile.

This is frustrating :sauer005:

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 08:50:58 PM »

LRebel...I'm not sure who your dealer is, but I would be very concerned about a couple of things here.  First, that they did not know that ECM flashes or downloads have not been available since the debut of the '07 model year, at least not for the 07 bikes.  Second, that they thought it was "OK" to put TD's on the bike and a higher flow backplate without doing something to the ECM to change the air/fuel ratio.  Though this lack of knowledge by the dealer doesn't necessarily surprise me, it would be cause for concern, at least for me.

If I remember correctly, when the 07's came out, there was no SERT available for a month or two either...the PCIIIUSB would work on it though, but there were no maps for the 110 motors developed until some weeks later.

What surprises me here is that your fuel mileage is so poor, unless you are really romping on the bike a lot, or running at high RPM's fairly consistantly.  The mileage you're getting is indicative of a slightly rich air/fuel mix, and not the lean condition one would expect with your current set up.

Most of us seem to be getting from 32, up to as much as low 40's depending on how we ride that tank of fuel.  The only time my bike drops to 32mpg is running two up, loaded, and 80+ mph.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 12:11:03 AM »

LRebel...I'm not sure who your dealer is, but I would be very concerned about a couple of things here.  First, that they did not know that ECM flashes or downloads have not been available since the debut of the '07 model year, at least not for the 07 bikes.  Second, that they thought it was "OK" to put TD's on the bike and a higher flow backplate without doing something to the ECM to change the air/fuel ratio.  Though this lack of knowledge by the dealer doesn't necessarily surprise me, it would be cause for concern, at least for me.

If I remember correctly, when the 07's came out, there was no SERT available for a month or two either...the PCIIIUSB would work on it though, but there were no maps for the 110 motors developed until some weeks later.

What surprises me here is that your fuel mileage is so poor, unless you are really romping on the bike a lot, or running at high RPM's fairly consistently.  The mileage you're getting is indicative of a slightly rich air/fuel mix, and not the lean condition one would expect with your current set up.

Most of us seem to be getting from 32, up to as much as low 40's depending on how we ride that tank of fuel.  The only time my bike drops to 32mpg is running two up, loaded, and 80+ mph.

I have been breaking the bike in, so I have not ran much over 3k rpm.  The mileage was checked on a short trip riding two up -- all highway and some turnpike at 75 - 80 mph.
Of course I can't tell at highway speed, but at idle the exhaust doesn't smell rich - and I agree, in that typically with td exhaust and the high flow A/C bikes will run lean (my 02 did until I added the PC and had it dyno tuned).  Like I have said before, I don't claim to be a mechanic, but the bike seems to be running pretty good...I was just expecting better gas mileage.  I think my 02 Ultra was getting 40 mph pretty regularly.
There are a couple of independent shops in OKC that have good reputations; I will be taking the bike to one of these shops for the PC and dyno tune as soon as the PCs are available for the 08 bikes.

I take the bike in Tuesday for the 1K service.  I am going to question them more while I am there.

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 08:45:41 AM »

There are no downloads for '07 either.

There aren't??  The latest J Version for the SERT has plenty of maps available for the 2007's.

The 2008's are gonna be an issue because the Fly-By-Wire system is a different setup than the previous TPS and Cruise Control is now integrated into the ECM so they'll have to make accomidations for that also....plus a few other minor changes probably.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 08:55:15 AM »

There aren't??  The latest J Version for the SERT has plenty of maps available for the 2007's.

The 2008's are gonna be an issue because the Fly-By-Wire system is a different setup than the previous TPS and Cruise Control is now integrated into the ECM so they'll have to make accomidations for that also....plus a few other minor changes probably.

FR8TRN,

Hoist was talking about dealer flashes, not SERT maps. In the good 'ol days, you'd pop on some parts and get a download from the dealer to reflash the ECM. Those days are gone for good, thanks to the EPA.

:indian_chief:

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 02:47:54 PM »

FR8TRN,

Hoist was talking about dealer flashes, not SERT maps. In the good 'ol days, you'd pop on some parts and get a download from the dealer to reflash the ECM. Those days are gone for good, thanks to the EPA.

:indian_chief:

He says they didn't have them for 2007 either, but they did, I had the dealer do their stuff on mine when they installed the Stage I 103"...now I just blew it away when I loaded the map from the SERT, but they did have it.

Rhino

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 07:09:20 PM »

What surprises me here is that your fuel mileage is so poor, unless you are really romping on the bike a lot, or running at high RPM's fairly consistantly.   The mileage you're getting is indicative of a slightly rich air/fuel mix, and not the lean condition one would expect with your current set up.

My immediate concern on the gas mileage, is that if you are really on the backside of the power curve, ie way past the peak egt to lean, the mileage will really be horrendous, and power will be down some too.   I think if you got the Sert, which is the only option soon, is the only way to cure it as is.  That dealer should have informed you that it was not a good idea to go changing stuff without a way to compensate the engine.

Unfortunately, the aftermarket, as usual, was hit upside the head by MOCO, by changing the wiring, the connectors, the location and the addition of flybywire throttle on the ECM.   PC, TMAX are working hard to figure it out. And it may be towards the beginning of 08 that they have it nailed. MOCO is not providing info to assist, otherwise they could be deemed accomplices in violating the almighty CARB and EPA regs. JMHO with facts sprinkled in.

hafbad0

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 07:22:53 PM »

I have been breaking the bike in, so I have not ran much over 3k rpm.  The mileage was checked on a short trip riding two up -- all highway and some turnpike at 75 - 80 mph.
Of course I can't tell at highway speed, but at idle the exhaust doesn't smell rich - and I agree, in that typically with td exhaust and the high flow A/C bikes will run lean (my 02 did until I added the PC and had it dyno tuned).  Like I have said before, I don't claim to be a mechanic, but the bike seems to be running pretty good...I was just expecting better gas mileage.  I think my 02 Ultra was getting 40 mph pretty regularly.
There are a couple of independent shops in OKC that have good reputations; I will be taking the bike to one of these shops for the PC and dyno tune as soon as the PCs are available for the 08 bikes.

I take the bike in Tuesday for the 1K service.  I am going to question them more while I am there.
LRebel, I purchased my 08 CUSE3 on 11 August and rode it 230 Miles back home.  I was told not to exceed 4000 rpm's for the first 500 miles and keep it under 5000 for the next 500 miles.  I drove 75 to 90 mph(six gear) on that first 230 miles and got about 33 mpg.  I installed a pair of D&D police interceptor slip-on over the weekend.  I was told by the dealership that the slip-on along would not lean it enough to make a different but, if I did the SC A/C I would need to have the ECM reflash.  I am hoping to get rid of some of the heat.  My wife complained on the very first ride that it was way hotter than the Road Glide (FLTRSEI).  She have not been on the bike since.  I am also waiting for the SERT to make it's arrival.   

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 08:40:01 PM »

He says they didn't have them for 2007 either, but they did, I had the dealer do their stuff on mine when they installed the Stage I 103"...now I just blew it away when I loaded the map from the SERT, but they did have it.

In '07 they had the street legal calibrations available on Digital Technician, but not the "race" calibrations.  All "race" (non-EPA legal) calibrations require the SERT for '07, and still haven't seen if there are going to be any even with the SERT for '08.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 10:34:14 PM »

I am hoping to get rid of some of the heat.  My wife complained on the very first ride that it was way hotter than the Road Glide (FLTRSEI).  She have not been on the bike since.  I am also waiting for the SERT to make it's arrival.   
[/quote]

hafbad,
Get yourself a digital dipstick so you can check your oil temp.  Mine is averaging around 225 degrees.  I didn't have the digital dipstick on my 02 Ultra, but it seems that the 08 SEUC is running cooler than the 02.

Page created in 0.279 seconds with 20 queries.