Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 110 using lots of oil and rapping  (Read 2837 times)

sedyna

• Ride it like you stole it
110 using lots of oil and rapping
« on: August 20, 2007, 04:42:22 PM »

I have an 07 SE Dyna with 3500 miles on it, with Vance and Hines short shots, sert, dyno time, and a heavy air breather... last week the motor started rapping hard after i accelerated the bike through second gear... the engine started rapping very loud... sound comming from the front jug... i immediately parked the bike, and the sound had gone away... it has been doing this intermittently, its loud.. i checked the oil yesterday and found it was down over a quart... i didn't think i would have to put oil in a new bike that has been recently serviced.. also the exhaust has started to smell like burnt oil, other riders have noticed, it puffs out the smoke too.. it doesn't seem down on power... the exhaust pipe for the front jug is all coated with a nasty oil silt... any ideas?? I'm scared-- its going to the dealer soon...

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
Re: 110 using lots of oil and rapping
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 04:46:09 PM »

Front head gasket? 
Any day on the bike is a good day.

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 05:18:35 PM »

Head gasket or rocker box leaking would be my guess.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

sedyna

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 05:51:06 PM »

yea, you think the headgasket it just leaking into the cylinder?? i just took it for another ride.. started knocking after i rode for 30 min... i looked at the outside of the jugs and heads carefully and didnt see any oil anywhere...

Rhino

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 08:03:16 PM »

FWIW,  I would park it NOW and have dealer pick it up ASAP for repair before you actually blow something up.  Don't tell the dealer you continued to ride either.
Rhino

sedyna

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 08:48:05 PM »

so i shouldnt try to sqeak the motor and try to get a new one with the black badges? i dunno if i trust the harley shop with my bike anymore... i dont want them to de-tune it either, or know if i want a new harley with a motor that is already messed up and has been torn apart..

Rhino

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 09:13:24 PM »

That's a tough one grasshopper, only you can make the correct decision, perhaps your trust of your current dealer has dissapeared due to another problem you did not speak of?  Otherwise, perhaps another dealer can help you make these choices.  It is the people in the shop/dealership that make it or break it, not the Dealer per se.  Interview the service manager and see if he comes around.  Sorry you are having a bit of trouble.  FWIW, opening up the motor is not a bad thing, especially if they fix it properly.  Harleys are made to play with, taking them apart should not interrupt your peace of mind.

Rhino

so i shouldnt try to sqeak the motor and try to get a new one with the black badges? i dunno if i trust the harley shop with my bike anymore... i dont want them to de-tune it either, or know if i want a new harley with a motor that is already messed up and has been torn apart..

TimBone

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 09:27:04 PM »

GO TO THE DEALER AND DON'T RIDE ANYMORE.
Let them give a diagnosis Brother and hopefully they are spot on.
If they aren't good, ride the heck out of it and get a new engine!!!

sedyna

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 09:32:34 PM »

to the dealer tomorow.. thanks guys..

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 11:23:24 AM »

to the dealer tomorow.. thanks guys..
How did you get on?

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 11:55:08 AM »

How did you get on?

He threw one leg over the saddle and started the bike... ;D :huepfenlol2: ;) ;)

Sorry...couldn't resist...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

sedyna

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 11:50:23 PM »

so the Harley shop told me my bike is ready already....i called them to see what they had found... guess what they give me, "its normal" speech.. i lost it with them... they treat me like a kid everytime i deal with them...he told me it is oil cooled and it is supposed to use oil...I am a boat mechanic, i went to MMI in Orlando.. the guy must think i don't know crap-- i walked out and checked the oil, and too my supprise they didn't even top off the oil.. I showed the dealer how it had been down a half a qt of oil, i topped it off sunday and i haven't ridden 100 miles... I wonder if the even did anything to it at this point.. I told them i was taking it directly to another dealer.. then he says let me keep the bike for another week and change the oil (Free of charge) and run it for a week, he said his best tech lives 40 miles away and will ride it home all week etc.... loooong story short i agreed. they cant get the bike to knock either, but he said they only rode it 5 miles... i am very disappointed with the service i have received from this place.. so he told me to take the bike and ride till sunday... they marked the oil dipstick to verify the oil level...then to make things even better, i was on my way home tonight and the clutch stoped working all togeater...nothing, i found the clutch line blew somewhere in the back, now there is oil all over my bike, i never thought a 30 thousand dollar bike would give me sooo many problems, i got the lemon of the batch, I love the bike itself but i am ready to trade it for a honda or something reliable.. I should have got an old shovelhead and threw a blower on it or something... im giving the dealer one more chance to get this thing right--

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 03:22:55 PM »

That sucks...I know it ain't right.  I just said F it and stared fixing the problems as they arose and paid for it too on my tc88 and on setting the 07 up before even riding it.  If it chites the bed, I'll just fix the effin thing. :soapbox:
It was better than getting arrested at the dealer when I wanted to choke the life out of the snide lil mudda-fudda there...Think of the bail and litigation costs...

You may have the rear cylinder o-ring issue with yours, My bro in law uses Sheldons down in Auburn Mass and he is one picky mutha.

I do keep mine about a pint low on oil to keep it from spewing oil from cc pressure. 
I try and give it a look at each wash and check for the silly crap that shouldn't be loose.

Sorry for your troubles, it is bitchin looking ride though. :drink:

Miker

sedyna

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007, 10:32:26 PM »

so i went to trade the dyna in for a street glide today....my bike with 2500mi with over 30 grand into it is only worth $19,000 at the dealer for a trade in!!!... i cant take a 11,000 dollar loss for a year of riding, its crazy :-\...cvo is just a name.. and it isnt worth much after you pull away from the showroom floor...you read about these 110s on here and they all sound crappy, way to many problems going on.. i want a normal motor with balls and reliability.. i feel like i just wasted 30 grand.... :oops:
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 10:48:09 PM by sedyna »

Rhino

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2007, 11:55:13 PM »

Don't let it get yu down, the economy kinda suks right now, bikes and cars and planes and trains everywhere at blowout prices... toys are not on the priority list. There is only one solution, keep one, and add one.  Fight the stealers, check around the country for what you want. There are some  smokin deals to be had, so take advantage, get one more, or keep what you have, and love it.  For 11K, insanity rules are in effect till further notice.

Rhino(ifyoudontthinkaboutititonlygetsbetter)

so i went to trade the dyna in for a street glide today....my bike with 2500mi with over 30 grand into it is only worth $19,000 at the dealer for a trade in!!!... i cant take a 11,000 dollar loss for a year of riding, its crazy :-\...cvo is just a name.. and it isnt worth much after you pull away from the showroom floor...you read about these 110s on here and they all sound crappy, way to many problems going on.. i want a normal motor with balls and reliability.. i feel like i just wasted 30 grand.... :oops:
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 25 queries.