Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FXR2 paint--Q. for FXR2evo99.  (Read 2284 times)

RedFXR2

FXR2 paint--Q. for FXR2evo99.
« on: August 22, 2007, 01:27:57 PM »

FXR2Evo99:  When you had your front fender successfully painted to match "arresting Red", did the painter mix his own paint or use the HD color codes to purchase a match?

[edit for future reference]  He mixed his own.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 03:45:41 PM by RedFXR2 »

fxr2trike

Re: FXR2 paint--Q. for FXR2evo99.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 03:12:01 PM »

Hi..anyway you can share the paint codes your painter used?  Just had some work done on my 99 FXR2 (converting to a trike) and painter just used a standard 'candy apple red' template so it does not match.  Keeping all the original parts from the bike so it can be 'converted' back to 2 wheeler but wanted to keep color as close to original as possible.

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 03:44:31 PM »

fxr2trike~~~ Hi..anyway you can share the paint codes your painter used?  Just had some work done on my 99 FXR2 (converting to a trike) and painter just used a standard 'candy apple red' template so it does not match.  Keeping all the original parts from the bike so it can be 'converted' back to 2 wheeler but wanted to keep color as close to original as possible.

Hey.....there weren't exactly any specific "paint codes" that were used at the time the painter matched the fender...and in no way will I be able to demonstrate in a photo how perfect he matched the paint....because he did.....but here is what I can share with you, I just got off the phone with him and basically this is what he said:
1st of all he used a "GOLD" base of which he applied the "CANDY" translusent "Red" Base coat over the "Gold".

I am highlighting the "GOLD" as most painters because of the "red" coloring will assume HD used a "SILVER" Base coat but that's not what HD used....so have your painter make sure he is working with a "Gold" Base.

If you would like, I can always provide the number of the painter that did my work and you could chat with him or better yet have your painter chat with him as just as in any profession these guys know the "lingo" and probably know what to ask one another....and since I just brought it up to him this afternoon he probably would be able to communicate a bit more about what he did.....

I just know he worked on the fender for 3 weeks while fitting it in to his other projects and it took him 7-8 tries before he got something perfect, at one point I went in to see what he had....and didn't like it....and he agreed so he then changed the base coat that he was trying to make work from Silver over to Gold.....and within a couple of coats he had it perfect......even though so much time has passed in between he would remember basically the steps he got there if he were to do it again in a much shorter time frame.

So that's really all I know.....but I can tell you this if I were to need any of the bike repainted for any reason except for the "hologram" of the tank decal I would let him paint the bike.....it was amazing to see how he matched it so well.

I am going to include a photo showing both fenders.....just to show you that it was actually done....lol but I don't expect you to be able to draw the slightest conclusion of the result....it's impossible on a camera....

Regards,

Tim

[NOTE: Please remember that putting your curser next to the paper clip icon below the photo will allow you to enlarge the photo plus save it to your computer if you desire OR if you merely wish to see it enlarged simply put your curser on the photo and "LEFT" click and it will enlarge]
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 03:52:25 PM by FXR2evo99 »

RedFXR2

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 07:45:23 PM »

Since this thread has spring back to life, and I have since had my "CVO side covers" made and painted to match "Arresting Red", I would add that my painter didn't use any HD paint codes, even though I brought him the two part HD touch up paint.  He simply matched it on his own and did a perfect job.  A good painter is indeed impressive.

CVO side cover thread:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=22379.0

« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 07:57:20 PM by RedFXR2 »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 06:05:18 PM »

Hi..anyway you can share the paint codes your painter used?  Just had some work done on my 99 FXR2 (converting to a trike) and painter just used a standard 'candy apple red' template so it does not match.  Keeping all the original parts from the bike so it can be 'converted' back to 2 wheeler but wanted to keep color as close to original as possible.

Hey there trike! Welcome aboard! Interesting project ya got going. Would love to see some pics of it! Good luck and enjoy this great site!!! :2vrolijk_21: :worthless: ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 24 queries.