Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Late Summer in South Park  (Read 3010 times)

sfarson

• On a Ride
  • Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSE3

• CVO1: 2007 FLHRSE3
Late Summer in South Park
« on: August 30, 2007, 01:29:22 AM »

Rode over Kenosha Pass today to the high 10,000ft. meadows of South Park.  It is ringed by above timberline peaks on three sides with solitary Pikes Peak anchoring the south.  Brought the camera, wanted to ride a newly paved county road, and check out a lonely place for lunch before heading back to work.

First stop is a pause along the meadows containing ranches of the Park.  The Mosquito Range is in the distance.  Ample rainfall this summer has given the pastures a carpet of green with a patchwork of wildflowers...

Those building clouds in the pic above would organize into serious storms in 60 minutes as I would personally find out :).  Looking the other direction, with admittedly the bike the focus :coolblue:...

The county road I'm riding passes through a landscape of old homesteads, ranches, meadows, and national forest.  Not a whole lot has changed over the decades. 

Hardy homesteaders tried to make a go of it here and elsewhere along this road, but the loneliness wasn't for everyone.  Winters here are a challenge, but stunningly beautiful.  It was only ten years ago or so when private phone lines became available.  Until then eight party phone lines were the norm... 

Pausing at a stream.  Brook trout thrive in these waters and will put up a fight when on a hook.  Many rock formations frame the road.

Looking down the road towards where the lunch place is.  The county did a nice job.  This is a sublime H-D ride...

And you were expecting a rustic, charming place?  Ha!  Have never been here before but have passed many times.  It is called The Stagestop, named after such a nearby stop when different horses from that of Milwaukee would deliver travelers.

Note the snowmobile to the right.  Talking with owner Joe, he brought it here from Alaska when he lived in the bush.  His job was representing the Social Security Administration to the Eskimos.  Told me of a time when a bull moose stomped the crap out of it once when he surprised it on a trail.  Anyway, Joe served up an outstanding steak sandwich while I sat on the porch.

The plan was to explore more, but those building clouds had me hustling back to home... but to no avail.  Was hammered by those big cold raindrops.  Ahh memories.  Wouldn't have changed a thing with this late summer ride in the Park.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Late Summer in South Park
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 01:34:02 AM »

Thanks again sfarson! And as usual, anothother outstanding ride report. You're lucky to live in such a beautiful riding area! Great stuff man! Thanks so much for sharing! :2vrolijk_21:

BTW, how's the SERK doing these days?

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 03:31:21 AM »

Thanks for sharing  :2vrolijk_21:

Very nice pics !

Jacques
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 07:05:45 AM »

Beautiful pictures and excellent quality as well. H-D could use those in their brochures.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 07:10:58 AM »

Awesome pictures thanks for sharing. As GC mentioned those would be great pics for the MoCo to use to advertise a SERK or the travel bureau of Co. to promote tourism.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 07:13:09 AM by Fired00d »
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

lilbear

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '06 VRSCSE2 - Yellow & Silver
    • CVO2: '08 FLHRSE4 - Black & Silver
    • CVO3: '11 FLHXSE2 - Black & Orange
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 08:52:30 AM »

Sfarfson,

Awesome pictures!  I'm making one of those shots the desktop on my pc.  Those shots really move the soul!  After seeing those shots, who in their right mind wouldn't want a "black ice" SERK and tour the beautiful state of CO?  Thanks again for sharing the photos.

sfarson

• On a Ride
  • Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSE3

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 10:05:20 AM »

Hey thanks everyone.  It was a fine ride.  And the moisture on the way home added to the experience.  Forgot to note those clouds developed enough to cause the NWS to issue a flash flood watch for the area later in the afternoon.

Hoist... Have read problem reports about the 110" or the FLHRSE3, but have no issues to report.  It has been perfect.  Finest H-D I've ever owned.  And I ride the thing hard, from year round riding, including bone cold winter scoots, a nasty one mile of dirt and rock to the nearest pavement, and the delights of chasing squids in the curves.  There's just something about going fast on a "slow" bike.  :)... though my floorboards don't like it.  Mods are a slightly higher smoked wind screen and Supertrapp mufflers.  The FI adjusted well to the these exhaust cans. 

ak

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 10:20:06 AM »

MY South Park Photo Hidie-Hoe--------AK
,04seeg,s 09 roadglide,09 ultra

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 10:27:12 AM »

Hey thanks everyone.  It was a fine ride.  And the moisture on the way home added to the experience.  Forgot to note those clouds developed enough to cause the NWS to issue a flash flood watch for the area later in the afternoon.

Hoist... Have read problem reports about the 110" or the FLHRSE3, but have no issues to report.  It has been perfect.  Finest H-D I've ever owned.  And I ride the thing hard, from year round riding, including bone cold winter scoots, a nasty one mile of dirt and rock to the nearest pavement, and the delights of chasing squids in the curves.  There's just something about going fast on a "slow" bike.  :)... though my floorboards don't like it.  Mods are a slightly higher smoked wind screen and Supertrapp mufflers.  The FI adjusted well to the these exhaust cans. 

That's really great to hear! I hope it continues to provide you trouble-free service. You're one of the lucky ones! And keep them awesome ride reports and pics coming! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 11:46:38 AM »

Great pics guys, great scenery for riding. Glad to hear your bike is doing so well, I knew there had to be some out there.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 11:51:04 AM »

Hey AK, I see your location is Sunnyvale, I went to grade school there Cherry Chase. Lived on Jamestown dr.

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 09:16:28 PM »

sfarson
those are great shots. I like how you parked on the white line each time , and looked like a big drop off to the shoulder. Sure would like to ride out there with you sometime.  :2vrolijk_21:

Dave
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

sfarson

• On a Ride
  • Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSE3

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 03:03:23 AM »

AK... Looks like you paused at my glamourous county seat... Fairplay!  And spent some time at South Park City.

sfarson

• On a Ride
  • Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSE3

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 03:07:29 AM »

sfarson
those are great shots. I like how you parked on the white line each time , and looked like a big drop off to the shoulder. Sure would like to ride out there with you sometime.  :2vrolijk_21:

Dave

Thanks everyone.  The CVO's are quite photogenic.  And Dave... interesting observation!  Parking as I did isn't without its risks.  Several years ago I parked a bike with a fairing just as I did here, but the day was windy.  As I was getting the camera out of the bag, standing 30-40 feet away I heard a sickening crash as the bike blew over in the wind.  Nooooooooooo!  Now I'm very careful about this. 

ak

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2007, 09:01:09 AM »

AK... Looks like you paused at my glamourous county seat... Fairplay!  And spent some time at South Park City.
  Sfaron- Photo Taken last years CVO Cripple Creek Get together, Bertram Planed a great events Pikes peek, Mt. Evans, the gorges etc, Will make it to CO. again------Can,t wait for next years run--AK
,04seeg,s 09 roadglide,09 ultra
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 21 queries.