Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rinehart True Duals Decel Popping  (Read 5450 times)

UltraClassy

Rinehart True Duals Decel Popping
« on: September 01, 2007, 07:45:09 PM »

I put True Duals on my FLHTCUSE2 with a (Technoresearch) Direct Link Race Tuner, but so far have not been able to get rid of the backfiring on deceleration.  It's been to a custom bike shop and to Orlando Harley, but it seems that even their dyno "Guru" hasn't had much experience with dyno-tuning this particular combination.  Orlando Harley said they've gotten it the best they can, but it's still running lean, the dyno numbers are disappointing, but I would gladly live with humble hp/torque numbers to get rid of the popping.  Any suggestions?

beerman

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Rinehart True Duals Decel Popping
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 07:49:04 PM »

Recheck all Exhaust connections to assure they are properly fitted. Appy a little never seize as well . check Pipe / Head and Header / muffler both.
the Guru needs to add fuel to the "zero" level whatever that may be called on your system.
I cured the problem with a HD RaceFueler by dialing up the low speed and mid range settings about 15%
MPG dropped from 43 to 40
I can live with that however
-Beerman
2008 FLHX, 1997 FLSTS, 1982 BMW R65

candybrandy-rk

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 08:39:33 PM »

Just what Beerman said-check all exhaust connections and use Ultra Copper high temp sealant where mufflers connect to head pipes.
Good luck!
2002 candy brandywine.power commander III.arlen ness big sucker.thunder cones

deucedog

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 10:05:21 PM »

Good advice so far - be sure to carefully check for cracks in your header pipes.  Heat shields need to be removed for inspection.  Reinhart will replace the part under warranty if cracked or split.  Are you hearing any hissing or chuffing at start-up or shut down?  If so, you may be leaking somewhere...

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 03:42:13 AM »

:jack: Just had to...Duece that is one BEAUTIFUL mastiff you have there...my favorite type of dawg.

Seegarz :2vrolijk_21:

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

UltraClassy

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 09:21:30 AM »

Already had the headers checked for leaks, it doesn't seem to be the pipes themselves.  I would like to find out more about this particular race tuner, Orlando HD is just starting to use the Direct Link, my bike is the first 110ci they've tried dynoing with it with and can't get it right.  I heard someone mention earlier in a posting about someone in Clermont, FL (Jim Brown?)  but the posting kinda dead-ended there.  I've been referred to him also, but I'd like to know if anyone has used this race tuner with this motor and the Rinehart pipes.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 09:24:33 AM by UltraClassy »

deucedog

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 09:53:24 AM »

:jack: Just had to...Duece that is one BEAUTIFUL mastiff you have there...my favorite type of dawg.

Seegarz :2vrolijk_21:

Thank you.  We have 5 Old English Mastiffs.  We lost the girl in the upper right corner to cancer back in March.  Here's the whole gang, Mom, Dad, 3 baby boys we kept from our little of 10 puppies last year (they weigh about 200 lbs. now and are 17 month old):

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 10:42:58 AM »

That's quite a herd you have there. Mrs Rooster keeps me in check or I would have way more than 2 in our household. I just want to bring em all home. :bananarock:

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007, 11:07:51 AM »

Already had the headers checked for leaks, it doesn't seem to be the pipes themselves.  I would like to find out more about this particular race tuner, Orlando HD is just starting to use the Direct Link, my bike is the first 110ci they've tried dynoing with it with and can't get it right.  I heard someone mention earlier in a posting about someone in Clermont, FL (Jim Brown?)  but the posting kinda dead-ended there.  I've been referred to him also, but I'd like to know if anyone has used this race tuner with this motor and the Rinehart pipes.

I don't know how close you are to Dothan, Alabama, but there is an Indy shop there called Cripple Creek that uses Direct Link.  The owner is a member here (rednectum, aka Dennis).  You might give him a call.  Also JET http://www.johnsonenginetechnology.com/index.html   They tune a lot of bikes, but are in the Northeastern area....they might have a canned MAP for your set up, if they've had the opportunity to do a 110.  They have maps for the 103's but I don't know how close that would get you, as we have different cams, etc.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Rhino

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2007, 01:45:46 PM »

Hello Classy,

Although I am not familiar with the Techno DL, it looks like it should give a good interface, and allow the Harley ECM to be tuned properly.  And Jum, over at Braggin Rights in Clermont, may not be familiar with the unit, but I do not know. 

Brian over at Scooters, in Sanford is a good tuner, their dyno has a electric brake, so it can tune under differing loads.  He may be familiar, he is also a good computer person.

Both these fellows and shops are easy going.  Sanford HD has a new dyno, but Jim, the experienced one, is leaving, or has already left them.

You may want to PM Unbalanced, he is a computer guru, and has bveen to virtually every shop around, and may also know who is currently doing TR's.  Hope this helps, your neighbor,

Rhino

I put True Duals on my FLHTCUSE2 with a (Technoresearch) Direct Link Race Tuner, but so far have not been able to get rid of the backfiring on deceleration.  It's been to a custom bike shop and to Orlando Harley, but it seems that even their dyno "Guru" hasn't had much experience with dyno-tuning this particular combination.  Orlando Harley said they've gotten it the best they can, but it's still running lean, the dyno numbers are disappointing, but I would gladly live with humble hp/torque numbers to get rid of the popping.  Any suggestions?

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2007, 08:38:34 PM »

why live with poor performance just to get rid of popping. maybe i think backward, but wouldnt you rather have the performance you paid for? reversion is inherent withthose pipes and you may get afterburn popping, but no reason to trade performance/ drivability. on some builds, and most bikes with true duals, decel popping is a charateristic just like loss of low and mid torque. we can still tune the bike.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2007, 10:43:25 PM »

Try talking with Jim Brown at www.braggingrightsmobiledyno.com   

He tunes with Race Tuner, Power Commander, Direct Link, Thundermax

He has tuned many of my bikes with Rineharts and I have no issues with Decel Popping.   Did Nick at Orlando do the tune on your bike or did you get him involved?

-harry
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 10:45:21 PM by Unbalanced »
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2007, 07:32:26 AM »

ultraclassy, sorry i missed you were in orlando. there is another excellent tuner at your doorsteps. sent you a PM.

this dude is good, i will be getting a seminar from him this winter.

UltraClassy

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2007, 01:50:42 PM »

Thanks for the response from you all.  I've given Nick from Orlando HD 3 tries on the dyno with only fair results on the numbers (80.8hp/101.6 torque) and although he say it ran better on the test ride I went on a 110 mile test ride Saturday and I have to say I'm ready to get a vanity plate saying "popcorn".  It's not running as smooth as it has in the past and even stalled while I was idling at a stop sign.  I do have an appointment with Jim Brown next Saturday, hope he has more know-how because I think Nick has just been tweaking things.  Nick even wrote on the work order that he's gotten it the best he can, and admits this is the first 110 motor he's tried tuning with the Direct Link.  Rednecktum, I agree I shouldn't have to compromise the performance I paid for, and I could tolerate a moderate amount of popping, but this is excessive.  Thanks for anymore input, I've been riding for 30 years but this is my 1st fuel injected bike, a little different than just rejetting the carb, still learning.

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 24 queries.