Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 49

Author Topic: Cybil, My New ‘07A FLHRSE3TQ  (Read 81838 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Cybil, My New ‘07A FLHRSE3TQ
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2007, 09:36:45 AM »

Life with the 110 sure ain't what I expected! :nixweiss: We believe it's the bottom after meeting with my SM yesterday. I got 75 miles into my trip and then BANG! BAP, BAP, BAP... I pulled in the clutch in immediately and drifted to the shoulder. Bike cranks but is dead. It was towed to the nearest dealer. I made a deal with a tow outfit to get us and the bike home. $260 later! He thinks I need a new motor. He's sending someone this morning to pick it up. We're troubleshooting, testing and taking it apart tomorrow morning. The rear head gasket blew out in the explosion and I find myself with a new project on my hands. More to follow after I know more!

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2007, 09:38:50 AM »

has the W******* word been discussed yet?
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2007, 09:58:14 AM »

has the W******* word been discussed yet?

Absolutely. I'm expecting a new motor if the bottom end blew.

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

BUBBLEHEAD

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2021 FLTRXSE CVO Road Glide Bronze Armor
« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2007, 10:27:03 AM »

Nice bike!! Hope you get it up again soon. Just curious though, part of the "look" of the SERK is that it is lowered.
With the susp. upgrades do you think that raising the bike is necessary? Seems like the traxxion/bit combo would keep the suspension from collapsing and give substantial benefit while still allowing for the "look"?

BUBBLEHEAD

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2021 FLTRXSE CVO Road Glide Bronze Armor
« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2007, 11:31:23 AM »

Also did you are has anyone installed the billet crank? :cucumber:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2007, 02:31:51 PM »

Nice bike!! Hope you get it up again soon. Just curious though, part of the "look" of the SERK is that it is lowered.
With the susp. upgrades do you think that raising the bike is necessary? Seems like the traxxion/bit combo would keep the suspension from collapsing and give substantial benefit while still allowing for the "look"?

You can barely see an inch. The inch gives you more lean angle for harder cornering before scraping things. I tried to get the most from the bike, without destroying the look, which I did. I'm extremely happy with that mod. The engine, now that's a whole different story. But I'll have a real good story to tell in a few months! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2007, 04:08:50 PM »

Hoist

Best of luck in the tear down. Many in the 110 brotherhood are watching in disbelief. I reading your post it looks like your whole build was top side. Hope your SM continues to work with you on the big W side of this and a new motor is on the way. As meticulous as you were on this build trying to make it bullet proof, it cause the rest of us to give pause.

Again wishing the best for you. Glad your ok. The rest is $$$$.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2007, 04:26:05 PM »

Stuck on the phone at the moment with someone unable to occupy enough of my attention to keep me from typing here.  Can therefore pass along some hopefully very good news.

Talked to Howie little less than an hour ago and it seems the SERK isn't as bad as fears might have had it.  Will of course leave all the details to him but it's very hopeful now that the bike will be running again in relatively short order and with relatively minimal expense.  Not for the current road trip unfortunately.  But shortly thereafter if all goes well.

The man will, however, likely have a few choice and entertaining things to say about the current status of HD product engineering, design, development and application  ::) .

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2007, 04:40:57 PM »

Thank you Don, you make a great straight man! ;D

OK gang, listen up. Lesson Number One: Never jump the gun on determining a problem! Use due process to determine what happened before claiming what happened. I must apologize if my apparent motor failure scared people away from what was done to improve this bike. My motor did not fail! Do I have your attention and curiosity now?

More HD junk broke on the bike. The entire motor is fine. It was broken in beautifully. The combustion chamber, pistons and cylinders look beautiful. No valve failure or any failure except for one. More HD junk.

What HD junk you ask. Another automatic compression release failure. Your engine does not run with the stock ECM with the ACR's disconnected. Because of the marvelous design of our ACR system on the 110's, we've been having nothing but problems with the ACR's. Over the course of the last 8 months, the wiring harness, which lays on top of the head and under the rocker boxes in the center of the head, eventually fried the wiring harness to the rear ACR! When it finally burnt all the way thru, it caused the wire to short out, instantly killing the engine. The instantaneous shutdown of the engine at 90 MPH, caused enough remaining fuel to detonate, and blew the ACR right out of the top of the head! Took all the threads out of the hole. Like a spark plug blowing out of the old Shovelheads. Explains failure of the cylinder leakdown test and compression test. There is no damage to anything but the ACR hole in the rear head.

How do we fix our ACR problems? We get rid of them, that's how. Like all the HD weak links that needed to be removed and replaced with stronger, better racing chit, the ACR's must go too. It's the stupidest design I've ever seen. They're completely inaccessible without removing a lot of stuff. They are tied into the ECM instead of the starter, yielding undue complications instead of keeping it simple. And the wiring is sitting in a frying pan, waiting to burn up at some point or another. MAKE SURE YOU CHECK YOUR ACR WIRING AT THE HEADS!!!

Well, it's a weak link. How do I get rid of them? The SERT allows you to turn off the ACR's. Well don't I need them? You should have CR's on big inch motors, even with stock compression. Who said they need to be automatic. Who said the need to be inaccessible. Another re-engineering of HD's crappy design is required here for reliability. I'll be welding the ACR holes closed and having Manual CR's installed into the heads. I'll drop a bare minimum base map in from the SERT I'll install, and program the ACR's off. This will allow the motor to run on the PC, while disabling the ACR's. I don't mind manual CR's. They're much more reliable anyway. I'll then ride back up to Joes to have the bike tuned with the SERT. If we wind up with a better tune from the PC, I'll retune the PC with the newly mapped ECM. If we get a great tune from the SERT, I'll remove the PC entirely.

It really sucks that more crappy HD chit ruined another vacation. I'll be able to salvage the best part of it, which is seeing my friends in HS! I'm not happy I won't have my bike, and that I lost the first 5 days in KY. But it is what it is. My motor's fine, we're fine, and I'll have made another improvement to the many issues we have with these 110's. The head gasket did not blow and held fine. There were absolutely no leaks. The oil was from blow-by from the breathers, which no one can stop. The breathers blow by. Period! Even with MistFree's. Don't waste your money on them.

To all that have been following this thread, I need you to know that the engineering and parts for this build were sound! The bike ran unbelievable until it shut off. Nothing to do with the build. The parts should be back next week, and I should be on the road by next weekend! With all the homework I did to eliminate the inferior items on this motor, I still missed one. And it bit me in the ass and I paid for it. But I found it, eliminated it, and fully expect this motor to hold together as designed and planned. I have full confidence in my designer and builder and only another HD weak link caused this. I feel great about that, and I'll take it over anything else I could have found.

Learn your bike. Learn your motor. Pay attention to everything you see and hear. Make inspections of things you don't even think need it. But I stand behind my build and am proud to say it held up to everything. I still believe I built it right and it will last and not leak. Now we're back to only time telling. Thanks for everyone's support throughout this trying time. I've been very upset the last few days. I feel absolutely great about my bike again. It will come back stronger than ever! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2007, 04:51:02 PM »

Great new Hoist

Glad your ok and the motor is good to go.  :bananarock:  Just one more thing learned and to be addressed when I get my SERT. Thanks for the update and info. There are so many issues to address on the 110's it is ridiculous. You still see no need for timkens?

Stay safe

JW

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2007, 04:52:39 PM »

great news. i gues you wont need a rental for oct then
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

BlueFlames

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 flhrse3 blue
« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2007, 05:13:45 PM »

Howie,

Great to hear it's not as bad as was feared!!!!  Sorry about the ruined vacation.

Take care and good luck with it.

Doug
"Chrome is like clevage.......too much is not enough"

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2007, 05:37:48 PM »

Thanks JW, Neal, and Doug! We learn everyday, and I learned another lesson. This motor needs help and I missed one. I took no for an answer the first time I asked if they can be removed. I refused to take no for an answer when I saw the potential for catastrophic failure due to these POS ACR's. So, out they come, like all the other cheapo junk in that motor! Cybil will be stronger than ever.

I still have concerns with the bottom, but have been doing more research. An excellent technical expert from this site has been bringing me up to speed on our bottom ends. It does not appear that things are as bad as they're made out to be. I'm still concerned about the cheapo pressed Chinese flywheels, but not as much about the Timkins. I by no means know enough about this to advise anyone on this, but will research it until I'm satisfied I know enough about them to determine whether I need to to anything else or not.

And yes Neal, hopefully I'll be showing up on Cybil, as originally planned.

BTW, one new improvement while repairing/upgrading the top end. The pistons were sent out with the heads. They are both getting Thermal Coated while I have them out. Should have done it the first time, but missed that too. Well, I didn't miss it this time. This will help the motor run even cooler and will help make it more efficient! ;)

Hoist! 8)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2007, 05:48:51 PM »

Howie, that's great news man.  So glad it wasn't as bad as feared.  May have seen my post in the HS topic that mine is in shop having both acr's replaced as we speak.

Got you down on the flight for tomorrow morning.  Will call you later on to determine place to meet.

Jerry

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2007, 05:52:45 PM »

Howie, that's great news man.  So glad it wasn't as bad as feared.  May have seen my post in the HS topic that mine is in shop having both acr's replaced as we speak.

Got you down on the flight for tomorrow morning.  Will call you later on to determine place to meet.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry! I just sent you a PM. When we figure that out, I have to coordinate that with Ken. I saw your issue with the ACR's. I chose to remove them instead and go manual. I hope they don't fail again. They can cause some real damage if their electrical connections shut down while running! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 49

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 20 queries.