Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SERT w/ stock pipes?  (Read 957 times)

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
SERT w/ stock pipes?
« on: September 06, 2007, 03:28:38 PM »

I'm thinking of trying a SERT, sticking with the stock mufflers, and just slightly modifying the A/C.  Drilling half inch holes on the underside of the plastic backing and putting a K&N filter in.  I guess with a dyno tune I should be able to alleviate the heat issue with the proper AFR.  Later if I want to change pipes and go with a Doherty Powerpacc, I can always retune it.  Just curious if anyone else has tried this or any opinions?  (hey nobody on this site has their own opinion do they?)  8)  I like to buy at retail &, and sell at garage sale rates.  I've done it all my life.   :bananarock:  -Retail& Steve
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
Re: SERT w/ stock pipes?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 03:37:52 PM »

All I can say is that I have a SERT that was dyno tuned with SE air cleaner and stock headpipes and mufflers and it runs and starts great cold or hot.  Heat is not an issue.  Hope this helps.

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 05:01:19 PM »

Thanks for the input, boatman.   -At least this is something I can look forward to doing to my new bike when it arrives.  I probably won't be able to get enough miles on it before the riding season is over to see if it's a leaker, but the '07 Ultra rental bike the shop gave me really made me appreciate a quiet exhaust.  I can actually enjoy the radio!  -Steve
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 03:40:53 AM »

that will work great, even in stock form, you will see big improvement after a tune. the factory fuel and timing tables are all over the place. you should get cooler engine, more power, and rid yourself of pinging. i woulnt worry with driling the holes in the backing plate though, just wait till you add the aftermarket air cleaner. (and fatcat pipe)!!

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 08:25:49 AM »

that will work great, even in stock form, you will see big improvement after a tune. the factory fuel and timing tables are all over the place. you should get cooler engine, more power, and rid yourself of pinging.

Mine originally had just a HD download added to the bike and it was still to lean.  The tuned SERT made the engine and me much happier (especially after I installed the 575 cams).

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 24 queries.