Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  All

Author Topic: Update 110" Replacement Motor Installed by Harley Davidson  (Read 18731 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Update 110" Replacement Motor Installed by Harley Davidson
« Reply #75 on: October 07, 2007, 12:55:13 PM »

Let's not forget that a rider in Kentucky was killed on an 07 SERK when it locked during the labor dayweekend last month.  According to others there, they heard the motor go and whell lock up on the highway.

Had missed that news.  So one of the 110s finally did kill a rider?  It's unfortunate and terribly sad of course.  But not in any way beyond belief or even expectation.  In fact it was only a matter of time. 

Going down the road at highway speeds on two wheels demands an expectation of manufacturing that both wheels will stay rolling.  The manufacturer's obligation is that both wheels will stay rolling.  At the end of the day we really don't ask for more than that.  Just don't kill us. 

Continuing to sell and not service a fleet of engines in motocycles with known problems is little different than pointing a pistol and cocking the hammer on a weapon with a known flawed trigger assembly.  Eventually one of them will go off.  A flawed engine in a bike makes that bike no longer a motorcycle.  A flawed engine in a bike makes that bike a weapon pointed squarely and knowingly by HD at HD's consumer.

Now, above and beyond everything else that Harley's attitudes and arrogance presage for us as riders, more than ridiculous things like bad paint they make owners almost fight to fix over a period of months and months (and months and months and months), more than obscene accessory pricing and embarassingly poor service sites they could care less about, more than too obviously just not giving a damn; now rather than either ground a selling effort for an engine fleet with a known problem or doing everything necessary to fix that problem they are actually willing to kill us.

And it's not like we didn't see it coming......

Don't mean to make light at all of what so many of the 06 guys went through.  But this is worse.  Bad paint would only make you sick to your stomach.  One of these 110s is going to kill someone.

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #76 on: October 07, 2007, 01:22:47 PM »

This is what I believe also, but that was until a member posted that his motor replaced two months ago is also leaking.  Wouldn't the purge stock and check for bad parts with an epidemic like this? Manufacturing is not a new thing is trhis country.  Think about how the chinese would handle this?  They would execute some executives.  In the US we give options and bonuses for saving money.

Let's not forget that a rider in Kentucky was killed on an 07 SERK when it locked during the labor dayweekend last month.  According to others there, they heard the motor go and whell lock up on the highway.

Is there anyway to confirm this? A newspaper article on the accident even if it does not mention the cause?

patbowdy

• CVO1: 07 screamin eagle ultra
« Reply #77 on: October 07, 2007, 02:24:30 PM »

Does someone have a confirmation on this, news article or police report?
Some days are magic, some days are tragic

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #78 on: October 07, 2007, 04:08:58 PM »

I did an internet search for known HD recalls and problems:

"Harley-Davidson is recalling 18,784 MY 2006-2007 XL1200L and 2007 XL1200N motorcycles. These motorcycles were built with a condition whereby the pant leg of some riders can have direct contact with the exhaust pipe. This condition could cause the pant leg to char or burn, which could lead to the possibility of injury to the rider. Dealers will add a new exhaust shield which provides additional coverage of the exhaust pipe. The recall began on July 12, 2007. 07V-296"

"Harley-Davidson is recalling 2,403 MY 2006 VRSCR motorcycles. Some motorcycles were built with a condition whereby the pant leg of some riders can have direct contact with the exhaust pipe. This condition could cause the pant leg to char or burn, which could lead to the possibility of injury to the rider. Dealers will add a new heat shield, p/n 66820-06, which provides additional coverage of the exhaust pipe. The recall began on July 12, 2007. 07V-303"

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #79 on: October 07, 2007, 05:33:35 PM »

Does someone have a confirmation on this, news article or police report?

I got the info from member bpalmersheim.  It was labor day weekend and the rider's friend lost a log.  Bpalmersheim knows these people.  I did a search and found the article, but I cannot find it right now. 
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #80 on: October 07, 2007, 05:58:49 PM »

I got the info from member bpalmersheim.  It was labor day weekend and the rider's friend lost a log.  Bpalmersheim knows these people.  I did a search and found the article, but I cannot find it right now. 

Just checked the logs publicly kept by the Kentucy state patrol and found only one motorcycle fatality listed covered as far back as the beginning of September.  It involved a Buell and is reported here: http://www.kentuckystatepolice.org/posts/press/2007/post11_pr10_02_07.htm

State patrol log is here: http://www.kentuckystatepolice.org/feed.xml

Can only assume that incidents not responded to by the State patrol would not be listed.

While normally I choose to be a stickler for information and data confirmation the general suggestion here still holds true though.  We know what happens when an engine locks up on a bike.  We also know that, even among our own small group here, there have been 110s who because of known to be recurrent failures have locked up.  Fortunately among our own group here the injuries have been minor here; so far.  That's only good fortune though.

Sooner or later repetitive engine failures within a fleet of engines on a motorcycle will kill someone.

patbowdy

• CVO1: 07 screamin eagle ultra
« Reply #81 on: October 07, 2007, 07:10:55 PM »

Thanks, TWOLANERIDER. I was just trying to position myself better when I confront them on Tuesday.
Some days are magic, some days are tragic

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #82 on: October 07, 2007, 07:49:46 PM »

While at the dealership yesterday afternoon, there were quite a few people talking about MoCo stopping the manufacturing of the 110 motors. Don't know if this was just a rumor flying around or based on fact but if it is true, I am glad to hear they are at least doing something.
Also some people said they knew of people that had been contacted about a class action suit. This is kinda sorta like my neighbors friends uncles dogs sisters owner said but news of the problems with the 110 has spread much farther than just CVO'ers now.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 07:55:28 PM by MJZ »

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #83 on: October 07, 2007, 08:01:41 PM »

Mark, We want to know how Elvis is coming along. Sorry for the thread hi-jack.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #84 on: October 07, 2007, 08:06:16 PM »

Mark, We want to know how Elvis is coming along. Sorry for the thread hi-jack.

I'm with H/B, tell us about Elvis

All that 110 stuff, kinda makes me glad those 00's, 01's, 02's, 03's, 04's, 05's and 06's are out there just waiting to be snatched up!

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #85 on: October 07, 2007, 08:08:18 PM »

While at the dealership yesterday afternoon, there were quite a few people talking about MoCo stopping the manufacturing of the 110 motors. Don't know if this was just a rumor flying around or based on fact but if it is true, I am glad to hear they are at least doing something.
Also some people said they knew of people that had been contacted about a class action suit. This is kinda sorta like my neighbors friends uncles dogs sisters owner said but news of the problems with the 110 has spread much farther than just CVO'ers now.

You mean we'll have a collectible on our hands? 
Any day on the bike is a good day.

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #86 on: October 07, 2007, 08:09:24 PM »

Well, I guess this could throw a monkey wrench into things.

I wonder what the outcome will be? Replacement motors for all? Total recall? Only replace those that have experienced problems?

This is another fine example of how powerful this site can be. Just today I found the "Elbow Grease" thread, a promotion that has not been offered by my dealer even though I mentioned that I thought I had heard of some discount. Just goes to show how great this place is.

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #87 on: October 07, 2007, 08:09:48 PM »

Well, I did snap a few pictures yesterday. Ever seen a naked picture of Elvis?

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #88 on: October 07, 2007, 08:11:52 PM »

He definitely has his pants down.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #89 on: October 07, 2007, 08:16:52 PM »

He definitely has his pants down.

OMG Mark

Please don't let BB see these pictures.
He will have a stroke!
What in the world are you having done to a bike that has everything?

:o :o :o :o

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  All

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 21 queries.