Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: New Way Of Fishing...  (Read 2715 times)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
New Way Of Fishing...
« on: September 11, 2007, 10:51:44 AM »

Check out the way these guys fish - "HOGGING" WEETOWN STYLE.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Spoiled!

• Elite CVO Member
Re: New Way Of Fishing...
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 11:38:08 AM »

I always wondered how they did that in WEETOWN!

Those boys have the muscles to pull those things out of the muck!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 11:56:59 AM »

Noodling always creeped me out.  Only a half dozen or so states make it specifically legal.  There's a dozen or so that make it specifically illegal. 

Still vividly remember watching an uncle do it when I was a kid.  Something just seems wrong about doing that to an old fish that's lived long enough to learn not to bite a fishing line and otherwise just wants to be left alone.  I like catching catfish.  I like diving.  Combining the two and sticking my arm down a catfish's throat just wouldn't be my thing.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 12:00:47 PM »

Don,
This is the first time I've ever seen something like this. So they actual dive down to where the catfish are and insert there arm into the mouth to bring it back up? How do they get there hand/arm in the catfish mouth?

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 12:09:58 PM »

I've got a cousin from Mississippi, and he's a true redneck! I rode down to visit this summer and he's gotten into grabbeling or noodling, or whatever you call it. He and his buds went to Greneda lake while the water levels were down really low. Most of the water was knee deep or so. The cypress stumps are hollow and that's where they catch the big fish. He described it to me. they pull a john boat full of beer through the water until they get to a stump. the stump is 4 feet or so out of the water. There's normally a hole at the bottom of the stump where the fish swims in and out of. One of them blocks the hole and the other guy drops into the stump from the top. The top of the stump may be 3' across but the bottom of the stump is 10' or so. They feel around until they feel the fish. The fish are spawning so they have a tendency to protect their eggs and they bite at their arms.

Not for me neither, well, except for the beer drinking part.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 12:11:15 PM »

Don,
This is the first time I've ever seen something like this. So they actual dive down to where the catfish are and insert there arm into the mouth to bring it back up? How do they get there hand/arm in the catfish mouth?

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Yeap, it's for real.  Those big catfish are pretty lazy.  Along holes in the sides of river banks or in depressions in the muddy bogs in the bottom.  Take a big breath.  Go feeling around in the often murky water.  And hope to hell a catfish is all you find.

When you find one you just reach out, double up your fist and start working it in there.  Don't ask how I know as much about the practice as I do.  Just take my word for that when someone asks a kid if he wants to try something it's a really good idea that the kid should actually know what the hell he is agreeing to.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 12:14:00 PM »

Yeap, it's for real.  Those big catfish are pretty lazy.  Along holes in the sides of river banks or in depressions in the muddy bogs in the bottom.  Take a big breath.  Go feeling around in the often murky water.  And hope to hell a catfish is all you find.

When you find one you just reach out, double up your fist and start working it in there.  Don't ask how I know as much about the practice as I do.  Just take my word for that when someone asks a kid if he wants to try something it's a really good idea that the kid should actually know what the hell he is agreeing to.
Hehehehehehe

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 12:14:15 PM »

I've got a cousin from Mississippi, and he's a true redneck! I rode down to visit this summer and he's gotten into grabbeling or noodling, or whatever you call it. He and his buds went to Greneda lake while the water levels were down really low. Most of the water was knee deep or so. The cypress stumps are hollow and that's where they catch the big fish. He described it to me. they pull a john boat full of beer through the water until they get to a stump. the stump is 4 feet or so out of the water. There's normally a hole at the bottom of the stump where the fish swims in and out of. One of them blocks the hole and the other guy drops into the stump from the top. The top of the stump may be 3' across but the bottom of the stump is 10' or so. They feel around until they feel the fish. The fish are spawning so they have a tendency to protect their eggs and they bite at their arms.

Not for me neither, well, except for the beer drinking part.

Amen Ken!  Beer is the best part. 

Above and beyond the fact that it never really seemed quite fair to me the whole "what else is in there" while you're just "feeling around" thoroughly creeps me out.  I know for a fact that sometimes things other than a big catfish are what you get a hand full of.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 12:21:34 PM »

Hehehehehehe

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

hehehehehe my hairy white butt.  My folks were originally from this part of the country.  Very rural mid central Missouri both born in the early 30s.  Their families still up there. 

The folks moved to southern California in the 50s.  I was a southern California kid being brought back here on "family vacations."  So just picture about a 10 year southern California kid who dug the beach being out with his uncle and his dad as they re-bonded and said "hey Don, you want to try this!"

Man, I was out of the boat in nothing flat.  Catching a fish by hand sounds freaking cool.  At least it does until you've scared out a herd of snakes, then a turtle seemingly larger than a Volkswagon (that looks hungry) and finally get shoved at a fish that ends up grabbing ahold to your shoulder and just won't freaking let go!  Belive me D00d.  A boy can completely forget about breathing with that chit going on!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 12:25:05 PM »

hehehehehe my hairy white butt.  My folks were originally from this part of the country.  Very rural mid central Missouri both born in the early 30s.  Their families still up there. 

The folks moved to southern California in the 50s.  I was a southern California kid being brought back here on "family vacations."  So just picture about a 10 year southern California kid who dug the beach being out with his uncle and his dad as they re-bonded and said "hey Don, you want to try this!"

Man, I was out of the boat in nothing flat.  Catching a fish by hand sounds freaking cool.  At least it does until you've scared out a herd of snakes, then a turtle seemingly larger than a Volkswagon (that looks hungry) and finally get shoved at a fish that ends up grabbing ahold to your shoulder and just won't freaking let go!  Belive me D00d.  A boy can completely forget about breathing with that chit going on!
I can just hear your Dad telling you after that episode... "Son, that's what builds character and brains, bet you will ask more about the task next time." ;D

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2007, 12:31:58 PM »

I can just hear your Dad telling you after that episode... "Son, that's what builds character and brains, bet you will ask more about the task next time." ;D

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

ah hell Gary, neither of them were talking.  They came closer to drowning than I probably did.  You can't laugh underwater.....

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2007, 12:36:26 PM »

I wonder if there are a lot of one armed red necks who caught an alligator snapping turtle the same way.....

Gotta be careful there, you're only good for 2 in a lifetime, gotta make em count...
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2007, 01:08:42 PM »

I've seen people do that up in the cypress creeks here in Alabama.  No way Jose!!!  I've seen snapping turtles come out of our river systems that are as big as a 5 year old child.  I've also seen Cottonmouth snakes in those same areas as big as a man's arm.  Snakes CAN bite your a$$ underwater, despite the myths to the contrary.  I'm not afraid of snakes, but don't want to be grabbing one in muddy water either.  You can't see chit underwater in most places like that, it's all just "feel".  No thank you...

Those big 'ol mud cats aren't good to eat anyway...I think folks ought to leave 'em alone and go after the 2-4 pounders...that's good eating, especially if it's a blue or channel cat that feeds off other fish.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2007, 01:32:03 PM »

I saw Mike Rowe do some noodling on Dirty Jobs,Hell no not me. As for snapping turtles I grew up across from the resevoir that we used to get our drinking water from and we would sneak in there to fish and there was a turtle aptly named "Gruesome Gray" probably the size of a round kitchen table and about 3 to 4 hundred pounds. Scary bastard when you see him meander by while youre standing on the shore fishing.  Later,Q
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

charlie

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2007, 06:19:13 PM »

Seen it on ESPN when they had the to guys on motor cycles fishin through out the south pretty cool.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 20 queries.