Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Isolated Drive on new 08  (Read 7364 times)

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
Isolated Drive on new 08
« on: September 21, 2007, 05:53:40 PM »

Has anyone know if the new isolated Drive on the 08 improves the ride?  It is item # 40287-07 in the book.  They say it should smooth out the ride. Not sure if it is a worth  while upgrade. Thanks Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Re: Isolated Drive on new 08
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 06:48:17 PM »

Has anyone know if the new isolated Drive on the 08 improves the ride?  It is item # 40287-07 in the book.  They say it should smooth out the ride. Not sure if it is a worth  while upgrade. Thanks Billy

I have not ridden a bike with the IDS on it yet, but I have spoken to others who have had it installed. Without exception, they all say it mad a marked improvement on the smoothness of the bike.

:indian_chief:

Kodiak

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 08:55:28 PM »

Had it installed on my bike. It was a money well spent improvement. Bike has a whole new feel to it.
2012 Candy Cobalt Twilight Blue FLTRXSE, Vance & Hines Power Duals, 4" Rinehart's, SE Super Tuner, Mustang Super Solo with backrest &  passenger seat.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 08:59:20 PM »

How does a Harley feel like a Harley w/o some vibration. Rubber mounts took most of it out. If you guys grew up on rigids or 4-speeds, you'd think all FL's are like rolling Barcoloungers! I still love my 4-speed and my SERK is smooth as silk. To me anyway. I can't see adding that Jap smoothener on a Harley! :o

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 09:51:23 PM »

Had it installed on my bike. It was a money well spent improvement. Bike has a whole new feel to it.
how much for the install? Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 12:00:19 AM »

I had an opportunity to take a completely stock ‘08 TC96 Road Glide for a little 120 mile hop last weekend. I must say that I was impressed with the high speed stability of the chassis and the smooth powertrain characteristics.

This machine runs as stable in low triple digits as it does at 55 mph. I can’t help but wonder if anchoring the top of the powertrain to the steering head does a better job of maintaining relative vertical alignment between the front and rear wheels. As the chassis flexes under load, the steering head seems to be a better choice for an anchor point than a location near the middle of the chassis, if maintaining relative alignment between front and rear wheels is the goal.

I haven’t run an ’07 enough to make a good comparison between the new and old sprocket, although I can say that the that the power delivery of the ’08 is remarkably smooth. I found myself cruising along in fourth gear at 3,200 rpm without realizing that I should be grabbing the next gear until I saw the tach. That isn’t something that is likely to happen with the earlier machinery. The reduced reciprocating weight in the TC96 engine must also contribute to the smooth powertrain characteristics.     

Djkak

novazeus

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 12:14:00 AM »

I think the isolated drive acts like a big rubber band or a capacitor for rear wheel go. It's like it stores energy without wasting it and smoothly scoots you foward sneaky fast.

I don't know how the geometry of the mounts actually work but I agree moving the link to the foward top has to be better than a middle top location.

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007, 08:09:30 PM »

How does a Harley feel like a Harley w/o some vibration. Rubber mounts took most of it out. If you guys grew up on rigids or 4-speeds, you'd think all FL's are like rolling Barcoloungers! I still love my 4-speed and my SERK is smooth as silk. To me anyway. I can't see adding that Jap smoothener on a Harley! :o

Hoist! 8)
  Hoist, I would have thought that you would have been the first to improve on the ride . You  seem to be on the cutting edge of performace and ride all the time.    I think it is worth a try to make the bike ride better. Billy

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2007, 08:16:28 PM »

IMO, HD could learn a few things from some of the Jap bikes...German and Italian too!!
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2007, 08:25:11 PM »

Well, I know exactly what Hoist is saying......if you rode long enough on the ole chit (hardtails/knucks/shovels,etc...) then it's hard not to think we've died and gone to heaven on these new scooters(HD's), Harley has never been at the forefront of technological engineering, but, that's not why we buy 'em, now is it?  I'm just tickled to be able  to 'ride' and not have to 'wrench' before getting home on these new and improved HD's......  I'm w/ you on this one Howie!  ;) har! :drink:  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2007, 08:53:47 PM »

I've seen this item and read the description in the catalog but can someone explain to me, in laymans terms, how it achieves a 'smoother' ride.

TIA, AJ

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2007, 09:52:05 PM »

I've seen this item and read the description in the catalog but can someone explain to me, in laymans terms, how it achieves a 'smoother' ride.

TIA, AJ

Think of it as a shock absorber dampening the pulsed energy generated by the engine pushing against the road’s surface. Without the shock absorber (hard tail) more of the pulsed energy will be transmitted through the engine mounts into the chassis. The rubber isolators in the sprocket absorb energy in much the same way that lowering the rear tire pressure in a hard tail helps cushion the rider by allowing the tire to flex more.

djkak

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2007, 09:59:27 PM »

Think of it as a shock absorber dampening the pulsed energy generated by the engine pushing against the road’s surface. Without the shock absorber (hard tail) more of the pulsed energy will be transmitted through the engine mounts into the chassis. The rubber isolators in the sprocket absorb energy in much the same way that lowering the rear tire pressure in a hard tail helps cushion the rider by allowing the tire to flex more.

djkak
Ohhhhhhhhhh. That sounds like a great explanation to us ole schoolers.......(of course, I've been drinking  :drink: and anything would make sense to me right now)  har!  :2vrolijk_21: :confused5: :huepfenlol2: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2007, 10:07:29 PM »

Ohhhhhhhhhh. That sounds like a great explanation to us ole schoolers.......(of course, I've been drinking  :drink: and anything would make sense to me right now)  har!  :2vrolijk_21: :confused5: :huepfenlol2: spyder

Still doesn't help this neophyte though. I'm guessing that it's gonna remove some of the vibrations? Is it really worth $300?

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2007, 10:24:39 PM »

Still doesn't help this neophyte though. I'm guessing that it's gonna remove some of the vibrations? Is it really worth $300?

Free install in Mayretta.

:indian_chief:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 20 queries.