Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18

Author Topic: 110 Build  (Read 42450 times)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: 110 Build
« Reply #90 on: December 27, 2007, 09:38:51 AM »

Pushrods was my guess.  Cam cover would not matter and there are no o-rings between the head and rocker support on the bullet TP Rocker box.  The rocker support is part of the box and the oil seperator/breather is very different than stock.

Scott, is there a reason you went with Cycle Rama roller rockers instead of the TP engineering ones?

yep...pushrods vs. lifter covers...

I had already bought the Cycle Rama roller rockers prior to deciding on the TP rocker boxes...(Cycle Rama supplied the cams, lifters, roller rockers, did the head work, ect.)

Scott
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #91 on: December 27, 2007, 09:41:58 AM »

Thanks for taking the time to take pictures and share with us.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #92 on: December 27, 2007, 10:55:49 AM »

Great walk-thru and pics Scott.  Wish I had the patience and the ability to do something like that myself.  This has been a very enlightening trip through the re-building of the top end of one of our beasties.  I'd like to see a vid of the new build running also.  Thanks.  ;)
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
  :devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #93 on: December 27, 2007, 10:57:22 AM »

Great job Scott! :2vrolijk_21:

I'll head over to the shop today and try and get the map out of my bike for you. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #94 on: December 27, 2007, 11:26:09 AM »

Your pretty much got it...I could not install the pushrods with the lifter covers installed - there was not enough clearance.  I had to take the lifter covers back off and install them with the pushrods...lesson learned.

Scott

With the rocker supports being all one piece with the rocker boxes I'd wondered if "easy install" adjustables would still go in or not.  Mine are adjustables, but not quick install.  So I knew I'd need the extra room anyway.  These rocker boxes just add a few quirks of their own.  I'll just have to remember to stick the pushrods in before the pipes go on to have that bit of extra room taking the lifter blocks on and off :2vrolijk_21: .

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #95 on: December 27, 2007, 11:27:53 AM »

With the rocker supports being all one piece with the rocker boxes I'd wondered if "easy install" adjustables would still go in or not.  Mine are adjustables, but not quick install.  So I knew I'd need the extra room anyway.  These rocker boxes just add a few quirks of their own.

Why not put them loosely in place before you bolt the head on, like a 1-piece pushrod. Adjust them after assembly, and close it up w/2-piece PR covers. You don't have to worry about the lifter blocks that way either. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #96 on: December 27, 2007, 12:13:29 PM »

Why not put them loosely in place before you bolt the head on, like a 1-piece pushrod. Adjust them after assembly, and close it up w/2-piece PR covers. You don't have to worry about the lifter blocks that way either. ;)

Hoist! 8)

Howie, I'd planned to try precisely that.  Set the pushrods down through the heads and set the entire rocker box/rocker arm assembly down over the top.  If it'll work without taking the extra bits apart down low that's great.  Just don't know yet if it will.

Front hole will obviously allow plenty of room.  Don't know if back hole will though.  One of those "just have to try it and find out" kind of things.  If not popping off a lifter block is no big deal for an extra.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #97 on: December 27, 2007, 05:49:01 PM »

113 vs EVO

Is this a 113" Cylinder or a 110" cylinder compared to an EVO?  There is very little surface area on the non evo cylinder for a head gasket to seal.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

nc-renegade

« Reply #98 on: December 28, 2007, 08:06:17 AM »

Howie, I'd planned to try precisely that.  Set the pushrods down through the heads and set the entire rocker box/rocker arm assembly down over the top.  If it'll work without taking the extra bits apart down low that's great.  Just don't know yet if it will.

Front hole will obviously allow plenty of room.  Don't know if back hole will though.  One of those "just have to try it and find out" kind of things.  If not popping off a lifter block is no big deal for an extra.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but it seems this is making it harder than it is!  The TP rocker boxes allow the rockers to come out easy.  What I do is set the rocker boxes down on the heads with out the rockers.  Bolt everything down, put in the tubes and drop the pushrods in.  Then I put the rockers on.  With the TP's, if you have to pull the pushrods, I just take out the one bolt holding the shaft and pull the shaft out, leaving all the other bolts in.  There is a screw hole in the end of the TP rocker shafts that make it easy to pull it in and out.

Perhaps the problem is you did not use the TP engineering rockers and the shafts supplied did not have these screw holes?

Another big problem I see with the TP rocker box is the supplied grade 8 bolts used for the rocker shafts, they are shorter than the stock ones.  You run a good risk of stripping the holes in the head with these bolts.  I replaced mine with allen head bolts the same length of the stock ones.  They are a good 1/2" longer than the ones TP supplies.

nc-renegade

« Reply #99 on: December 28, 2007, 08:10:30 AM »

With the rocker supports being all one piece with the rocker boxes I'd wondered if "easy install" adjustables would still go in or not.  Mine are adjustables, but not quick install.  So I knew I'd need the extra room anyway.  These rocker boxes just add a few quirks of their own.  I'll just have to remember to stick the pushrods in before the pipes go on to have that bit of extra room taking the lifter blocks on and off :2vrolijk_21: .

Another thing to watch out for with these rocker boxes is they are taller than stock.  I had to shim my rear gas tank support up to clear the rear box.

Quick install pushrods go in without any problems.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #100 on: December 28, 2007, 08:17:51 AM »

Maybe I'm missing something here, but it seems this is making it harder than it is!  The TP rocker boxes allow the rockers to come out easy.  What I do is set the rocker boxes down on the heads with out the rockers.  Bolt everything down, put in the tubes and drop the pushrods in.  Then I put the rockers on.  With the TP's, if you have to pull the pushrods, I just take out the one bolt holding the shaft and pull the shaft out, leaving all the other bolts in.  There is a screw hole in the end of the TP rocker shafts that make it easy to pull it in and out.

Perhaps the problem is you did not use the TP engineering rockers and the shafts supplied did not have these screw holes?

Another big problem I see with the TP rocker box is the supplied grade 8 bolts used for the rocker shafts, they are shorter than the stock ones.  You run a good risk of stripping the holes in the head with these bolts.  I replaced mine with allen head bolts the same length of the stock ones.  They are a good 1/2" longer than the ones TP supplies.

It would not seem to me there would be clearance to pull the rocker shaft retaining bolt on the rear cylinder...between the rocker box and the frame???

There are a number of sequences of assembly that will work...you just have to know there is an issue.  I made the mistake of assuming the S&S adjustable pushrods would shorten enough to be installed after the rocker boxes had been installed and after the liifter covers were installed - which turned out to be a wrong assumption.  Once I got that far, the simple solution was to pull the lifter covers back off...like I said...lesson learned.  In hingsight, I would have slid the pushrods in place prior to assembling the rocker box to the head.

For someone only wanting to change cams (and leave the top end together) pulling the lifter covers would be the least amount of work.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 03:52:18 PM by sadunbar »
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #101 on: December 28, 2007, 08:38:41 AM »

Scott

Regarless of the sequence you used to assemble this motor we want to know when it's running.
You have done a great narration on the assembly and we are ready for it to run!
(and I'm sure you are also)
Good job buddy!

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #102 on: December 28, 2007, 09:10:19 AM »

Scott

Regarless of the sequence you used to assemble this motor we want to know when it's running.
You have done a great narration on the assembly and we are ready for it to run!
(and I'm sure you are also)
Good job buddy!

:2vrolijk_21:

thanks for the comments...

I am picking away at it...Got the electrics hooked up and gas tank on yesterday...  Still have to get the exhaust on, button up the primary and a few odds and ends.  Hopefully I will get some time today and/or tomorrow to finish it and fire it.  You are correct, I am anxious to hear it run!!

Scott
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #103 on: December 28, 2007, 09:38:11 AM »

Just like watching the Discovery Channel.  Nice job.  Good luck, hope is meets or exceeds your wildest expectations for performance and reliability.  Doing it yourself is awesome.   8)  I'm jealous!
Any day on the bike is a good day.

IslandUltra

• IslandUltra
  • Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #104 on: December 28, 2007, 12:24:33 PM »

Wow, I just finished going through this entire thread.  It was very educational for me.  Let me be another person to say it is awesome that you have the ability to so this yourself.  Thanks for sharing.   :2vrolijk_20:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 24 queries.