Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: leaking head gasket fix  (Read 14753 times)

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

Re: leaking head gasket fix
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2007, 08:22:14 PM »

What we have found is that with the lack of proper clamping load on the head you are also not getting your proper tq to keep the cylinder from leaking. Now with our kits we lap the base of every cylinder to ensure that it is fact flat and will be able to evenly be tq'd with the head.

If you cannot keep the head gasket from leaking due to clamp load not being even your cylinder is bound to be in the same boat.  We can lap the cylinders when we do the head work. It would not be any more than 40 bucks to lap both cylinders. It is a easy process, more time consuming than, than hard.
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2007, 08:26:19 PM »

What we have found is that with the lack of proper clamping load on the head you are also not getting your proper tq to keep the cylinder from leaking. Now with our kits we lap the base of every cylinder to ensure that it is fact flat and will be able to evenly be tq'd with the head.

If you cannot keep the head gasket from leaking due to clamp load not being even your cylinder is bound to be in the same boat.  We can lap the cylinders when we do the head work. It would not be any more than 40 bucks to lap both cylinders. It is a easy process, more time consuming than, than hard.
How much of the engine would need to be sent to you for these upgrades?  The whole thing? 
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

Rhino

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2007, 08:37:55 PM »

Well, look at it this way. To fix the leak, take the opportunity. I would ship the whole engine out. But when you get it back, I imagine a few mods will have been done, so be careful on that first throttle twist. Oh, BTW, send the blank check with it too.  I am sure GMR has some interesting ideas for the 110. 

Rhino (soontobemakinanotherchange)

How much of the engine would need to be sent to you for these upgrades?  The whole thing? 

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2007, 09:17:48 PM »

I think dollar wise it would be best to just buy the S&S 124" with their 6 sp trans.  I could use the stock 110 for a piece of art work on a base sitting by my pool table.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2007, 08:23:28 AM »

What about the cylinder base gaskets leaking? 

I'm not sure, but I think the base gasket only leaks when the oil that gets by the head gasket runs down the stud hole and then seeps.  There's not supposed to be oil in there.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2007, 09:43:14 AM »

I would not need the entire engine, just the cylinders and the heads.  Funny about the S&S 124, you think you have issues with your 110 , you will have two display engines if you plan on the S&S.  As I have said the 110 has some great power to be unleashed with some work.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2007, 01:06:43 PM »

I would not need the entire engine, just the cylinders and the heads.  Funny about the S&S 124, you think you have issues with your 110 , you will have two display engines if you plan on the S&S.  As I have said the 110 has some great power to be unleashed with some work.

Are you suggesting there are problems with the S&S 124?  What issues exist with this motor?
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2007, 01:40:11 PM »

I think dollar wise it would be best to just buy the S&S 124" with their 6 sp trans.  I could use the stock 110 for a piece of art work on a base sitting by my pool table.

be sure to place a drip pan underneath!!!!!

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2007, 02:10:47 PM »

Well we have fixed many of them for several issues, cylinders being bored with taper, you have excessive piston to wall, oil usage, found that the guides where pressed in cocked, and even had a crack in the guide boss, improper valve springs, sumping issues due to cases not being drilled correctly for oil return. Valve retainers breaking due to the holes they drill in them and dropping a valve into the cylinder( that makes a huge mess) rods going out of round, the crank is extremely good though for not shifting, oil leaks. Issues with there internal oil pump,  There are more but I think you get the point, the engine is tossed together in a hurry to sell as a EPA crate engine, do I really need to say more??

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2007, 02:28:50 PM »

So in reality what ever you get either leave it alone or send it to a reputable shop to tear down and reassemble it right.
Is that right?

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2007, 02:59:39 PM »

I would go along with that. We as a small indy shop pride ourselves in offerring the best customer service we can . SO what you get is a engine package that fits your needs vs a kit that needs to be sold to make money, and not caring if it fits your needs or not.

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2007, 08:45:27 PM »

steve, you can say that again. hard to restructure quotes, timeframes, tuning time, etc: after MOCO or anyone else throws a kink in the plan. shoulda shot the commies when we had a chance!!!!!!!!

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2007, 10:35:24 AM »

This great and timely information.  :huepfenjump3:

I'm in the process evaluating what I need done for my 08 SERK. I talked with Dennis about this very problem. Thanks for the great info Rednectum!  ;D  I will be in contact with GMR soon. I'm looking forward to making a 110 that is dependable for the long haul. The winter project continues to come together. Motor upgrade and hard bags for Christmas.

Jeff

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2007, 05:24:18 PM »

While I think you have a fix, most 110's checked are finding the crank runout issue.  I could not justify spending out of pocket money fixing an annoying leak to have a motor that will most likely lock up going down the road and kill me. 

What are your thoughts on the bigger issue?  Thanks
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2007, 05:41:52 PM »

While I think you have a fix, most 110's checked are finding the crank runout issue.  I could not justify spending out of pocket money fixing an annoying leak to have a motor that will most likely lock up going down the road and kill me. 

What are your thoughts on the bigger issue?  Thanks

Good point, Skremin!  -I would also like to know if the run-out problem comes that way from the factory, or does it happen from just normal riding?  I don't think most of us are hammering these things very much.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 24 queries.