Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: leaking head gasket fix  (Read 14757 times)

ae8850t

• CVO1: 07 FLHTCUSE2
Re: leaking head gasket fix
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2007, 02:14:58 PM »

Well you are not understanding it then .  I can not make it more simple. I am sorry you do not understand.  You are trying to compare bore size??  The shape of the cvo chamber is one issue the lask of thickness/ shape of the cvo chamber is the cause.  If we could leave the chamber alone and only port the head we would it is alot more work. So we are not doing that for fun, it is a needed upgrade. The two items working together  solve the problem.

If you dont think it is so , then explain to me why I anyone can build a 110/ 113 with a se  cylinder kit and ported stock heads  with a bathtub chamber and they never blow head gaskets??

GWR, I understand your fixes and get it. My 07 FLHTCUSE2 is in the HD shop right now on it's first leaky head gasket visit (4k miles), and I'm waiting on new cylinders/pistons/ring kits for both cylinders. I had them do the runout check and it was OK. When I get it back I'm seriously going to consider having the heads reworked somewhere so I don't have to go through this again. I'd like to talk with you but don't know how to reach you. Do you have a website or tele #?
Rinehart True Duals
Arlen Ness Big Sucker Stg.1 A/F kit
SERT
SE 251 Cam Kit
SE QI Push Rods
HPI 51mm TB

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2007, 02:18:44 PM »

www.gmrperformance.com  We are working ont he site now so some things you cannot look at. We are adding approx 50 more pages of items.
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2007, 02:27:39 PM »

Well you are not understanding it then .  I can not make it more simple. I am sorry you do not understand.  You are trying to compare bore size??  The shape of the cvo chamber is one issue the lask of thickness/ shape of the cvo chamber is the cause.  If we could leave the chamber alone and only port the head we would it is alot more work. So we are not doing that for fun, it is a needed upgrade. The two items working together  solve the problem.

If you dont think it is so , then explain to me why I anyone can build a 110/ 113 with a se  cylinder kit and ported stock heads  with a bathtub chamber and they never blow head gaskets??

While I hesitate to do this, I am going to try and clarify what I think Djak is asking...

First off - I don't think Djak is questioning or even commenting on the shape of the ports or the shape of the chamber.  I think his question is strictly related to clamp force.  I think what he is asking is:

If you are not adding any surface area directly under the gasket surface, how is clamp force improved?

I think he likely understands your explaination of how altering the chamber configuration redirects gases and changes flow - and he likely understands your belief that this change will help solve the head gasket problem.  I think his question soley relates to increasing clamp force...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2007, 08:16:07 PM »

What sadunbar said. :)

I thought my original question was reasonably clear and to the point, but maybe you felt that I was looking for something else.

I am interested in how your modified combustion chamber increases the clamp load of the assembly without increasing the surface area contacting the head gasket. It looks to me like you could weld up the entire combustion chamber with no impact whatsoever on the clamp load of the 110’s head gasket. I am just looking for a little clarification on your clamp load remarks.

djkak

lack of clamping load due to the poor head design.   But then again i only build engines fro aliving , and do not have the huge title hanging over my head that says HD ??

.....the lack of head surface due to the shape of the combustion chamber does not lend itself to offering as much clamp load as a standard shape chamber.....

bbsiding

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2007, 09:27:13 PM »

Would using the 103+ screamin eagle head, the recommended head for the 113 fix the problem. I don't think it's a hemi
2005 SEEG Teal
20011 FLHTCUSE6

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2007, 02:19:15 PM »

I have not seen any issues with the cylinders other than the myth from the dealers.

My bike is at the dealer right now. I posted some pictures of the area where you can feel that the sleeve is not flush with the cylinder. I am not by any means a motorcycle technician but I can feel this lip around 85% of the sleeve and it is flush (continuously) the other 15%. I have a friend who suggests that the heat is causing the cylinder to warp around the sleeve instead of a sleeve (which he said is molded in cast iron around it, the cylinder) slipping up. Any thoughts on this<

Thanks for your input here by the way.

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2007, 06:13:28 AM »

My bike is at the dealer right now. I posted some pictures of the area where you can feel that the sleeve is not flush with the cylinder. I am not by any means a motorcycle technician but I can feel this lip around 85% of the sleeve and it is flush (continuously) the other 15%. I have a friend who suggests that the heat is causing the cylinder to warp around the sleeve instead of a sleeve (which he said is molded in cast iron around it, the cylinder) slipping up. Any thoughts on this<

Thanks for your input here by the way.

thanks for posting rob, lots of folks have been waiting for that report.

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2007, 05:23:07 PM »

I think that I may not have understood the question clearly enough. If you can add a small amount of extra surface then you are able to stabilize the entire clamping area. Now the reshaped chamber also work into this as well.  Here is a picture of the 103 head done and surfaced and ready to go. I should have put a gasket on the surface. There is a small amount of surface added where the head and gasket sit, now it is only a small amount but with the thermal dynamics you are dealing with this works. I hope this helps some??  As you can see in the picture the there is a large amount of extra area added. As well these are not blowing the head gasket per say but leaking oil. Look at the return hole on a stock head vs this head. There is almost no area to give any extra support, the force of the compression is working at that gasket lifting it enough to cause a oil seepage issue. Since I can only show one head at a time the next post has a stock chamber pictured. If you look closely on the welded head you can see the stock chamber out line.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 01:31:44 PM by GMR-PERFORMANCE »

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2007, 05:24:05 PM »

Now this is a stock chamber

gremlush

• I may not be good, BUT, I am slow.
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2007, 01:22:19 PM »

that is a 103" head ,not a 110" . The 110" heads have plenty of squish in my opion and work good. Ports just need a 'little' clean up and do a good 4-5 angle seat cut ,and modify the STOCK valves , back cut,radius,etc. and machine .030 - .050 off the head and use a .030 head gaskets , with a GOOD CAM , and Good ex. and GOOD TUNER ,REPEAT ,good tuner ! Been porting H-D heads since 1978 and still learning ! Thank GOD I don't do this for a living ,way to many people out there trying to GRAB your money. I have made great power with stock {cast} ports, and a good cam.

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2007, 01:49:17 PM »

Dewey , it says that it is a 103 head, the picture was put up to show how the welded chamber looks. I agree that you can use the stock valves, as they are a good valve. We take a different approach to the porting though,... and the welding of the port is one way to tighten it up, and increase the velocity of the port. Re shaping that chamber, along with the CNC porting will reduce the head temps in the process.  SO you have lower head temps, a engine that will decrease the run time by 1.5 -2.0 seconds. And a chamber that works better than stock. With the welded chamber you are in the 90 cc range so you do not have to buy a new dome piston to get you compression into the 10 range. With that you are also keeping your large piston to valve clearance, if you decide to run a high lift cam, you have no worries in that area.

This process is nothing new there are more than a few top head porters that agree this is the best way.

Different ways to get the job done I guess.

gremlush

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2007, 06:21:18 PM »

I thought this post was on how to fix a leaking head gasket on the 110" ? I don't like the 103" heads ,but ,I think the 110" heads are good !  You know me , I am the one you called 3 years ago to do ALL of your head porting and I told you , NO , I don't do that many heads.

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2007, 06:28:26 PM »

Has it been that long?? Time flys wehn you are having fun.  We are almost at the 500 sets of heads a year now. Who seems likes yesterday i was a one man show in a little shop HA HA

gremlush

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2007, 10:23:40 AM »

I told you ,that I don't do that many heads and if you are doing 500 sets a year ,then you need to put YOUR HEADS dynos on your web site , NOT MINE.  98 INCH  run 031 ,Andrews 67 cams ,cycle shack pipes ,etc . I have that run sitting here right in front of me , only mine is not whited out on the bottom. Mine says Dewey's Pro-Street heads , 107.4 hp. and 120.2 tq.  that dyno was done in Cont. by a guy they call GROCK on the V-twin forum. If you want , I can post it so people can see what I am talking about ! You have another one too.

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2007, 10:28:38 AM »

I will look into that, I get them from customers so if that is what was sent that is what I got. The sheet does have any info on it and My web lady posts them for me .  Be happy to remove it. As I said i get them from customers.  SORRY it that is a issue,  and you can just call me as well.   ;)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 10:54:04 AM by GMR-PERFORMANCE »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 20 queries.