Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Author Topic: Alarm went nuts! Bike is DEAD. Now what?  (Read 14906 times)

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Alarm went nuts! Bike is DEAD. Now what?
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2008, 08:28:08 PM »

Of course you realize that means a dealer tech will be trying to find it!   That may create more problems than you started with!! :huepfenjump3:  If you see them opening the tourpak and the smoke is coming from the ignition switch, just ask them to push it back outside!!
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2008, 08:41:38 PM »

Then I'd put a test light between a battery post and a cable.  It SHOULD light, since the short is occurring.  You can now start removing fuses one at a time to then narrow down which circuit the short is on.  Light goes out, there's your short. 

Only caveat to this method is that there are some things (clock in the radio for example) that are unswitched (powered all the time).  So some dim lighting of the bulb in the test light could occur. 

If you've only got a test light rather than a meter pull fuses as suggested but do so first for any circuit that would have unswitched power.  If the test light is still on then go chasing the short.

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2008, 09:17:44 AM »

While I haven't tried it with a Harley, most automotive memory systems (radio, clock, computer) do not draw enough to even dimly light the light.  If there's as much drop going on a what UJ is seeing, it will pretty brightly light the light.  That's the one problem of using an ampmeter to do this test, unless you know what the base draw of the systems are, you can't distinguish between normal and not.  The meter certainly works, but you have to know more to easily use it.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2008, 11:00:10 AM »

While I haven't tried it with a Harley, most automotive memory systems (radio, clock, computer) do not draw enough to even dimly light the light.  If there's as much drop going on a what UJ is seeing, it will pretty brightly light the light.  That's the one problem of using an ampmeter to do this test, unless you know what the base draw of the systems are, you can't distinguish between normal and not.  The meter certainly works, but you have to know more to easily use it.

Agreed John.  With light or meter you're primarily looking for what lights the bulb brightest or draws the most on the meter.  I have seen normal unswitched circuits very dimly light a test light.  So just wanted him to take that into potential account.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2008, 08:19:25 PM »

You will find in the manual (Electrical Diagnostic Manual) a small chart that lists normal current draw in milliamps for all systems which draw current with the switch off.  Adding these up will give you the total "normal" draw.  If your meter indicates a draw higher than normal, disconnecting one system at a time until the change in draw is more than expected for that system will lead you to the culprit.  If you get a normal initial reading and suspect a harness issue, methodically twist and flex the harness while observing the meter for any change.

Example draw numbers for an '05 EG in milliamps:

ECM             1.0
Speedo         0.5
Tach            0.5
------------------------------
TSM  (no security)      0.5
TSSM (armed)            3.0         TSM / TSSM will draw 16-25 mA for 30 seconds after ignition is turned off or
TSSM (disarmed)         3.0         battery is reconnected, then drop to the values shown.
TSSM (storage mode)   0.5
------------------------------
Security Siren              20.0 initially until internal battery is fully charged, then .05 after fully charged
Voltage Regulator         2.0
Radio                         4.0

Assuming a TSSM in normal mode, either armed or disarmed, and a fully charged siren, normal draw would be approximately 11 mA.  I would guess that some of these numbers may be slightly different on the '07/'08 models with the new security system, so it would be best to check the appropriate model year manual for specifics.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2008, 08:23:23 PM »

You will find in the manual (Electrical Diagnostic Manual) a small chart that lists normal current draw in milliamps for all systems which draw current with the switch off. 

Thanks Jerry.  Was pretty sure remembered seeing some version of that data posted before.  Just didn't have a chance earlier to go back and look for it.  With the data in hand working with even a simple little digital meter gives a better idea of what you're isolating. 

Most important thing is to use something though.  With the dealership begging out as they did then some Saturday someone has to grab a light or a meter or a moistened tongue and start isolating circuits.  Spring will be here before long after all.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2008, 08:26:38 PM »

Thanks Jerry.  Was pretty sure remembered seeing some version of that data posted before.  Just didn't have a chance earlier to go back and look for it.  With the data in hand working with even a simple little digital meter gives a better idea of what you're isolating. 

Most important thing is to use something though.  With the dealership begging out as they did then some Saturday someone has to grab a light or a meter or a moistened tongue and start isolating circuits.  Spring will be here before long after all.

And yet another use for a moistened tongue!!   :huepfenlol2:   8)
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2008, 08:29:10 PM »

And yet another use for a moistened tongue!!   :huepfenlol2:   8)

Sovomonabeach.  There's an image file here that is just begging to be posted.  But it'd get moderated faster than D00d can spy orange and black. ::)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2008, 08:31:00 PM »

Sovomonabeach.  There's an image file here that is just begging to be posted.  But it'd get moderated faster than D00d can spy orange and black. ::)

Huh?? :nixweiss: whatchatalkinabout?  I was thinking stamps or envelopes or some such objects....  :nixweiss:
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2008, 09:00:09 PM »

Huh?? :nixweiss: whatchatalkinabout?  I was thinking stamps or envelopes or some such objects....  :nixweiss:

Believe it or not the image file that wanted to be posted had a postage stamp in it :P .

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2008, 09:22:36 PM »

Believe it or not the image file that wanted to be posted had a postage stamp in it :P .

:worthless:
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2008, 09:42:06 PM »

Try this!!! ;D ;D ;D

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=6903098

Hoist! 8)

hehe :huepfenlol2:

is there a topic in existence that doesn't have an appropriate internet video out there somewhere???
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2008, 09:46:53 PM »

hehe :huepfenlol2:

is there a topic in existence that doesn't have an appropriate internet video out there somewhere???

I hope not!!! :o ::) :P :D :D :D

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

bikerboy53

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • OR

• CVO1: Razor Red '07 FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: Red & Slate '10 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2008, 03:15:03 PM »

I went over to John's house the weekend before last (Feb 10) and helped him work on the electrical problem. I think we figured it out, but I don't want to steal his thunder -especially if his battery is still going dead. I saw him at "Survivor Night"  :P last Thursday and it sounded like the battery is staying up now, but I don't have any newer information than that.

Hey John! How about updating everybody on whut we found?  ???

BB  ;D

PS -We had some fantastic weather over the President's Day weekend, so John was probably out riding. My BSR and I put on a few miles over the weekend -it was in the low to mid 60's in Southern Orygun. (Orygun's banana belt!) :bananarock:  :bananarock: Yee Haawwww!!!   8)
But now it's back to winter...
S&S T124
VP-016-340 Centrifugal Clutch kit
S&S PowerTune Duals w/Rinehart Touring Mufflers
Garmin Zumo 660
Bushtec Trailer
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 24 queries.