Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: How's your Corbin seat?  (Read 3323 times)

Panhead_Jimmy

• Elite CVO Member
Re: How's your Corbin seat?
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2007, 04:12:55 PM »

I rode to Corbin's in Hollister and waited while they custom made my seat (about 4 to 6 hours).  They have a cool diner attached to their manufacturing facility and bought me breakfast (or lunch, if you so choose), and it was pretty danged good.  I strongly advise getting the seat made to fit your body and bike combination.  I was totally satisfied with the seat they made, but, though some quirk of fate I met the CEO of Saddlemen seats and was talked into coming to his shop in Rancho Dominguez, CA (near 91 / 710 freeways) and have them make one of their seats for me.
ICMC Geezer, IMHO there is very little difference between the brands, but since you live in LA area, the Saddlemen shop is way closer and I have nothing but good reports about their product.  Good luck with whichever vendor you choose.

Saddlemen's address is:
17801 S. Susana Rd.
Rancho Dominguez, CA 90211
2004 Hemi Dodge Slammed Ram, Short Bed Std Cab
1945 Knuckle
1956 Pan
2015 FLHTKSE
2017 CVO Street Glide Orange/Starfire Black

Jim

• Full CVO Member
  • One Day At A Time
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2007, 04:32:24 PM »

I bought the dual touring heated seat for my 03 RC SE and couldnt have been more unhappy with performance. First let me say that the quaility. fitment, material, stitching was superb, it is probably the best looking seat I have ever had, unfortunantly I had to ride on the seat. it seams like the seat never "broke in". The more I road it the harder it felt. I put about 4000 miles on it before I gave up. Maybe I got a bad seat? Sounds like most everyone else has a good report. Just telling my story. I would probably try a Corbin again but I would have to ride with the seat before I buy. Good luck with your choice.

Jim
SE A/f
SE Mufflers
SE Race Tuner

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2007, 06:52:31 PM »

Jim, another thing that I think help make the Corbin seat more comfortable is when you get a 'pattern' (flames, scallops, diamonds, rolls/pleats, etc.) of some sort stitched into the seating area.....it actually 'puffs up' the leather instead of it being pulled smooth/tight and this seems to add more cushion to the seating area.  That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it. 8)  har!  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2007, 08:01:08 PM »

I have two Corbins on my SEEG, a Stinger which I use 98% of the time and a dual touring seat with oval backrests for two up riding.  Rode over 5400 miles in 9 days on the dual tour this summer with no discomfort, have 15K on the Stinger.  Both great seats.
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2007, 08:18:28 PM »

I have two Corbins on my SEEG, a Stinger which I use 98% of the time and a dual touring seat with oval backrests for two up riding.  Rode over 5400 miles in 9 days on the dual tour this summer with no discomfort, have 15K on the Stinger.  Both great seats.
Always wonder how that Stinger was.......really looks good, just wondered how it was to ride it for awhile.  :nixweiss:  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Deuce-Bag

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2007, 05:59:59 PM »

Well I am 1 of those 10, I hate it.  Been on several rides now and it's getting worse.  I don't believe this break it in for a thousand miles stuff.  Either it forms in the first few minutes or it doesn't.  Also, several things the Corbin salesmen don't tell you, 1) It's at least 2 or 3 inches taller than stock (front and rear) which means now both my wife and I now suffer from buffeting created by a windshield that is too low.  2) The seat is wider and more square where your legs go down which translates to very poor footing when stopped (34 inseam).  Pay careful attention to these 2 points if you're under 6".  One dropped bike and a new windshield add a lot to an already pricey seat.

On the up side, it's well built and looks good.  Stay tuned for a Corbin for sale!   
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 08:03:04 PM by Deuce-Bag »

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2007, 06:23:12 PM »

I just installed the Corbin Dual Tour on my 07 SE Ultra. I hated my stock seat. When I took the stock seat off I could see why. It is made cheap, cheap. The Corbin is Well Made. Once installed I noticed how firm the seat was. I guess I should say Firm, or Extra Firm or Hard. My only worry is that it breaks-in and gets a little more comfortable with miles and time. I bought the Dual Tour with heater and Solid Oval Back Rest. It match's the Factory Tour Pack very well. The Quality of the Seat Pan is way above the factory seat. I don't know why Corbin doesn't put a little softer padding in there seats being it is their number one complaint?

Scott

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2007, 06:26:06 PM »

I just installed the Corbin Dual Tour on my 07 SE Ultra. I hated my stock seat. When I took the stock seat off I could see why. It is made cheap, cheap. The Corbin is Well Made. Once installed I noticed how firm the seat was. I guess I should say Firm, or Extra Firm or Hard. My only worry is that it breaks-in and gets a little more comfortable with miles and time. I bought the Dual Tour with heater and Solid Oval Back Rest. It match's the Factory Tour Pack very well. The Quality of the Seat Pan is way above the factory seat. I don't know why Corbin doesn't put a little softer padding in there seats being it is their number one complaint?

Scott

After having sat a lot miles on Corbins, probably 250-300 thousand miles over the bikes and years, I don't want them any more padded.  At least not for longer riding days.  For short hops that only take a tank or two or three maybe.  But for any good day in the saddle they do the job they're supposed (at least for my ass) just the way they are.

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2007, 07:07:29 PM »

Twolanerider may be right. I have only tried my new seat for 100 miles. I am going to keep the Corbin as I plan on taking some long trips. It has to be better than the stock seat. If I do wish addition padding to be installed Corbin offered, all I need to do is ride to the Holister factory, 400 miles from my home and they will customize as needed.

Scott

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2007, 07:55:07 PM »

I've got 5500 miles on my heated Dual Tour and it is the most comfortable seat I've ever had. My last Corbin was never comfortable, just supportive.
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

Deuce-Bag

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2007, 08:11:34 PM »

Sorry guys, but a seat needs to be good for 50 miles or 500 miles not one or the other.   Does anyone sleep on a bed made of this stuff??  Unlikely!

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2007, 08:16:13 PM »

They don't put pillow seats on horses for a reason.  You need 'support' to sit in a saddle all day.  That's the principle that Corbin designs their seats on......to afford 'shaped firm foam' to give you that support, not cushion.  That's my 'take' on this, and I'm sticking to it w/ over 100,000 miles on one with my no-natural cushion azz.  :( :o   har!   :drink: spyder

Deuce-Bag

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2007, 08:18:14 PM »

Interesting, I think you're on your own with this one.  I have never heard anyone look forward to sitting in a saddle, even for an hour, myself included.  And I believe a saddle has more give than a Corbin seat!   ;D
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 08:26:27 PM by Deuce-Bag »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2007, 08:42:19 PM »

Sorry guys, but a seat needs to be good for 50 miles or 500 miles not one or the other.   Does anyone sleep on a bed made of this stuff??  Unlikely!

That's not a problem DB, for me the Corbin is good from beginning of the day.  It's just much better throughout a long day than anything else I've ever sat.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2007, 01:29:01 PM »

Anything you sit on for 10 hours can get uncomfortable, just 'cause your ass gets tired of being in the same spot, but I can sit on the Corbin for a 20 mile ride locally, or a 600 mile ride, and with the stock seat, or any other kind of soft, mushy seat, my butt won't last 100 miles.

The only HD seat I've sat on so far that is fairly comfortable is a Sundowner, and it's what I'd call medium firm.

Regarding the seat being taller, a lot of that has to do with the fact that it does not compress down to the seat pan like the stock seat does.  Also, getting what Corbin calls a "nose job" on the seat narrows up the front portion, and IMO, does no harm whatever to the comfort of the seating portion, so doing that as a matter of practice when getting a Corbin would not be a bad idea.

But, some people just never get used to a Corbin, so if it doesn't work for you, it just doesn't.  It does take several hundred miles to break it in though...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 20 queries.