Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 08 tuning options  (Read 5718 times)

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
08 tuning options
« on: November 11, 2007, 10:54:21 PM »

I was at a dealer showcase this weekend in Reno where there were reps from all the major manufacures. I asked most all of them about tuning options on the 08's with the Throttle -by-wire. As of this writing the Race Tuner was the only option but starting this week Vance and Hines will have the Fuel Pak for the 08's. Power commander will have there unit released in the next few weeks, Zippers Thundermax w/ autotune early next year.

The aftermarket is catching up!.

Also Wild One "Chubbies" bars will be shipping ready for the Throttle by Wire system in the next 30-60 Days. Good news for those that want to put the 575's on the Glides.

jackyass

• fort worth, texas
Re: 08 tuning options
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 09:36:18 PM »

Is the new se race tuner for 08 fly by wire out yet.  both hd shops in my area are still waiting for the up-grade version.  my dyno guy says be patient,
he expects to have it in a couple of weeks.  says the curent tuner, 32107-01h
will only get about a 60% tune.  does this sound right to you????
         jackie.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 09:37:40 PM »

Is the new se race tuner for 08 fly by wire out yet.  both hd shops in my area are still waiting for the up-grade version.  my dyno guy says be patient,
         jackie.

I have used the H version on the 08's without problem. Never heard of an issue with it.

springer-

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 1981 FXSS
    • CVO2: 1983 FXRT
    • Big Boyz Head Porting
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 11:53:00 PM »

I feel the SERT in the right hands will out tune them all.  The '08 version has been out for some time.  I don't understand the "60%" comment. 

jackyass

• fort worth, texas
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 08:15:04 AM »

i barley know what a sert is, so have no good info on my own.  i was told that because of the throttle by wire, the throttle has a slower response than a direct cable throttle, which messes with the software, and that harley is working fast to upgrade the soft ware.  this may be all crap, i don't know, maby someone with tech knowledge can check this out and report back.  if not i wil shut up about it.     thanks, jackie

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 09:31:19 AM »

It is true that there is some slightly noticable lag in the throttle response with the TBW. FYI the SERT is an ECM tuning interface. I'm not an HD tech either so maybe it is true that there is an upgrade coming to the SERT. HD typically updates it yearly anyway. The tuners that I now that have used it including myself have not had issues though.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 03:32:47 PM »

jackie.

Having the H version of the Race Tuner really doesnt say much what is important is what is the version of the Software that the tuner has?   There is a difference between the version of the race tuner being sold and the version of the software that comes with the race tuner.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

springer-

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member

• Big Boyz Head Porting
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 12:39:42 AM »

i was told that because of the throttle by wire, the throttle has a slower response than a direct cable throttle, which messes with the software, and that Harley is working fast to upgrade the soft ware.

I believe this is a misconception about the TBW.  The throttle response is not any slower than a traditional cable throttle.  I'll try to explain......

Here is the scenario.  A new '08 with TBW is on a dyno.  The air cleaner is removed.  A dyno operator twists the throttle and watches the throttle plates in the throttle body.  The engine starts to rev up and the throttle plates open slowly even though the dyno operator has the hand grip at wide open throttle.  The dyno operator then ASSUMES the servo is slow or that the system is lagging behind.

Here is what really is happening....

The EFI system knows the engine can't use all the air at that RPM/load range and if it were to open up fully it would actually hurt the performance. Kind of like the way a CV carb works. When you whack the throttle wide open and the engine is at 1500 RPM's, the EFI will not allow a throttle position of more than 30%. Then as the engine revs increase and hit 1750 RPM's it allows the throttle to go to 40% and so on. The EFI doesn't allow 100% throttle until the engine hits 2750 RPM's. If all that is being observed is the throttle plate to hand grip position it would look like the plate is lagging behind and holding back the RPM's or Torque or performance, it isn't.

Here is a comparison at wide open throttle between the Street Legal Stage 1 (green line), the SERT Stage 1 (blue line) and the SERT Tuned Map (yellow line). Remember the Throttle By Wire doesn't allow 100% throttle plate opening until 2750 RPM. Note on this graph the RPM starts at 2000, well below the 2750 RPM required for 100% throttle position. At 2000 RPM there is a 14lb Torque gain over SL stage 1.  At 2000 RPM's the max throttle position is only 60%.  In this example the engine is a '08 Stock 96" with stock cams.  The only mods were Air Cleaner and Independent dual exhaust.

Here is the complete chart showing the numerical Torque gains from the SERT Stage 1 to the dyno tuned map used in the above graph.  The chart shows throttle position VS. RPM.

The blank cells in the upper right side are throttle positions that could not be obtained at the given RPM.  The blank cells in the left/lower left side are throttle position that could not produce enough torque/hp to obtain an accurate sample.

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 06:16:01 AM »

springer, yous guys are having some fun with the new dyno room?  i like the way yall sunk the dyno into the floor.

so--------with DBW, it appears data logs are the only way to look at throttle position/rpm . i guess no more tape around the handlebar :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

springer-

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member

• Big Boyz Head Porting
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 12:47:07 PM »

springer, yous guys are having some fun with the new dyno room?  i like the way yall sunk the dyno into the floor.

so--------with DBW, it appears data logs are the only way to look at throttle position/rpm . i guess no more tape around the handlebar :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

The "new" dyno room is into its second year now, where have you been  ;D

Flush to the floor has really worked out well.

The only way I would look at throttle position when using a SERT is with the data mode.  The TBW is much more sensitive and responsive which makes it a bit more of a challenge to hold a steady throttle position but nothing a little practice won't solve.

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 06:17:43 AM »

The "new" dyno room is into its second year now, where have you been  ;D

Flush to the floor has really worked out well.

The only way I would look at throttle position when using a SERT is with the data mode.  The TBW is much more sensitive and responsive which makes it a bit more of a challenge to hold a steady throttle position but nothing a little practice won't solve.

where have i been?  busy! i clicked on the webcam thingy and saw yall standing around, everything looked new! oh, BTW, i really dig what you have done with the website ! bean told me you had like 10,000 hrs in it-------------great format.

back on subject, is there any tuning shortcomings with the 08 ecm/ SERT that you have discovered?  any new options? or is 08 SERT basically the same as it has been ?

thanks, even if you do ride a shovel,  :huepfenlol2:

jackyass

• fort worth, texas
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2007, 09:08:04 AM »

talked with my dealer yesterday.  the new 08 software version for the SERT is now out.  he has 20 ordered, and still has 15 of the older version in stock.  the p/n # for the new disc is 32117-01L.  should allow a more accurate tune for the TB wire bikes. 

WVULTRA

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2007, 09:30:52 AM »

talked with my dealer yesterday.  the new 08 software version for the SERT is now out.  he has 20 ordered, and still has 15 of the older version in stock.  the p/n # for the new disc is 32117-01L.  should allow a more accurate tune for the TB wire bikes. 

jackyass:  You may have mis-understood the Dealer.  Latest software(disc) that's out for the SERT is 32117-01N.  The complete SERT Tuning Kit is 32107-01L.

Very confusing, huh?   ;)

From Zanotti's parts inventory:

32092-98 S.E. PLUG WIRE KIT
32093-98 SE PLUG WIRE KIT BLACK
32107-01L EFI RACE TUNER KIT
32108-06 KIT EFI RACE TUNER CABLE
3210A SOCKET HEAD SCREW
32117-01H CD ROM
32117-01J CD ROM
32117-01N CD-ROM
32124-04 KIT IGNITION RACE TUNER
'07 Ultra Classic
Axtell Mountain Motor 107" 
Baisley Stage II Heads
HPI 48 Conversion TB
SE Intake w/Zippers Max-Flow
Rinehart Tru Duals
TTS MasterTune
'08 Brembo Conversion

jackyass

• fort worth, texas
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2007, 08:13:39 AM »

thanks for the straight scoop on those part #'s.  I have been trying to come up with the new info for 3 months, after a small independent  dyno guy here in fort worth told me that a new version was coming out, and to wait so he can give my bike the best tune possible.
  thanks again,   jackie

springer-

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member

• Big Boyz Head Porting
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2007, 05:22:19 PM »

thanks for the straight scoop on those part #'s.  I have been trying to come up with the new info for 3 months, after a small independent  dyno guy here in fort worth told me that a new version was coming out, and to wait so he can give my bike the best tune possible.
  thanks again,   jackie

The first version of the SERT for the '08 is fine to use with the '08, version 4.7.6.  The 4.7.6 version has a problem communicating with ECM's in '05 model year bikes.  The new version of the SERT 4.7.7 corrects the problem with the '05's.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.355 seconds with 20 queries.