Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: NEW SEAT!  (Read 6136 times)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: NEW SEAT!
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2008, 11:50:39 AM »

Hey JC, does the Corbin you rode to the right Coast have a backrest?  And do any of your many seats have 'heat' in them?  Just wondering.... :-\...spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2008, 12:13:17 PM »

Yes, both the original Corbin and the one that I bought from Van both have backrests in them.  The latest seat also has a key lock to minamize theft.

The original seat was heated front and rear (p-pad is seperate and can be used or not).  I didn't use it much.  It's not t-stat controlled so you're constantly turning it off and on.   This seat doesn't have heat.  With the Gerbing heated clothes, I don't miss it at all.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2008, 12:18:11 PM »

Yes, both the original Corbin and the one that I bought from Van both have backrests in them.  The latest seat also has a key lock to minamize theft.

The original seat was heated front and rear (p-pad is seperate and can be used or not).  I didn't use it much.  It's not t-stat controlled so you're constantly turning it off and on.   This seat doesn't have heat.  With the Gerbing heated clothes, I don't miss it at all.

JC, I remember you had your original seat made while you were there.  Did you have them or were they able to switch the pillion separately?  All the Corbins I've seen weren't that way.  Front and back both on at the same time on the same switch.  Would be nice to have separate control for the rear though.  If for no other reason than a little less pull on the charging system if no one is back there.

REGGAB

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2008, 02:22:37 PM »

JC, I remember you had your original seat made while you were there.  Did you have them or were they able to switch the pillion separately?  All the Corbins I've seen weren't that way.  Front and back both on at the same time on the same switch.  Would be nice to have separate control for the rear though.  If for no other reason than a little less pull on the charging system if no one is back there.

OK, another reason.  Renea prefers to have the pillion heated more often than I prefer to have the saddle heated.

If I've done this right, 2ln will have to work a little more to extract sexual innuendo  At any rate, I want a heated Corbin with dual switches, but AK-20s are the priority right now. 

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2008, 04:02:04 PM »

Hey Don,

Haven't done any scientific studies, but it seems that my seat may have at least a pressure switch in the back. With the heat on and no rider I have not been able to feel any heat on the back part.

Also, I emailed this outfit
http://www.motorcyclehotseat.com/

about adding heat to my backrest and the tourpac backrest.
They said they have done it in the past. So I will be sending them more detailed questions.

I would prefer the heat on the lower back before the seat and my wife's eyes lit up when I told her I was looking into heating the backrest.
She lives with some type of heat almost all the time.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2008, 10:18:14 PM »

Hey Don,

Haven't done any scientific studies, but it seems that my seat may have at least a pressure switch in the back. With the heat on and no rider I have not been able to feel any heat on the back part.

They said they have done it in the past. So I will be sending them more detailed questions.

I would prefer the heat on the lower back before the seat and my wife's eyes lit up when I told her I was looking into heating the backrest.

Interesting.  Mine is definitely not butt sensitive.  Turn it on and it's warm everywhere.  No tushie required.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2008, 12:05:18 AM »

Hey Don,

Corbin has put the heaters in the backrest, too.  At least they will if you take it to them.  They'll do pretty much anything custom, like that, if you take it to them.  Not sure if they do that kind of stuff mail order.  When I asked them about that, they told me they can heat just about any surface that they can get that heating pad in to.  You can actually see the pad in that slide show of them making my seat.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2008, 12:06:10 AM »

Mine is definitely not butt sensitive. 

Interesting, in the next day or two I'll try it with "no butt" activated, see what it does.

MV 2013

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2008, 12:24:00 AM »

Corbin has put the heaters in the backrest, too. 

Could definitely live without that.  If for no other reason than to avoid the bit of wire that would have to be exposed.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2008, 12:41:44 AM »

Could definitely live without that.  If for no other reason than to avoid the bit of wire that would have to be exposed.

Already have a harness coming out of the tourpak.

I will be re-wiring it shortly, adding a Deutcshe 12 pin bulkhead connector for all the other crap. This way the wire can go from the backrest to the inside of the tourpak.

MV 2013

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2008, 01:02:09 AM »

I will be re-wiring it shortly, adding a Deutcshe 12 pin bulkhead connector for all the other crap. This way the wire can go from the backrest to the inside of the tourpak.

The one bike that I actually saw in person, that had the backrest heated was an Ultra Classic and they ran the wiring through the tour pack and along with the rest of the wiring from the tour pack.

I don't have heated backrest and don't need it (we have the Gerbing) but if I were to do it, I'd just run it with the wiring for the LED lights in the spoiler with the quick release plug such as you mention.  For somebody whose wanting it (or needing it for medical reasons), shouldn't be a big issue.

West Coast GTG   

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2008, 01:16:48 AM »

Getting the backrest will be the main job, the wiring will be the easy part.

MV 2013

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2008, 07:56:29 AM »

Is there no end to the creature comforts you bikers will add to these high end scooters?  :-\ har! :huepfenlol2:  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2008, 08:15:20 AM »

That would be the easier one.   Was thinking more of a lead dropped down the post of the rider's backrest.

I'm very likely not thinking this through.  But not sure the little warm spot that would be supplied by the backrest would be all that great of an assist.  Perhaps the big pad on a King Tour Pak going shoulder to shoulder.  All the others are a pretty small contact patch though.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2008, 06:07:27 PM »

Was thinking more of a lead dropped down the post of the rider's backrest.

Your right, with the Corbin that wold be a little more difficult. With the stock seat I can get my whole hand down between the seat sections, so that would be easy to hide the wires.
The Corbin you can't even pull up on the seat pan to stuff wires.
So the rider backrest will be a bit more of a challenge.

But not sure the little warm spot that would be supplied by the backrest would be all that great of an assist. 

Once you start using heat for what ails you you want to stay with it.
My wife uses heat year round, supplemented by ice. Go figure.

MV 2013

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 20 queries.