Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: AMA strikes back at IIHS Report  (Read 1029 times)

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
AMA strikes back at IIHS Report
« on: November 29, 2007, 10:47:08 AM »

A few months back, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety issued a report suggesting that “sport-styled” motorcycles are considerably more dangerous than other types of motorcycles. “Motorcyclists who ride supersports have driver death rates per 10,000 registered motorcycles nearly four times higher than rates for motorcyclists who ride all other types of bikes,” the study stated. The American Motorcycle Association (AMA) took strong offense to the report, calling its conclusions misleading.

The AMA points out that the report isn’t based on any new information. It simply takes its numbers from the national Fatal Accident Reporting System (FARS). By utilizing this data, says the AMA, the IIHS’s study “has made no attempt to determine whether bikes in its ‘supersport’ category are ridden more miles than bikes in the ‘cruiser/standard’ category. Nor has it attempted to determine whether they are used more often in urban areas that represent a more dangerous environment.”

The AMA also suggests that the age of the rider, not the motorcycle itself, may be at the core of the issue. The average age of riders purchasing bikes in the IIHS’s “supersport” category is 27, significantly lower than that of the average motorcyclist, regardless of the type of bike he rides. “In other words, it’s entirely possible this report actually demonstrates that younger, less-experienced riders are more prone to crash than older riders, regardless of the type of bike they're riding,” said Ed Moreland, vice president of public affairs for the AMA. “And that’s true for all types of motor vehicles.”

For more information, check out the IIHS’s report http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr091107.html and the AMA’s response http://home.ama-cycle.org/newsroom/amarelease.asp?rnum=A07017.
- By Craig Fitzgerald

« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 10:48:39 AM by Rjob749 »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: AMA strikes back at IIHS Report
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 12:21:43 PM »

AMA accusing someone else of cooking the numbers to make a point is like Daimler telling Chrysler's new ownership to treat the company with kindness.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 01:58:41 PM »

The original conclusion makes sense, How can sport bike operators get more riding experience when they are always dying in crashes.  That's why the average age is 27.  It's a classic "Catch 22"   :nixweiss:
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Break-In

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Anniversary Edition 513/900
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO3: 1997 FXSTC
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 03:27:37 PM »

today its age tomorrow it will old men are the cause, who cares!

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 05:22:33 PM »

AMA accusing someone else of cooking the numbers to make a point is like Daimler telling Chrysler's new ownership to treat the company with kindness.

Oh?

UglyJohn

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 06:30:27 PM »

The original conclusion makes sense, How can sport bike operators get more riding experience when they are always dying in crashes.  That's why the average age is 27.  It's a classic "Catch 22"   :nixweiss:

For some reason, while I'm on pain medication I might add, this makes sense... I'll look at it again in a few hours and see if it still makes sense.  :nixweiss: All I know is that I'm an old fart and I don't want anyone looking at my age bracket. At my age we die from exhaustion just polishing up the chrome.  :huepfenlol2:
Ugly John
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 07:00:50 PM »

For some reason, while I'm on pain medication I might add, this makes sense... I'll look at it again in a few hours and see if it still makes sense.  :nixweiss: All I know is that I'm an old fart and I don't want anyone looking at my age bracket. At my age we die from exhaustion just polishing up the chrome.  :huepfenlol2:
Ugly John

Then you alone raise the average age for the HD operator and skew the IIHS data.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 24 queries.