Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 110" oil cooler question  (Read 5572 times)

atlasfields

• CVO1: 2008 FXDSE2- In red of course!
110" oil cooler question
« on: December 04, 2007, 05:52:05 PM »

Since the 110" runs so hot, does it make sense to add an oil cooler?  I've seen some installs using a twin cylinders type cooler mounted to the down tubes.

Thanks in advance!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely, in a pretty and well perserved body.
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming; "Wow... That was one hell of a ride!" ~ Unknown

vagabond6542

Re: 110" oil cooler question
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 06:17:03 PM »

Some 110's have oil coolers install at the factory. It depends on the model that was bought.
BTW, the engine still runs hot.

atlasfields

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 07:32:37 PM »

Some 110's have oil coolers install at the factory. It depends on the model that was bought.
BTW, the engine still runs hot.

I have an 08 FXDSE2 and over the winter I'm adding a Thundermax w/ Autotune, Fatcat 2-1 and the S&S single bore A/E.  I thought since the 110" is such a hot runner, the T-max and an oil cooler would be beneficial.  Am I wasting my time ($$ too) with an oil cooler?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely, in a pretty and well perserved body.
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming; "Wow... That was one hell of a ride!" ~ Unknown

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 07:34:09 PM »

I have an 08 FXDSE2 and over the winter I'm adding a Thundermax w/ Autotune, Fatcat 2-1 and the S&S single bore A/E.  I thought since the 110" is such a hot runner, the T-max and an oil cooler would be beneficial.  Am I wasting my time ($$ too) with an oil cooler?

The oil cooler will make very little difference in the engine temperature. These engines are air-cooled, not air/oil-cooled.

:indian_chief:

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 07:38:28 AM »

They are certainly air and oil cooled.  The oil does the majority of moving heat from the hottest parts to the cooler parts. That's why they squirt oil at the underside of the pistons.  Anything you can do to cool the oil will cool the engine.  Whether an oil cooler is the way to go is the question.  It will have the least effect when you need it most - when stopped.  But it does add additional surface area to convect and radiate heat, so has some benefit even then.  For that situation, larger is better.  The twin tube thing that looks like a stack of quarters with dimes between them that mounts on the downtubes is good - more surface area and located in a relatively cool spot at the front rather than tucked in a shroud next to the case like the factory one. 
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 08:34:17 AM »

They are certainly air and oil cooled.  The oil does the majority of moving heat from the hottest parts to the cooler parts. That's why they squirt oil at the underside of the pistons.  Anything you can do to cool the oil will cool the engine.  Whether an oil cooler is the way to go is the question.  It will have the least effect when you need it most - when stopped.  But it does add additional surface area to convect and radiate heat, so has some benefit even then.  For that situation, larger is better.  The twin tube thing that looks like a stack of quarters with dimes between them that mounts on the downtubes is good - more surface area and located in a relatively cool spot at the front rather than tucked in a shroud next to the case like the factory one. 

You are correct in the fact that some parts use oil for cooling, but the pistons are the only ones that are actively cooled with oil. The heads and cylinders rely on air for their cooling, not oil. While it is a fact that oil passing over a hot surface will absorb some heat from that surface, the overall effect on the heat of the motor is negligible. If this wasn't the case, oil coolers would be standard on all models, not just some.

Maybe someday we'll an air/oil cooled Harley, like the Bimmers, but we're not there now.

:indian_chief:

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 11:25:36 AM »

The engine is a air cooled item for the most part, but if you drive the oil temps up the engine is then being soaked with oil , and it has a harder time to cool back down. So if you are able to keep the oil cooler then it is pulling heat from the engine, or at least not driving the engine temp up. The four row coolers are nice the only thing I do not like is the filter adapter that likes to spin loose and then leak oil.  Some times you can get them to stay tight and others well they like to come lose every time you change the oil.  Lower the oil temps will not cause you any issues.
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

atlasfields

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 08:08:26 PM »

Okay gents, so the consenses is the oil cooler will work to help the lower the engine temp, but marginally?

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 07:04:48 AM »

It will, but the first thing would be to correct the things that make it run hot to begin with, mostly the lean mixture.  That will make it run better overall.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

atlasfields

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 07:14:34 AM »

Excellant, thanks everyone.  I'm hoping the Thundermax will solve the lean mixture issue.   :drink:

radavi98

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 10:15:59 AM »

Even with the upgrades and the oil cooler, it will still run hot especially in parade or idle mode.     AS long as I am at speed, the temp is not an issue.  The problem comes with little to no air flow.  I have heard that the aftermarket fan replacement for the stock horn cover works for helping to reduce temps as well as some DIY fan addition to the oil cooler itself.  But when the engine is knocking in traffic and the digital dipstick is over 285,  its Miller time that cools it the best  :drink:
After all the money spent, I refuse to more on additional parts!!!   Except air filter, Exhaust, Power commander.........well, maybe a few more things.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 11:17:11 AM »

An oil cooler can't hurt, but if you think about it, the cooler is least affective when you needed it most. Because the oil cooler relies on airflow it doesn't do much at low speeds or at a stop.  I think the lean condition of the motor, and timing will affect the heat the most. Use good oil to help protect your motor.

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2007, 11:39:10 AM »

This isn't an isolated 110 problem, either.  It's happening with all the 96/110 motors.  We had 2 stock Ultras for the last 2 wks.  Burned the inside of our left thighs on both bikes at anything less than highway speeds.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2007, 09:02:28 PM »

One thing that hasn't been touched on with the oil cooler is the added oil capacity. You gain about a 1/2 qt. with the cooler and lines. More oil pumping through is always a good thing. Oil coolers will typically lower the oil temp about 20 degrees.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2007, 11:41:52 PM »

Yep, I'd heard approx. 15 degrees.......so, maybe there's something to that 15 to 20 degree deal.  I know they can't do anything but help on these hot motors, unless it's not letting the motor get warm enough in the cold temp. days to have the oil function as it's designed to do.  And on the air cooled vs. oil cooled debate........It's BOTH, but if you don't believe that it's air cooled, explain why the rear cyl. on a "V" Twin always runs hotter.  :'( har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 24 queries.