Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Author Topic: When a Jester Loses His Head....  (Read 13177 times)

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
Re: When a Jester Loses His Head....
« Reply #90 on: December 21, 2007, 10:36:23 AM »

Same offer go for a garage??  :nixweiss:

If you'll buy the lumber from me...FOB clinton of course.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Tbone

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO3: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #91 on: December 21, 2007, 10:39:21 AM »

I spoke with Sumax this AM and I have to say I'm impressed with their story. I'll wait until after christmas to speak with their PC guy, Kevin, and get some chips from him. They explained that they de-burr the frame, smoothing out all of Harley's globbed up welds and splatter. I think I need to see some pictures to believe they get it all as smooth as they claim they do. I mean, there's a lot of crappy looking welds on that frame.

Prices are $518 for the frame, $162 for the swing arm and $80 for the lower triple. Then a $65 crating charge plus frt to GA. By me not having to take posession and doing my own de-burr, that will save many days and dollars.

If the color match is as good as they claim. I think this is the best way to go.  ;D

:indian_chief:

Chuck, it sounds like you learned something from your bolt experience.  ;D
2014 FLHTKSE Stardust Silver/Autumn Sunset
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary
2009 FLTRSE3 Orange/Black
2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary
2003 FLHRCI Silver/Black

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2007, 10:40:48 AM »

I spoke with Sumax this AM and I have to say I'm impressed with their story. I'll wait until after christmas to speak with their PC guy, Kevin, and get some chips from him. They explained that they de-burr the frame, smoothing out all of Harley's globbed up welds and splatter. I think I need to see some pictures to believe they get it all as smooth as they claim they do. I mean, there's a lot of crappy looking welds on that frame.

Prices are $518 for the frame, $162 for the swing arm and $80 for the lower triple. Then a $65 crating charge plus frt to GA. By me not having to take posession and doing my own de-burr, that will save many days and dollars.

If the color match is as good as they claim. I think this is the best way to go.  ;D

Might be able to help at least a little bit there Chuck.  PM me your mailing address. 

When doing my recent work with them Kevin told me they currently have only one candy red option.  Lots of other reds apparently.  But only one candy red.  I've got two chips of that color still here.  They call it "Apple Spice."  Will put them in the mail to you ASAP.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #93 on: December 21, 2007, 11:02:48 AM »

Chuck, it sounds like you learned something from your bolt experience.  ;D

Yes I did.  ;D

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #94 on: December 21, 2007, 01:08:29 PM »

Candy,

I've always been a big DIY guy and that's one thing that attracted me to Harley. A mere mortal can work on a Harley and I like that. I also like getting paid shop rate to work in my own basement.  ;D

I like working on my bike also but don't know I would be brave enough or patient enough to do what you're doing.  But like you said getting paid shop rate in your garage is pretty nice and you'll know it is done to your satisfaction.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #95 on: December 21, 2007, 02:00:14 PM »

I like working on my bike also but don't know I would be brave enough or patient enough to do what you're doing.  But like you said getting paid shop rate in your garage is pretty nice and you'll know it is done to your satisfaction.

It's really amazing how few bolts are involved in going from a complete motorcycle to just a pile of parts. I didn't count, but I don't think it would be much over 100, if that many.  ;D

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #96 on: December 21, 2007, 04:24:07 PM »

It's really amazing how few bolts are involved in going from a complete motorcycle to just a pile of parts. I didn't count, but I don't think it would be much over 100, if that many.  ;D

Wow.  I guess leafing through the service manual kind of makes one timid.  How are you going to get the engine into the new frame.  That's going to call for some help for sure.

IBA member # 45520

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #97 on: December 21, 2007, 06:28:45 PM »

Wow.  I guess leafing through the service manual kind of makes one timid.  How are you going to get the engine into the new frame.  That's going to call for some help for sure.

If you want the smart a$$ answer, here it is...Hopefully without any damage to the frame.

Specifically I don't know. I've never done it before. Right now, the engine and tranny is all that is left in the frame. I'm sure we'll figure out something next week when we go to pull it. Pictures may show a bit of redneck inginooity being put into play.  ;D

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #98 on: December 21, 2007, 07:43:14 PM »

If you want the smart a$$ answer, here it is...Hopefully without any damage to the frame.

Specifically I don't know. I've never done it before. Right now, the engine and tranny is all that is left in the frame. I'm sure we'll figure out something next week when we go to pull it. Pictures may show a bit of redneck inginooity being put into play.  ;D

Don't know what that bugger weighs but I guarantee you it is HEAVY. 

IBA member # 45520

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #99 on: December 21, 2007, 08:09:54 PM »

Another thing to check is Car Fax. Hopefully there is no report from the insurance company on the frame replacement. I haven't checked whether they have that for motorcycle's or not like they do for cars. Anyway good luck with it.

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #100 on: December 21, 2007, 08:33:35 PM »

Mi amigo Chief...I am very impressed with your mechanical skills :2vrolijk_21:....wow.congras!!  Please send pics when you start putting back all the pieces....hopefully you will use all of them!!

Merry Christmas to you and Pinkie mi amigo

Jorge

BigMike

• GA

« Reply #101 on: December 26, 2007, 08:36:30 AM »

Shouldn't be a problem.  But I believe the (leaking) heads/jugs need to be removed.  Good time to send the motor out for a 113"/Timken upgrade.   :D
2000 FXR4

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #102 on: December 26, 2007, 11:03:21 AM »

Shouldn't be a problem.  But I believe the (leaking) heads/jugs need to be removed.  Good time to send the motor out for a 113"/Timken upgrade.   :D

Yeah Chief, the motor is already going to be out of the frame (while the frame is being custom painted or powder coated), so it only makes sense to do a motor build now, right  :2vrolijk_21:........come on don't miss this opportunity to spend $$$$.  After all, you can't take it with you...might as well go all the way with the custom project, right?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 24 queries.