Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Author Topic: When a Jester Loses His Head....  (Read 13259 times)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Re: When a Jester Loses His Head....
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2007, 08:18:52 AM »

Damn Chuck, you're a brave or foolish man.  I think it is the former and you'll get it all back together.  Can't wait to see the finished product.

Jerry,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm looking forward to the finished project too. Once the frame situation is cleared up, pieces can start going back on.

:indian_chief:

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2007, 08:22:03 AM »

From my understanding, they can't blend powder to get an exact paint match like they can paint...I've been told that from two different vendors when trying to match the slate color on my bike for the jugs.  It's not as exact a science as blending paint   :nixweiss:  I would think that if you let your painter do the color with a few coats of a good, hard, clear over it, that it would be pretty durable and any nicks would never get down into the painted layers.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2007, 08:23:26 AM »

Chuck, hopefully this is the last time you'll be doing this for a long time. If you want to change the frame color, get it powder coated. They can match your paint color with the powder coat. That means you can touch it up anyway when necessary. But it will hold up better powder coated. Leave it alone or powder coat it. From seeing many bikes done both ways over the years, that's MO! ;)

I'm surprised they didn't build your frame, then hold it hostage until you gave them the neck back when you picked up the new frame. I never heard of them asking for it upfront. Sometimes, you even get both for a short time, with the threat of a $5K penalty over your head if it's not returned promptly. They do that with dealers and shops. Maybe not private parties. With your bike apart anyway, it probably didn't effect you either way.

The new paint scheme looks beautiful. Enjoy putting it all back together again. You now have a chance to build your bike properly! Take your time, get it right, and enjoy every minute of it! Good luck man! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

We haven't even talked to Harley yet about the frame. The neck is already in the mail to Jenni and we'll get the frame ordered next week.

I guess I need to find a good frame powder coater. Sure would be nice to find one that could powder coat Candy Apple Red.  ;D

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2007, 08:28:56 AM »

From my understanding, they can't blend powder to get an exact paint match like they can paint...I've been told that from two different vendors when trying to match the slate color on my bike for the jugs.  It's not as exact a science as blending paint   :nixweiss:  I would think that if you let your painter do the color with a few coats of a good, hard, clear over it, that it would be pretty durable and any nicks would never get down into the painted layers.

Terry,

You're right, powder will never match the color variations of paint. You can get close, but not exact. As you can tell, I'm bouncing back and forth like a ping-pong ball. The hardest hit parts are the cross members and down tubes. On this bike, I covered the forward facing edges of the cross members with 3M paint film. I peeled them off and the underlying finish was 100%. That would be my plan on protecting painted parts.

If I was only doing a show bike, it would be paint 100%. Since I plan on riding it a lot and not turning it into a trailer queen, the durability of powder is attractive.  What's aguy to do? :nixweiss:

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2007, 08:43:08 AM »

My only concern, Chuck, would be that the frame, in some places, is so close to the other painted parts (side covers come to mind), that if the color was not REAL close, it would stick out like a knot on a dog's _ _ _ _

Of course, I'm just repeating what I've been told and have no first hand experience, so take it with a grain of salt.  The only way to know for sure is to get some powder coated METAL samples.  I had Sumax send me some for comparison to the slate on my bike, and of course the color I need is in between the two they offer, so that is a no go.  The cylinders are just too close to the lowers for it to suit me.

I'm sure your painter has some experience with similar situations, so can be a lot more help in sorting this out in your head.  The 3M film is another great option on the paint.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2007, 09:33:46 AM »

I'd like to contact some frame coaters. Does anyone have any contacts?  ;D

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2007, 09:39:40 AM »

Chuck, an acquaintaince of mine in north Georgia had his street rod frame and parts done at this place in Atlanta: 

Color options were not infinite.  But they had a lot.  The work was also very good.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2007, 09:53:33 AM »

Chuck, an acquaintaince of mine in north Georgia had his street rod frame and parts done at this place in Atlanta: 

Color options were not infinite.  But they had a lot.  The work was also very good.

:2vrolijk_21:

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2007, 10:17:12 AM »

Like everyone else has already said, the opportunity to paint the frame has a HUGE impact on the way your bike will look. 

Especially since it is red, it will look fantastic.  Even though Pete's (PJ57) bike was a bagger, like yours, the red frame stood out a lot.  A definite must do since you are already there anyway.  I am wondering though, why are you doing all the work yourself?  Why not have a shop do all the hard work?  If insurance is paying anyway.  Just wondering.  Not that they would do near as good a job as you will.  I just can't imagine what it was like to have to cut the head off your own bike. 

Tbone

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO3: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2007, 10:18:29 AM »

I'd like to contact some frame coaters. Does anyone have any contacts?  ;D

Chuck,

Check with Biker's Dream too, my boss had some chrome work done by them for his Corvette.  I bet they do powder coating too.

Bob
2014 FLHTKSE Stardust Silver/Autumn Sunset
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary
2009 FLTRSE3 Orange/Black
2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary
2003 FLHRCI Silver/Black

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2007, 10:20:49 AM »

Like everyone else has already said, the opportunity to paint the frame has a HUGE impact on the way your bike will look. 

Especially since it is red, it will look fantastic.  Even though Pete's (PJ57) bike was a bagger, like yours, the red frame stood out a lot.  A definite must do since you are already there anyway.  I am wondering though, why are you doing all the work yourself?  Why not have a shop do all the hard work?  If insurance is paying anyway.  Just wondering.  Not that they would do near as good a job as you will.  I just can't imagine what it was like to have to cut the head off your own bike. 

Candy,

I've always been a big DIY guy and that's one thing that attracted me to Harley. A mere mortal can work on a Harley and I like that. I also like getting paid shop rate to work in my own basement.  ;D

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2007, 10:21:24 AM »

Chuck,

Check with Biker's Dream too, my boss had some chrome work done by them for his Corvette.  I bet they do powder coating too.

Bob

Good one.  :2vrolijk_21:

Thanks.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2007, 10:24:21 AM »

Candy,

I've always been a big DIY guy and that's one thing that attracted me to Harley. A mere mortal can work on a Harley and I like that. I also like getting paid shop rate to work in my own basement.  ;D

If you need some help whenever you're putting it back together, I could be hired for room and board. I'll even bring my own SawZall.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Tbone

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO3: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #88 on: December 21, 2007, 10:32:58 AM »

If you need some help whenever you're putting it back together, I could be hired for room and board. I'll even bring my own SawZall.

Same offer go for a garage??  :nixweiss:
2014 FLHTKSE Stardust Silver/Autumn Sunset
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary
2009 FLTRSE3 Orange/Black
2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary
2003 FLHRCI Silver/Black

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2007, 10:34:20 AM »

I spoke with Sumax this AM and I have to say I'm impressed with their story. I'll wait until after christmas to speak with their PC guy, Kevin, and get some chips from him. They explained that they de-burr the frame, smoothing out all of Harley's globbed up welds and splatter. I think I need to see some pictures to believe they get it all as smooth as they claim they do. I mean, there's a lot of crappy looking welds on that frame.

Prices are $518 for the frame, $162 for the swing arm and $80 for the lower triple. Then a $65 crating charge plus frt to GA. By me not having to take posession and doing my own de-burr, that will save many days and dollars.

If the color match is as good as they claim. I think this is the best way to go.  ;D

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 21 queries.