Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: D&D Fatcat's 2 into 1--Quiet Standard or Quiet Performance ?  (Read 8772 times)

SirMichael

• Senior CVO Member
  • Non Riding for the moment!!
Re: D&D Fatcat's 2 into 1--Quiet Standard or Quiet Performance ?
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2008, 01:06:35 PM »

KD, I've got the "standard" quiet baffle.  No performance baffle. I'm only interested in bottom end and making that as good as I can while not paying any more noise penalty than I have to.

When it goes back together the combination will be the FatCat 2-1s, HTCC CNC ported heads, Axtell 3 15/16" cylinders for 107" with their pistons to match and head work done to match the cylinders and pistons, Mackie's 598 cam and a 50mm throttle body and intake.
Just curious, why are you going with the HTCC CNC ported heads? I used the 103+ heads and they seemed to work really well!!

MIKE :vrolijk_10:

StreetDog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE RED STREET GLIDE
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHXSE SPICED RUM
    • CVO3: 2007 FLHRSE3 RAZOR RED
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2008, 06:54:57 PM »

2Lane, I wonder what the performance gains ( if any ) are for the quiet performance baffles compared to the quiet standard baffle ( I think Hoist said it was about 6 or 7 hp ) and I wonder how restrictive the quiet standard baffles are compared to the stock pipes? Any idea ?   I am doing similar mods and can't determine which baffle would be best. I would like to go with a quieter baffle if it will work well with this setup and not choke the mods down. What have you found out. Not really looking for THE MOST hp , looking more for torque.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2008, 12:01:24 AM »

Just curious, why are you going with the HTCC CNC ported heads? I used the 103+ heads and they seemed to work really well!!

The head choice was based on three things.

First was the least important (though not entirely insignificant) since they were going to be retouched by the machine shop anyway (though only minimally).  This was that the general trend of all the homework said the HTCC ported versions were just a bit better at the bottom end. 

Second and very important factor was that Axtell had a strong recommendation of that head as a mate to their 3 15/16" cylinders.  The machining bringing the jug/pistons and the heads together was in detail with this combination.  Since this followed in step with the general trends of the homework and research that was part of #1 there wasn't a strong reason to look much elsewhere.

Third (and given the first two this clinched it) I got a chance to get a set at a really good deal.  Someone I know around here had gotten way too deep in to an engine build.  His wife told him he'd spent way too much.  So much too much that he'd be sleeping on the couch if he didn't recoup some.  So I traded him a set of take offs from a 96" and a fair bit less than half the new cost of the CNC ported HTCCs for the new heads.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 12:07:31 AM »

2Lane, I wonder what the performance gains ( if any ) are for the quiet performance baffles compared to the quiet standard baffle ( I think Hoist said it was about 6 or 7 hp ) and I wonder how restrictive the quiet standard baffles are compared to the stock pipes? Any idea ?   I am doing similar mods and can't determine which baffle would be best. I would like to go with a quieter baffle if it will work well with this setup and not choke the mods down. What have you found out. Not really looking for THE MOST hp , looking more for torque.

Can only relate what the D&D people told me.  Two different people there relayed nearly identical information.  For a "smaller" engine like mine they suggest that the quiet baffle will actually be slightly better for the bottom end.  The same baffle they say would be too restrictive for an engine a little bigger. 

Have done a fair amount of homework on this.  Read quite a few dyno charts (though they're only suggestive of trends of course).  Talked to D&D and spoke with a local and gifted tuner along with another I know from elsewhere.

It all suggested that for a build in the range of what I'm doing that the FatCat with the "standard" quiet baffle would be a good choice if the intent is bottom end in and early.  Since I really don't even care what the dyno says above 4500 that bottom end in and early is what I'm after.

SirMichael

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2008, 12:10:55 AM »

The head choice was based on three things.

First was the least important (though not entirely insignificant) since they were going to be retouched by the machine shop anyway (though only minimally).  This was that the general trend of all the homework said the HTCC ported versions were just a bit better at the bottom end. 

Second and very important factor was that Axtell had a strong recommendation of that head as a mate to their 3 15/16" cylinders.  The machining bringing the jug/pistons and the heads together was in detail with this combination.  Since this followed in step with the general trends of the homework and research that was part of #1 there wasn't a strong reason to look much elsewhere.

Third (and given the first two this clinched it) I got a chance to get a set at a really good deal.  Someone I know around here had gotten way too deep in to an engine build.  His wife told him he'd spent way too much.  So much too much that he'd be sleeping on the couch if he didn't recoup some.  So I traded him a set of take offs from a 96" and a fair bit less than half the new cost of the CNC ported HTCCs for the new heads.
I had heard that the HTCC CNC heads were more of a top end head, but I guess they can be any way with different combinations, :nixweiss:
 I used the 103+ heads and they worked great with the combination that I used!! My friend Tom had the HTCC CNC ported heads on his 95 build and the bike was all top end with his combo!! :nixweiss:

Later,

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2008, 12:16:24 AM »

I had heard that the HTCC CNC heads were more of a top end head, but I guess they can be any way with different combinations, :nixweiss:
 I used the 103+ heads and they worked great with the combination that I used!! My friend Tom had the HTCC CNC ported heads on his 95 build and the bike was all top end with his combo!! :nixweiss:

Later,

Most everything I was reading suggested otherwise (when used in a proper combination).  Granted, this is Harley we're talking about; but they're not even marketed as a top end/ horsepower product.  The HT in HTCC is high torque.  Three reputable and national machinists all suggested it as a good option for this goal along with a couple of great tuners.  My own homework beyond seemed to jive with what they were saying.  Sure hope it doesn't suck :huepfenlol2: !

SirMichael

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2008, 12:19:06 AM »

Most everything I was reading suggested otherwise (when used in a proper combination).  Granted, this is Harley we're talking about; but they're not even marketed as a top end/ horsepower product.  The HT in HTCC is high torque.  Three reputable and national machinists all suggested it as a good option for this goal along with a couple of great tuners.  My own homework beyond seemed to jive with what they were saying.  Sure hope it doesn't suck :huepfenlol2: !

:huepfenlol2:  :huepfenlol2:  :huepfenlol2:  :huepfenlol2:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 12:54:21 AM by SirMichael113 »

tommyo

• Throttles on the right!
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2008, 12:55:35 AM »

Had the HTCC ported heads with a S&S 585 cam combo and ran Rineharts TD Not as much TQ as you think. This is on a 95" big bore all HD stuff. It did have a few detonation issues in the beginning. Had to retard the timing in the summer. 4th gear 99.64 hp & 94.32 tq. 5th gear 102.26 hp & 99.04 tq. It did run well and was not beaten by anything but what SirMike had built. His 103 just edged me out but the 113 I just bought from him will kill it. CVO eater for sure!!!
When in doubt... GAS it!!!

Starting over!!

SirMichael

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2008, 12:58:35 AM »

Had the HTCC ported heads with a S&S 585 cam combo and ran Rineharts TD Not as much TQ as you think. This is on a 95" big bore all HD stuff. It did have a few detonation issues in the beginning. Had to retard the timing in the summer. 4th gear 99.64 hp & 94.32 tq. 5th gear 102.26 hp & 99.04 tq. It did run well and was not beaten by anything but what SirMike had built. His 103 just edged me out but the 113 I just bought from him will kill it. CVO eater for sure!!!
[/b] 
                                           Duh!! :zroflmao: :zroflmao: :zroflmao: :zroflmao:

StreetDog

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2008, 10:20:28 PM »

Can only relate what the D&D people told me.  Two different people there relayed nearly identical information.  For a "smaller" engine like mine they suggest that the quiet baffle will actually be slightly better for the bottom end.  The same baffle they say would be too restrictive for an engine a little bigger. 
Have done a fair amount of homework on this.  Read quite a few dyno charts (though they're only suggestive of trends of course).  Talked to D&D and spoke with a local and gifted tuner along with another I know from elsewhere.

It all suggested that for a build in the range of what I'm doing that the FatCat with the "standard" quiet baffle would be a good choice if the intent is bottom end in and early.  Since I really don't even care what the dyno says above 4500 that bottom end in and early is what I'm after.
Does that mean too restrictive for the 110' with a larger TB 50mm or 51mm with 10.5 pistons different cams very minor headwork..?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2008, 10:24:26 PM »

Does that mean too restrictive for the 110' with a larger TB 50mm or 51mm with 10.5 pistons different cams very minor headwork..?

KD, from the several conversation with them and a couple of tuners I'd say no; not even close.  Mine will be 107" with a 50mm tb and static CR about the same and I'm well within the ballpark.

StreetDog

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2008, 10:40:41 PM »

2Lane, thanks for all the info. Looks like I will be going with the standard quiet baffle too. And I too will be finished @ April with all the mods. In the mean time I will be replacing my baffle and will let you know if I can feel any differance between the two before the mods are done. Thanks again.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2008, 10:46:39 PM »

2Lane, thanks for all the info. Looks like I will be going with the standard quiet baffle too. And I too will be finished @ April with all the mods. In the mean time I will be replacing my baffle and will let you know if I can feel any differance between the two before the mods are done. Thanks again.

Thanks KD, the comparisons are always worth noting.  Since we almost never have two machines exactly the same the direct before and after comparisons of a given component are great info.

I've heard the quiet baffle, the quite performance baffle and the kiss-my-ass-that's-loud baffle.  There is a real difference with the quiet baffle.  Should make the radio far more useful and the ears far happier at the end of a long day.  That it does this apparently without hurting torque production makes me a happy camper and looking forward to seeing it in action.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2008, 10:50:55 PM »

Thanks KD, the comparisons are always worth noting.  Since we almost never have two machines exactly the same the direct before and after comparisons of a given component are great info.

I've heard the quiet baffle, the quite performance baffle and the kiss-my-ass-that's-loud baffle.  There is a real difference with the quiet baffle.  Should make the radio far more useful and the ears far happier at the end of a long day.  That it does this apparently without hurting torque production makes me a happy camper and looking forward to seeing it in action.

Is that the "official" name?   ;D
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2008, 11:00:20 PM »

Is that the "official" name?   ;D

Scott, I think the official name was the Binx-can't-believe-it-makes-all-that-racket baffle ??? .
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 25 queries.