Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Invisible wobble cure for flh models  (Read 9982 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Invisible wobble cure for flh models
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2008, 01:00:44 PM »

Like 2Ln, I did a number of mods to mine.  The true track and bushings, Traxxion AK 20 front shocks and 44 Progressive rears.

The combination of all make the bike a really nice handling machine.

As Don said, each thing adds it's own small improvement, although in the case of the AK 20's from Traxxion I would call it a "big" improvement in my case.

Rog, I've not done anything that was more profoundly improving than the Traxxion front end.  From the first moment you get on the bike pulling away from the curb it's just an astounding level of difference. 

It obviously is not going to help any rear initiated wobble.  In case where the dog starts shaking and that leads to the tail wagging, however, it has to help.  The ass end can't follow the front (and start a shake all its own) if the front end is a lot more stable.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 01:01:49 PM »

The most honest answer has got to be yes, no and maybe.  Some experienced no real change at all.  Some experienced significant and immediate improvement.  And some experienced smaller changes at various margins. 

It really does seem to vary bike to bike, and rider to rider.  Can remember a couple of the group having profound wobble/whatever that was nearly all initiated by airflow over the nose. One the front started the rear end tried to keep up.

Much of the shake in the Electra Glides is often air coming up underneath the inside of the fairing and giving it a shove.  That shakes the bars right along with it of course.

For me the the Ride-Str8 thing helped one particular issue.  On long sweepers taken at "moderate" speeds the ass end would often not want to straighten out as quickly as it should.  Would even oversteer a bit at the end of a turn, or at the end of each turn if they were in succession. Enough that a correction had to be made.  It was never bad (at least once you knew it was there).  The new device in the rear made that go away.

That was the only ill behavior I ever had that started in the rear though.  Everything else is just wind up inside the fairing.  And that you just have to be prepared for.

The sta-bo bushings I got because I got them cheap.  That's the only reason I tried them.  Someone got them, didn't like them, and sold them for $35.  For that it was worth it to experiment.

There was a difference with them.  And one I liked.  It wasn't great but it was beneficial.  They "stiffened" the back end of the bike up when finishing any turn.  The whole bike responds to throttle application to be pulled upright more quickly and "solidly" from from to rear with the bushings in compared to without. 

Had no idea what to expect of them.  So when noticed that right off the bat it was a pleasant surprise.  As said, it's not a huge difference.  But it is a good one.
Too bad, the MoCo couldn't see fit to add these 'improvements' to their flagship touring motorcycles.  :confused5: :-\   spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2008, 01:08:30 PM »

Too bad, the MoCo couldn't see fit to add these 'improvements' to their flagship touring motorcycles.  :confused5: :-\   spyder

Guess since they don't help, dramatically, every time; but only make the riding experience a little more enjoyable and only slightly more safe they're just not as important as a chrome starter.  Oh, wait, we never got those to begin with either :oops: .
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 21 queries.