Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rust  (Read 1622 times)

yort4041

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSE3 Black Ice
    • CVO2: Big Dog PitBull
Rust
« on: February 09, 2008, 05:09:27 PM »

Does anyone know of problems with the chrome covers rusting on the 07 SERKs? I have kept mine in the garage since day one and today was wiping her down, I noticed the left side motor cover seems to be staring to rust. I almost looks like minor chips. Is this something covered by warranty?
Any help is appreciated.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Rust
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 05:18:59 PM »

Does anyone know of problems with the chrome covers rusting on the 07 SERKs? I have kept mine in the garage since day one and today was wiping her down, I noticed the left side motor cover seems to be staring to rust. I almost looks like minor chips. Is this something covered by warranty?
Any help is appreciated.

Welcome aboard.  You'll see this sooner or later so might as well start now.  Here ya go:
:worthless: :worthless:

Short of a pic how about a different description of what you mean by "motor cover."  Rocker box?  Or something else?

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 06:38:25 PM »

Any help is appreciated.

Pictures would be great because there isn't much, besides fasteners, on the motor to rust. It's almost all aluminum.

Show us what you're seeing. I'm sure we'll have something to say about it, some of it may even be helpful. ;D

Welcome.

:indian_chief:

103_RK

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 06:37:23 AM »

Wha t did you use to clean it?  I used to wax my chrome along with the painted surfaces until someone told me that waxing chrome causes it to rust.
103 RK
2003 FLHRSEI2

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 06:41:56 AM »

If the chrome is pitted the MoCo will cover under warranty. Usually the chrome is pretty good. Put a good coat of polish on to and wait to see if it reappears.

Piper

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 01:40:47 PM »

Wha t did you use to clean it?  I used to wax my chrome along with the painted surfaces until someone told me that waxing chrome causes it to rust.
pitting on chrome  is more than likely to be caused by something breaking the super thin chrome surface and working down to the reflective nickel layer. Really bad pitting can come from things such as road salt, sand, abrasive brake dust improperly removed.

I believe the parts you are referring to are aluminum though.
Other parts like Chrome steel wheels usually are plated using nickel then chrome.

Chrome alloy wheels are triple plated: copper to fill pores and provide a better surface for nickel. Then nickel and chrome.

Once something like salt gets through the chrome top layer, it will chemically react with nickel, then the copper (if it's an alloy wheel).

Wax does not cause pitting.

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 04:54:27 PM »

Any help is appreciated.

:verfsmile: :zthread: :verfsmile:
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

Rooster452

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 SERK
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 10:09:12 PM »

The wheels and mirrors on mine pitted bad. Dealer replacing all under warranty, with no hassle.

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 20 queries.