Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cometic base gasket question  (Read 2943 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Cometic base gasket question
« on: February 09, 2008, 11:07:56 PM »

Will finally have some time tomorrow to futz with the bike a bit.  It's been what seems like a month of real life intruding on things I'd prefer to be doing.  Went out in the garage a half hour ago to lay some parts back out and uncover things so would be ready to go in the morning.  Opened up the gasket kit and immediately came away with a question.  If anyone has experience with the combination of Cometic gaskets and Axtell cylinders (or Cometic gaskets generally) please chime in.

My experience with Cometics previously has been they don't use o-rings.  In automotive or bike applications they just about never use o-rings with their gaskets.

The package supplied that I just opened and spread out has the expected cylinder base gaskets but there are also a pair of cylinder base o-rings with all the parts.  No docs with any of it saying what to use or not and nothing on Cometic's website.

So, if someone knows enlighten me please.  Are the Cometics now using either cylinder o-rings or drain back o-rings or both?  Or are they like they've been in the past and use none?

Thanks guys.  Hopefully someone will know doctrine here.  If not, well, Sunday is shot and I'll call the venor on Monday :drink: .

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Cometic base gasket question
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 11:09:41 PM »

Will finally have some time tomorrow to futz with the bike a bit.  It's been what seems like a month of real life intruding on things I'd prefer to be doing.  Went out in the garage a half hour ago to lay some parts back out and uncover things so would be ready to go in the morning.  Opened up the gasket kit and immediately came away with a question.  If anyone has experience with the combination of Cometic gaskets and Axtell cylinders (or Cometic gaskets generally) please chime in.

My experience with Cometics previously has been they don't use o-rings.  In automotive or bike applications they just about never use o-rings with their gaskets.

The package supplied that I just opened and spread out has the expected cylinder base gaskets but there are also a pair of cylinder base o-rings with all the parts.  No docs with any of it saying what to use or not and nothing on Cometic's website.

So, if someone knows enlighten me please.  Are the Cometics now using either cylinder o-rings or drain back o-rings or both?  Or are they like they've been in the past and use none?

Thanks guys.  Hopefully someone will know doctrine here.  If not, well, Sunday is shot and I'll call the venor on Monday :drink: .

You will use the base gaskets and the O-Rings Don. Use the O-Rings normal, and use Gask-a-cinch on both sides of the base gaskets, like an Evo. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 11:16:55 PM »

like an Evo. ;)

Hoist! 8)

Evo's never broke :drink: .

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 11:17:26 PM »

Don,

Did you buy the gasket set directly from Cometic?

Wes included a write-up describing how to use the gasket and o-ring.  Kind of an idiot proof instruction with pictures and step by step instructions.  I believe he wrote the instructions.  If you knew his intention was for you to use both the gaskets and o-rings - it is pretty self explanatory.  And Wes did specifically instruct me to use both the gaskets and o-rings.

I was under the impression from him that this was his method when using Axtell cylinders.  I believe Axtell is giving the same instruction.

But I did not know Cometic was supplying kits this way...  I was under the impression Wes/Axtell was adding the o-rings to the standard Cometic gasket set.

And that's all I know about that!

Harry may know more...cause he mentioned his motor is the built the same way...

Scott
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 11:18:53 PM »

Evo's never broke :drink: .

Not once we figured out how to seal the base gaskets, fixed the early cylinder stud pulling problem and the bad cases! :nixweiss: ::)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 11:23:01 PM »

Don,

Did you buy the gasket set directly from Cometic?

Wes included a write-up describing how to use the gasket and o-ring.  Kind of an idiot proof instruction with pictures and step by step instructions.  I believe he wrote the instructions.  If you knew his intention was for you to use both the gaskets and o-rings - it is pretty self explanatory.  And Wes did specifically instruct me to use both the gaskets and o-rings.

I was under the impression from him that this was his method when using Axtell cylinders.  I believe Axtell is giving the same instruction.

But I did not know Cometic was supplying kits this way...  I was under the impression Wes/Axtell was adding the o-rings to the standard Cometic gasket set.

And that's all I know about that!

Harry may know more...cause he mentioned his motor is the built the same way...

Scott

Scott

It was all supplied by Axtell.  And not a bit of guidance.  I would have thought less about it if the cylinder o-rings were part of the Cometic gasket kit.  But it was without o-rings, even the bundled parts list doesn't list them.  Based on Cometic stuff from years past that's what I'd have expected if I'd not stopped to think about it either.  Especially in automotive they seem to disdain o-ring seals.

But then, in a baggie separetely are two cylinder o-rings with a hand written magic marker "95" on bag.  Definitely not part of the Cometic gasket kit.  But supplied along side it nonetheless.  So I wasn't sure if someone mistakenly got them in the wrong box, if they are supposed to be there; or what?

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 11:26:20 PM »

It was all supplied by Axtell.  And not a bit of guidance.  I would have thought less about it if the cylinder o-rings were part of the Cometic gasket kit.  But it was without o-rings, even the bundled parts list doesn't list them.  Based on Cometic stuff from years past that's what I'd have expected if I'd not stopped to think about it either.  Especially in automotive they seem disdain o-ring seals.

But then, in a baggie separetely are two cylinder o-rings with a hand written magic marker "95" on bag.  Definitely not part of the Cometic gasket kit.  But supplied along side it nonetheless.  So I wasn't sure if someone mistakenly got them in the wrong box, if they are supposed to be there; or what?

That is how my o rings were packaged and labeled also.  I think Pam told me she put them in the Cometic kit.  My Cometic kit had been opend and taped shut.  It seems as though Axtell and Wes are promoting the same method??  The only difference is Wes included some instructions...
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 11:28:12 PM »

That is how my o rings were packaged and labeled also.  I think Pam told me she put them in the Cometic kit.  My Cometic kit had been opend and taped shut.  It seems as though Axtell and Wes are promoting the same method??  The only difference is Wes included some instructions...

Ok, seeing the same type of bundling is enough to convince me.  Since used in one place are they using o-rings on both the cylinder base and return galley also?

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 11:30:45 PM »

Ok, seeing the same type of bundling is enough to convince me.  Since used in one place are they using o-rings on both the cylinder base and return galley also?

yep...
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 11:36:07 PM »

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 11:37:05 PM »

Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 02:19:24 AM »

Well crap.  Already found out that tomorrow is FUBAR'd for "me time."  At least most of the day.  So screwed around for an hour tonight.  Pistons are on.  New studs are in.  Rings are gapped and they're on too.  But now have to be be productive for an hour or so before going to bed.  Real life sucks.

Scott, how were your rings for gap?  I had one compression ring and one scraper that wasn't just too tight but actually had overlap.  How do you spell broken ring boys and girls ::) ?

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 07:24:00 AM »

Well crap.  Already found out that tomorrow is FUBAR'd for "me time."  At least most of the day.  So screwed around for an hour tonight.  Pistons are on.  New studs are in.  Rings are gapped and they're on too.  But now have to be be productive for an hour or so before going to bed.  Real life sucks.

Scott, how were your rings for gap?  I had one compression ring and one scraper that wasn't just too tight but actually had overlap.  How do you spell broken ring boys and girls ::) ?

hmm... that's odd. 

Wes supplied his "Cycle Rama design rings" and gapped them prior to shipping them to me...so I didn't encounter that issue.
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 20 queries.