Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: NBC disrespect  (Read 2089 times)

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
NBC disrespect
« on: February 26, 2008, 03:53:57 PM »

ALL *( WAY off topic)
NBC recently aired a real disrespectful Law and Order, that disrespects reserve and aux. cops everywhere.  I know there are a few of you on the site, and thought i would share this rant in memory of the two NYPD APOs killed in the line of duty this past year

if you are so moved, please sign the petition on the bottom link

thanks

To: President of NBC

On February 13, 2008, NBC aired an episode of Law and Order titled "Illegal". The plotline of the episode was a NYPD Auxiliary Police officer shooting a gun into a crowd of innocent civilians at a peaceful protest, killing a woman. In the episode, numerous derogatory statements against the Auxiliary Police were said, including calling a Auxiliary Officer a "wannabe", and saying they are not "real cops".

NYPD Auxiliary officers call these statements and this episode a slap in the face to the Auxiliary police, and a complete disrespect to all Auxiliary officers. Auxiliary officers are volunteer officers who volunteer their time to patrol the streets of NYC to help the community and keep crime down. Auxiliary officers go through a training course before becoming Auxiliary officers, and they patrol the streets of NYC in full police uniform. While on patrol, they run the same risk of getting injured or killed as regular officers.

This petition is to demand NBC have an episode of Law and Order that positively represents the NYPD Auxiliary. We feel that the episode "Illegal" was not a accurate representation of the Auxiliary police in many ways, and feel that the Auxiliary police and its officers deserves a proper representation on Law and Order.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned

Here is the link to sign the petition

http://www.petitiononline.com/auxpdny/petition.html

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
Re: NBC disrespect
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 03:56:58 PM »

Anything to "sell" commercials I guess. Shame on them!!

Howie

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 05:34:22 PM »

Scot, Tivo watched that episode for me.  Then I watched some part of it some time later.  Remember thinking at the time they were painting with an awfully broad brush.  The generalization didn't set well at all.

There are differences across jurisdictions though.  I remember you describing previously what the requirements were to be a reserve officer in your jurisdiction.  Most I have any familiarity with are at least similar.  Unfortunately not all though. 

A local sheriff's force is one that has to or chooses to reach a little lower in to the barrel for manpower sometimes.  Cowboys and folks that panic a little too much a think a little too little while armed.  Try to cut them a very wide berth when events are going on that you know they'll be out in numbers.

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 05:38:23 PM »

Scot, Tivo watched that episode for me.  Then I watched some part of it some time later.  Remember thinking at the time they were painting with an awfully broad brush.  The generalization didn't set well at all.

There are differences across jurisdictions though.  I remember you describing previously what the requirements were to be a reserve officer in your jurisdiction.  Most I have any familiarity with are at least similar.  Unfortunately not all though. 

A local sheriff's force is one that has to or chooses to reach a little lower in to the barrel for manpower sometimes.  Cowboys and folks that panic a little too much a think a little too little while armed.  Try to cut them a very wide berth when events are going on that you know they'll be out in numbers.

There most assuredly are jurisdictions with really bad programs.  There are many more with good programs.. The program in NYPD, IMHO leaves a lot to be desired.  but nonetheless, especially given law and orders rep for 'ripping stories from the headlines" and the very recent murders of two unarmed aux POs in the city, i find it tacky at best.

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 05:40:50 PM »

NBC is  Liberal Bias - Written into progaming and News , Just what did you expect  ???

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 05:47:57 PM »

Don't know anything about that show. I will say that the Aux NYPD has things rougher than regular cops on the streets for one reason! They're in uniform and have no GUNS! And they volunteer for it. Just to help serve  their community. That puts them in some really bad spots at times here. So these guys deserve some admiration and respect! Thanks Scot! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 05:52:14 PM »

There most assuredly are jurisdictions with really bad programs.  There are many more with good programs.. The program in NYPD, IMHO leaves a lot to be desired.  but nonetheless, especially given law and orders rep for 'ripping stories from the headlines" and the very recent murders of two unarmed aux POs in the city, i find it tacky at best.

Couldn't agree more.  They may borrow from the news of the day.  But they certainly take liberties with the spin they put on those stories.  Given the "real" news they had available this was a put up job.  Low class.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 05:52:29 PM »

Our auxiliary cops are mostly senior citizens who help out with traffic at accident scenes and ride around in their own white cruiser with white uniforms moving the automatic radar here and there and ratting out anyone they see doing anything they think is wrong. A few actually tried to stop people and hand out tickets so the Sheriff had to crack down on em. They're mostly nice well meaning folks, but I shudder to think of them with guns in their hands.I guess that the term auxillary police means different things in different places. In the context of what you're saying about NYC, I'd say the depiction of the NYC Police Auxiliary seems unfair, however my signature means nothing on your petition because I have no point of reference with which to speak to the issue with any authority. Good luck though

B B  

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 05:56:17 PM »

Our auxiliary cops are mostly senior citizens who help out with traffic at accident scenes and ride around in their own white cruiser with white uniforms moving the automatic radar here and there and ratting out anyone they see doing anything they think is wrong. A few actually tried to stop people and hand out tickets so the Sheriff had to crack down on em. They're mostly nice well meaning folks, but I shudder to think of them with guns in their hands.I guess that the term auxillary police means different things in different places. In the context of what you're saying about NYC, I'd say the depiction of the NYC Police Auxiliary seems unfair, however my signature means nothing on your petition because I have no point of reference with which to speak to the issue with any authority. Good luck though

B B  

Big B

In your part of the world, these types of folks would be referred to as Reserve cops...  much diff than the little old ladies you refer to....
in cali, they have something like 700 hrs of training before they turn em loose on their own..a very professional deal...  a lot different than auxiliaries

different places use different terminology

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 05:58:23 PM »

B B  

oh by the way, its not my petition...  im just passing it on...  and i understand where you are coming from

resqdoc

• Full CVO Member
  • de oppresso libre
    • MT

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 08:18:25 PM »

Good topic. I'm a Reserve Officer and first qualified as one in San Bernardino, California per the standard listed above for California. I'm not a wannbe either, far from it, my service is in the community's interest, not my own.

I'm a Tactical Physician, very well qualified in medicine, law enforcement and weapons. I wear a Combat Medic Badge earned in combat with US Army Special Forces.  Police Departments can't afford guys like me on a day to day basis. They call us up for severly hazardous situations (for the officers, public and the perps too). Reserve status allows me to serve and protect but also be protected should things go to hell.

Lots of other guys just like me out there applying our knowledge and skills only as needed by our departments.
2007 FLHRSE3 with D&D Fatcats, SERT, AK-40 & Bitubo 330 mm, Glide-Pro, Clearview windscreen

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 08:36:49 PM »

Good topic. I'm a Reserve Officer and first qualified as one in San Bernardino, California per the standard listed above for California. I'm not a wannbe either, far from it, my service is in the community's interest, not my own.

I'm a Tactical Physician, very well qualified in medicine, law enforcement and weapons. I wear a Combat Medic Badge earned in combat with US Army Special Forces.  Police Departments can't afford guys like me on a day to day basis. They call us up for severly hazardous situations (for the officers, public and the perps too). Reserve status allows me to serve and protect but also be protected should things go to hell.

Lots of other guys just like me out there applying our knowledge and skills only as needed by our departments.

Thanks for the post. Nice to know there's people like you out there when/if we need you  :2vrolijk_21:

B B

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 09:36:49 PM »

Scot, I guess this is where I should jump in. I am, and have been for the last 10 years, a SC State Constable. As such, I have received the same training as a reserve officers and am required to do in-service training on a yearly basis. There is an extensive training program that we go through.The protocols that we adhere to are there to ensure our safety as well as the public. Unfortunately, sometimes these are not enough. This past year we lost one of our constables (and a friend) in the line of duty. He was shot during a routine traffic stop.

We do this as a service to our communities and not as a "wannabe". I work with several agencies and each has their own 'use' for our services, whether it be traffic patrol, backup, or court room duty. Just yesterday I had to assist with a drunk with a knife at a bar fight.

I too saw the show and was a little more than disappointed in the view that they took. I can not speak of NY, but here in SC we are professionally trained and authorized to enforce all of the laws of the state of South Carolina.

AJ

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 09:56:43 PM »

In my previous life, when I was in the Navy and stationed on Guam, I requested through my command to become a Guam Police Reserve Officer.  There was no difference in our training, then there was for the "normal" paid officer.  I had to go through the same 22 weeks of academy training that normal police officers took during the day, I did four nights a week for 6 hours a night, and all day Saturday.  We were given medical, self-defense, weapons and qualification, and police procedures training.  After graduating from the academy, I was required to ride 300 hours with a regular and then go through an evaluation before I was allowed to patrol alone. Then I went through police motorcyle training to become a motor patrolman.  The only difference between us and the regulars was we didn't get paid; we had the same legal authority as the regulars.  If I got injured on the job, I received the same workman's comp and medical benefits the regular's got, and if I would have been killed in the line of duty, my survivors would have recieved the same benefits.  I joined the reserves not to be a wannabe, but because I really felt I could make a difference in protecting and serving the people of Guam.  That was one of the greatest and most satisfying time in my life.  I think the amount of authority is different from place to place.  Some are very limited in their authority and others have full authority like I did.  There are many different names applied, police auxillary, reserve, or part-timers.   To call anyone that volunteers their own time to try and make their community better or safer should never be labeled a "wannabe".   :soapbox:

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 07:57:28 AM »

I do not watch Law & Order.  NBC has sunk to a new low, evidently from what I am reading here, and for them that's below the low bar they keep resetting.

Quite a few friends in law enforcement - much respect for them.  Sure there is an occasional "bad apple" but for the most part, they are doing an excellent service for their communities whether they are reserve or auxiliary. 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 24 queries.