Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Engine venting question  (Read 3789 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Engine venting question
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2008, 03:35:08 AM »

Are you still having a problem with that back cylinder? If the back is allowing blow by this could cause high crank case pressure, much higher than normal. In turn you would get more pressure and oil venting out your breather. The breather is to release pressure from the case, it pulses with the movement of the pistons. If you could build a catch can with some type of breather at the top, then you could plum it back to the vent tube. But you need to allow it to breath, if you just plum it back into the system, the pressure will also be forced back in and would probably push out you oil cap! If the rear cylinder is still a problem, I'd get it fixed, this could be the majority of the problem with the vent.

Talon, I don't know that I'm having any real problem right now.  The conversation was speculative to begin with.  If there is anything it appears to be minimal now.  As with everything else will not prejudge any of it until it's had a chance to run more and see a wider temperature range.  So far, however, isn't too bad.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Engine venting question
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2008, 03:39:06 AM »

Twolaner,
I can agree with mrootberg  to a certain degree.  It would depend on how many miles are on the engine.
Before synthetic came out to be the oil of choice, fossil was all that could be gotten.
The real issue would be did the rings seat themselves in the cylinders. And that depended on the ring make up and who made them.  The average seating mileage use to be around 5000 miles, otherwise there would be blowby to be experienced. Thereby creating a great deal of pressure, the rest  you know about.
If it is only vapor you are dealing with, feeding behind the A/C through the back plate would be a good idea.
If there is oil along with the vapor, a PCV valve would be a good addition to the vent line. This could keep the throttle body free of oil. There are quite a few scenarios that can be apply to this situation.
I hope I am helpful with this.

Vag

No friendly suggestion is ever unhelpful Vag.  The new top end has only 100 miles or so now.  The questions at the onset of this thread were speculative coming from the prior history of the engine and more general possibilities.  It needs to run a bit before I do anything.  Having the various ideas in hand to weigh against behaviors that may manifest is never a bad thing though.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 21 queries.